can you do a chart sideways?

Sofia

I know that edgings are often done sideways so you can decide how long to make it.

But I want to do a picture filet, deer in a field. It would be about 350 blocks wide and 60 tall. I know that typically you would work the pattern as you would look at it.

I was wondering if it could be done sideways - rotating the graph 90 degrees and essentially working top to bottom.

(Partly because catching mistakes would be oh so less frustrating! - not as much to rip out.)

Any ever tried this? how does this affect the look of the piece?

Any ideas.

Yes it can affect the look of the piece if you are using a regular dc, You could probably get away with it if you used the extended double crochet that makes your block more square than a regular dc.

Personally I like the stitches going up instead of sideways. But that is personal preference. There is nothing saying you can't do it from the short end if you so desire as long as you get your stitch height correct.

If you need instructions for an edc let me know and I will post some.

Good luck with your piece. I can only imagine how wide that piece is going to be when done. What size thread are you planning on using?

I understand your reluctance since I am working on a piece that is 199 by 75 blocks wide. I am being very careful and paying close attention so I won't have to frog any of it. I am doing my piece with the stitches facing up and down.

i do it all the time...but i design my own and design them that way. Kathy is right about the extended double crochet. I love it for filet and now it is the only stitch i use for filet. I learned it when testing a patttern for Kathy a few years ago.

I would do a test pattern first, and try it out. Maybe something 5 x 10 or something. Not too big, but enough to get the feeling of following the chart.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Here are my instructions for an edc.

edc = extended double crochet which is done in this manner, Begin normal double crochet until three loops on hook, instead of yo and drawing through 2 loops, yo and draw though 1 loop, you will still have 3 loops on your hook when you have done this, proceed to finish the stitch in the normal manner. This will give you a slightly longer than normal dc,

This is a great stitch for filet. I don't use anything else anymore.

Aside from the other excellent advice, one thing you may wnat to take into consideration is that if you plan to hang this for display, changing the direction of the stitches may effect how it looks over time as the stretch will be different.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been crocheting thread items (especially filet) for 61+ years now. Alot of whether to do the edc versus dc depends on the pattern and it's age. Some of the older ones don't look as nice with the edc (some that are supposed to be round came out more oval (perhaps the original designer made allowances for the shorter dc by adding extra rows).. That is just my humble opinion of course.

It is important that you do work up a swatch, rather than get part way through the project to discover you don't like how it looks and wind up frogging it.

I am attached to the old dc for filet, but have worked some newer patterns with the

edc. I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

Archived