My rows get shorter

Simba1970

Question

8 answers to this question

I agree with RoseRed. It looks like you're missing that last stitch on the ends. My students have this problem all the time. It may help you to count at the end of each row, until you can see where that last stitch is. Then depending on the stitch you're using make sure you're using the turning chain. sc-1 chain, hdc-2 chains, dc-3 chains, and trc-4. I hope that helps!

It might help to put a stitch marker into each end stitch until you get used to where you should be putting your stitches. I like to use bobby pins because they are much cheaper than purchased stitch markers and easy to flick out of the way, but you could use a safety pin or even paper clip as well.

:thinkYour picture is not too clear so may I ask what stitch you are using?

Remember, when you start a row, you need to work some Chain to lift you to the same height as the first stitch you are working.

If you are doing SC, you will do CH1, which will not stand as a stitch, then you will work the very first SC into the same place as the CH1 sits on which is the last stitch of the previous row.

You also need to make sure you work into the very last stitch of each row.

If you are working with DCs, you will generally start with CH3, which does stand as the first stitch, then you will work the next DC into the next available stitch, not the one the CH3 sits on.

Once again, you need to make sure you work into the last stich which in this case will be the CH3 from the start of the previous row.

Other stitches have more or less CH to start, depending on what stitch.

Of course, when you start following patterns, there will be occasions when these rules do not apply but this is how you get started.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

When I make my first stitch of the row I put a stitch marker in it. Then when I turn and start the next row I put a stitch marker in that first stitch. Then when I get to the end of that row my stitch marker is there to tell me exaxtly where to go in and I take it out, do the stitch, chain and turn and again put my stitch marker in ther first stitch and go down the row and I do this for every row. Really helped me to do that when I was starting out. Mary

Archived