2012 Christmas/Winter CAL - SEE NEW LINK TO 2013 THREAD IN POST #1

judianne

:cheerI think I've found a good pattern to start with. Well for now anyways, lol. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kew-gardens-afghan

I don't make that many afghans at all, but I really like how they look and wish I had the tolerance to take on such a long project. I have a good feeling about this one and it can sure use up some of my stash too.

What do you think? :)

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:cheerI think I've found a good pattern to start with. Well for now anyways, lol. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kew-gardens-afghan

I don't make that many afghans at all, but I really like how they look and wish I had the tolerance to take on such a long project. I have a good feeling about this one and it can sure use up some of my stash too.

I think its pretty cool, I might just make one with all the homespun I have in my stash

Morning everyone

Marisa

I thought the graph-ghan was for a Christmas gift . You'll get it done in time I bet ! You are speedy and can get the projects cranked out quickly .

So how are you liking the new place ? Glad you moved ? I bet your friend misses you .

Cindy

Knit slippers are very nice. About 30 years ago, I took a beginner knitting class and that's what we learned to make . I thought they turned out so pretty. Nice and squishy .Everyone would like slippers as a gift. Good idea . And since knitting goes slower than crochet, you have plenty of time to get them done for next year .

I started the babydoll blankie last night . Decided just to do it in plain old hdc's with a shell border . Something fairly quick to do ,and I thought it might be a little sturdier than something made in a more stretchy stitch . So,this is kind-of a gift for the Christmas just past . I got her the baby,a stroller,and a small bag containing baby bottles,a bowl and spoon . She was so funny to watch her playing with them . Been quite a long time since we got to see a 2 year old open gifts . :manyheart

Well, off to go visit the House for a bit .

I've had that in my favs for quite a while! Maybe this year is the year? Good luck and can't wait to see your progress!!!:cheer

Julie- Your post about a doll carriage, baby bottles, doll brought back lots of happy memories when my DD's were young- oh, the excitement on Christmas morning! I can't wait till next year and especially the one after when Ryan has some sort of clue what is going on! Hope the yarn isn't giving you too much difficulty!!!

I went to craft club last night and I started to knit! Definitely much slower than crochet- but enjoyable in a different way- I know my first love will be crochet, but it's nice to learn something new to mix it up a bit!

Have a great day everyone!

Hi Joanne

Yes, it's refreshing to see a little girl playing with baby dolls . It seems the world is so much more modern now that the kids all play with video games,etc. I guess I'm showing my age,but I like the old fashioned toys where a kid needs to use their imagination a bit when playing .

All she asked for was a PINK BABY ,so everything I got her was pink . And the blanket will be pink too !

Congrats on the branching out into knitting . I agree,crochet is easier to learn and faster ,but I like knitting also,since it's a little change once in awhile .

Did they start you out on a project, or just a basic knit stitch to practice on first ?

Hi, ladies!

I love round ripples with their peaks and valleys...but being just a circle, this one looks like a fun project. Using stash is a great idea!

I went to the LB site and will insert the link inmy first post.

Thanks for sharing!

Morning everyone

I started the babydoll blankie last night . Decided just to do it in plain old hdc's with a shell border . Something fairly quick to do ,and I thought it might be a little sturdier than something made in a more stretchy stitch . So,this is kind-of a gift for the Christmas just past . I got her the baby,a stroller,and a small bag containing baby bottles,a bowl and spoon . She was so funny to watch her playing with them . Been quite a long time since we got to see a 2 year old open gifts . :manyheart

Awwww....how cute!!!:c9

I went to craft club last night and I started to knit! Definitely much slower than crochet- but enjoyable in a different way- I know my first love will be crochet, but it's nice to learn something new to mix it up a bit!

Yay!! Did Phyllis show you how to do it? She knits beautifully:yes

Later..!

I've had that one saved for a while now. I love RR's and have been wanting to try a circular one! I just put this one on the list this year! :)

Morning everyone

It's so much fun watching the little ones open there things. I have 5 grands, 4 of them are girls! (6m-5y) I was so pleased when the 5yo opened the dresses I had made for her barbie doll (and they fit! whew!) and she loved them!

Hi Ann

That is great that you made the Barbie dresses. I can still remember someone making me a whole boxfull of them for me when I was small. I don't remember who they were from. Someone who mailed them to me ,but most of my family lived far away ,so not sure who it was.

I asked my mom one day and she didnt remember anyone even sending them to me. I am guessing it would have been my Aunt Dorothy since I know she liked doing crafts .

I was so thrilled to get them because I played Barbies a lot when I was a kid .

It sounds like your grandkids are all at that fun age .

Good morning everyone :hi

Thanks for the cheerleading Judy :hug I got ends hidden last night and then added a row. I hope to do more tonight, but have a haircut appointment at 7, so we'll see what happens from there.

Crochet Boosh - That's a beautiful afghan :cheer

Julie - I love it here and definitely do not regret my move!!! Thanks for reminding me that I was supposed to call Mary this morning :lol I called at work and when she answered the phone so said she missed me and is not very happy there anymore.

I'll be back :D

Hi Ann

That is great that you made the Barbie dresses. I can still remember someone making me a whole boxfull of them for me when I was small. I don't remember who they were from. Someone who mailed them to me ,but most of my family lived far away ,so not sure who it was.

I asked my mom one day and she didnt remember anyone even sending them to me. I am guessing it would have been my Aunt Dorothy since I know she liked doing crafts .

The girls are all at a fun age, 2 of them being 2 yrs old! :lol The 5 yr old is really getting interested in watching me crochet and has asked me to teach her! We live some distance from each other so that is a bit of a problem, but we'll work it out. I was thrilled with the barbie clothes since they were the first doll clothes I'd ever made and I just went with ww yarn patterns and no doll to try them on. Oh boy, was I sweating it out! :lol It's wonderful that you have fond memories of someone sending you some doll clothes. That's really awesome!

Hi Ann

Making doll's clothes was one of my reasons for learning to crochet. I ALWAYS wanted hand made Barbie clothes and my Mom couldn't crochet and at that point there were not tons of knitting patterns. Friends had the neatest outfits that family members had crocheted. I make the various Barbie dolls and the 18" doll stuff.

I found knitting patterns for Mom so she makes the grands and the great grands Barbie, teddy bear, and 18" doll clothes to their delight.

The girls are all at a fun age, 2 of them being 2 yrs old! :lol The 5 yr old is really getting interested in watching me crochet and has asked me to teach her! We live some distance from each other so that is a bit of a problem, but we'll work it out. I was thrilled with the barbie clothes since they were the first doll clothes I'd ever made and I just went with ww yarn patterns and no doll to try them on. Oh boy, was I sweating it out! :lol It's wonderful that you have fond memories of someone sending you some doll clothes. That's really awesome!

I buy my models at yard sales or the cheap bathing suit Barbie's at Walmart or Target. I can usually get one for a couple of dollars and it saves me sweating the fit.:lol Last year for Christmas Mom got a complete set of all the different sizes so she wouldn't have to find them.

If they get into the 18" dolls I suggest getting a Springfield doll at one of the craft stores when they have a 50% off coupon. You can usually get one for around $10 with the coupon and they work well as a model for the American Girl dolls. I know if it fits my Springfield it fits the girls' more expensive American Girl doll.

Ann

Are the 2 year olds twins, or just cousins ? That would be quite a challennge to keep them all occupied at once unless they all play well together . I only ever had one of my grandkids at a time,so not sure how well I would have done with all of them here. The others all live in Korea.Their dad is in the army,so we rarely ever see them. They are growing up now,the oldest will be 14 next month ( on my birthday) . Best gift I ever got .

I remember her coming when she was about 2,and they stayed with us for a week or so,and me and her went out after it rained and stomped in all the mud puddles. I wonder if she still remembers that ?

That WOULD be a little worrisome,making barbie clothes without a barbie to use for a model. You must have done well though .

Hi Bailey

My mom wasnt crafty at all,so she wouldnt have been able to make baby doll clothes . When I was a kid,we'd trade Barbie clothes with the other kids on the street,so we all kinda shared and they got passed around a lot . We all had the barbie suitcases and I even had a REAL Barbie House ( Made in CARDBOARD in those days. That will tell you how old I am .)

I had a dollhouse made of metal .Another dead giveaway of my age . :)

That is really a nice afghan. Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that one before.

Julie- Your post about a doll carriage, baby bottles, doll brought back lots of happy memories when my DD's were young- oh, the excitement on Christmas morning! I can't wait till next year and especially the one after when Ryan has some sort of clue what is going on! Hope the yarn isn't giving you too much difficulty!!!

I enjoy knitting, but it requires more effort and concentration on my part than crochet does, so I try to stick to uncomplicated things.

It's so much fun watching the little ones open there things. I have 5 grands, 4 of them are girls! (6m-5y) I was so pleased when the 5yo opened the dresses I had made for her barbie doll (and they fit! whew!) and she loved them!

I have only grandsons, and they will be opening their gifts from us tonight. I can hardly wait. (And if I can't wait, I don't even want to think about how excited those boys are and what a hard time they are giving their mom!)

Hi Joanne

Yes, it's refreshing to see a little girl playing with baby dolls . It seems the world is so much more modern now that the kids all play with video games,etc. I guess I'm showing my age,but I like the old fashioned toys where a kid needs to use their imagination a bit when playing .

All she asked for was a PINK BABY ,so everything I got her was pink . And the blanket will be pink too !

Congrats on the branching out into knitting . I agree,crochet is easier to learn and faster ,but I like knitting also,since it's a little change once in awhile .

Did they start you out on a project, or just a basic knit stitch to practice on first ?

It's going to be a scarf---or I may end up stopping and making it a neckwarmer and add a button- time will tell!!!

Hi, ladies!

I love round ripples with their peaks and valleys...but being just a circle, this one looks like a fun project. Using stash is a great idea!

I went to the LB site and will insert the link inmy first post.

Thanks for sharing!

Awwww....how cute!!!:c9

Yay!! Did Phyllis show you how to do it? She knits beautifully:yes

Later..!

One of the other gals showed me- but Phyllis was there- and I've seen some of her beautiful knit projects!!! I'm sure if I get stuck, she'll help me out! :yes

I've had that in my favs for quite a while! Maybe this year is the year? Good luck and can't wait to see your progress!!!:cheer

:) Thanks everyone. I love how the afghan looks (simple LOL) I hope to make it with what yarn I have. I want to tough this one out, lol. Hope I get started on it this week :)

I enjoy knitting, but it requires more effort and concentration on my part than crochet does, so I try to stick to uncomplicated things.

:lol:lol Oh, Cindy- you should know me better than to think I'd do complicated!:lol:lol It does take more focus--and even with crochet- I'm about mindless and easy-- since I strain my brain so much at work!:lol I'm making a scarf (that may turn in to a neck-warmer) then I want to knit dishcloths/washcloths since I have so much Peaches n' creme I picked up at Dollar Tree!!!:yes

That's a very pretty pattern. Just remember that as it bigger the rounds will take longer and longer to do. Don't get discouraged though, the result will be stunning.

I'm still hiding tails and getting things together for mailing for this Christmas. Can't think about next Christmas yet. I'm rooting for all of you and may jump in later. :hug

Making doll's clothes was one of my reasons for learning to crochet. I ALWAYS wanted hand made Barbie clothes and my Mom couldn't crochet and at that point there were not tons of knitting patterns. Friends had the neatest outfits that family members had crocheted. I make the various Barbie dolls and the 18" doll stuff.

I found knitting patterns for Mom so she makes the grands and the great grands Barbie, teddy bear, and 18" doll clothes to their delight.

A lot of the patterns I found call for size 10 thread or sport weight yarn and have buttons or snaps sewn on! Yikes, so small! I steered away from them! :lol I might get braver this year. Do you make the patterns with the smaller stuff?

I buy my models at yard sales or the cheap bathing suit Barbie's at Walmart or Target. I can usually get one for a couple of dollars and it saves me sweating the fit.:lol Last year for Christmas Mom got a complete set of all the different sizes so she wouldn't have to find them.

If they get into the 18" dolls I suggest getting a Springfield doll at one of the craft stores when they have a 50% off coupon. You can usually get one for around $10 with the coupon and they work well as a model for the American Girl dolls. I know if it fits my Springfield it fits the girls' more expensive American Girl doll.

Thanks for the heads up! I figured that I'd probably look around at yard sales if I can get out this summer, not that there are very many in our small town! :lol

Ann

Are the 2 year olds twins, or just cousins ? That would be quite a challennge to keep them all occupied at once unless they all play well together . I only ever had one of my grandkids at a time,so not sure how well I would have done with all of them here. The others all live in Korea.Their dad is in the army,so we rarely ever see them. They are growing up now,the oldest will be 14 next month ( on my birthday) . Best gift I ever got .

I remember her coming when she was about 2,and they stayed with us for a week or so,and me and her went out after it rained and stomped in all the mud puddles. I wonder if she still remembers that ?

That WOULD be a little worrisome,making barbie clothes without a barbie to use for a model. You must have done well though .

Hi Bailey

My mom wasnt crafty at all,so she wouldnt have been able to make baby doll clothes . When I was a kid,we'd trade Barbie clothes with the other kids on the street,so we all kinda shared and they got passed around a lot . We all had the barbie suitcases and I even had a REAL Barbie House ( Made in CARDBOARD in those days. That will tell you how old I am .)

I had a dollhouse made of metal .Another dead giveaway of my age . :)

They are cousins, six months apart. We generally get together at my youngest son's home these days. It's easier on everyone for us to travel and that way the kids can go down for a nap in their own bed if need be. :) LOL, my mom wasn't crafty at all either. I remember having pieces of material wrapped around Barbie and held together with a pin!:lol I had the barbie suitcase too!

I have only grandsons, and they will be opening their gifts from us tonight. I can hardly wait. (And if I can't wait, I don't even want to think about how excited those boys are and what a hard time they are giving their mom!)

Have fun with your grandsons! I only have the one grandson, he's the oldest, 12 yrs old! Hard to believe he's growing up so quickly. Seems like he was just a tot!

Hi, ladies!!

:) Thanks everyone. I love how the afghan looks (simple LOL) I hope to make it with what yarn I have. I want to tough this one out, lol. Hope I get started on it this week :)

If you haven't done one of these before, I'll make a suggestion: hide the tails as you go or you'll be stunned when you see what you have to do when it's finished! Esp when using stash....

GO:cheerGO:cheer

You can do it!:clap

Good morning everyone :hi

I worked on the birthday gift graph ghan and reached the stopping point that I wanted to make it to :clap

Ann - My nephew wants to learn to crochet and he's 7, loves doing any kind of crafts and just making things in general. So I directed my SIL what to pick up, which he got for xmas, and on xmas day sat on the webcam with her to show her a chain and sc. So now she has to practice it to show my nephew :lol They live in Phoenix and we're in Pennsylvania so I understand your dilemma :yes I told her though that youtube videos are great for seeing how something is done. Good luck :hug

Julie - My mom was not crafty at all either, well, unless it was in the kitchen :drool

CrochetBoosh - I agree with Judy, hide the ends as you go :yes

Archived