What is Thread Crochet

bootlui

This will probably sound really silly but what is thread crotchet?Is it the same as normal crotchet but using a different type of thread ... From what i've read in this sub forum there seems to be different types of 'stitch's' eg filet and popcorn.

I'm slightly confused ...

Say for example i only know how to do normal crochet - slip stitch, single/double/treble crotchet would i be able to thread crochet or would i have to learn some new stitches first

( Also any beginners patterns would be helpful )

:P

This will probably sound really silly but what is thread crotchet?Is it the same as normal crotchet but using a different type of thread ... From what i've read in this sub forum there seems to be different types of 'stitch's' eg filet and popcorn.

I'm slightly confused ...

Say for example i only know how to do normal crochet - slip stitch, single/double/treble crotchet would i be able to thread crochet or would i have to learn some new stitches first

( Also any beginners patterns would be helpful )

You don't need to learn new stitches. Filet is chains and doubles, or sometimes tiples. Popcorn stitches are used with lots of different weights of yarn.

One good site is Hass Design http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

It uses cotton thread and smaller hooks. I haven't been able to work with the thread although I LOVE some of the doll projects that are done in thread. I am going to try some hooks with different handles to see if I can overcome some of my challenges.

If you are looking for Filet directions and patterns I have some free links listed on my blog here.

i love thread crochet; I have been using the gold clover flat handle hooks

they have the steel hooks with the gold flat handle ; which makes it easier to use with the thinner cotton thread

I love making crocheted lace .

also made a huge bed spread ; finally got it finished ; I think you would enjoy it if you stick with it;

it does take awhile to get use to crocheting with the really small hooks . hugs sheila

Thread crochet is anything that is crocheted in thread. It doesn't matter what type of stitches are used. You can do anything in thread that you can do in yarn, and visa versa. Filet, popcorns, doilies and such can be done in either. It's totally up to you.

The lure of thread is the delicate look and the fact that the detail of the stitches tend to show up more as it it always smooth instead of fuzzy.

I happen to love the look of thread and the feel of working with it also. For me it's my number one choice.

You don't have to learn anything new, Just adjusting to the finer hooks and thread.

Have fun and enjoy!

I have a follow up question then.

In Sweden we call yarn, the thinnest ones are called crochet yarn, in Australia I think they call everything wool.

What is thread? Is it the same in the UK as in USA/Canada?

I'm not sure about your European or Canadian terminology but in the U.S. crochet thread is typically made of mercerized cotton. It looks like (and really is, I guess) a fine-quality string in lovely colors. It comes in several sizes from #5 (the largest) down to #50 (hard to find and about the size of sewing thread). #50 is often used for tatting instead of crochet, although a few crocheters use it, too. Some of the thread is quite inexpensive and may be fairly soft and a little fuzzy. Some of the better threads are smooth and have a beautiful twist to them which is very pretty. #10 and #20 are popular sizes for doilies and the kind of work mentioned earlier for doll dresses.

I'm not sure I'm answering your question, Flia, and certainly not sure I have all this information exactly correct. If I've misstated will someone please correct me?

I made a old fashioned hexagon popcorn motif and it is really pretty

it is the eruc and it took around 3 years to make it and put it together .

sometimes soon I will see if son will put new pictures of my crocheted things, and knitted and my quilts .

I have used the cotton thread for years and years . hugs . sheila

I agree with Carla. Some of the older patterns refer to #10 crochet thread as 'bedspread cotton'.

'Wool' used to described heavier weights is I think an old-fashioned expression in the US. I hear it used by ladies of my mom's generation, who would have learned to knit/crochet before artificial fibers were available, so it all really was wool [animal fiber] back then except heavier weight 'kitchen cotton' for wash cloths.

Wool would be a yarn no matter how small as it would have a fuzz to it.

Thread at least here in the USA doesn't have a pill to it. It doesn't fuzz up if rubbed. It can be cotton or acrylic, silk or a blend but it will always have a smooth finish. That is because it is made with longer fibers than your wool or animal fibers.

The sizes run from size 3 which is the largest size down to a size 100 which is almost like sewing thread. I have used smaller but it is no longer available. That was a DMC size 150. It was honest to goodness crochet thread. I still have a couple balls just to save for posterity.

If in doubt when reading a pattern I look at what hook size it calls for and go from there.

Thread is my number one choice and always will be to work with. I love the definitition the smooth finish gives it. I love the really fine threads and think it's a shame we consider size 10 and 20 fine. A piece done in say a size 50 thread is so delicate and lovely. But alas the world has changed. I cherish the pieces I have done by my grandmother done in these sizes of thread.

I'm not sure about your European or Canadian terminology but in the U.S. crochet thread is typically made of mercerized cotton. It looks like (and really is, I guess) a fine-quality string in lovely colors. It comes in several sizes from #5 (the largest) down to #50 (hard to find and about the size of sewing thread). #50 is often used for tatting instead of crochet, although a few crocheters use it, too. Some of the thread is quite inexpensive and may be fairly soft and a little fuzzy. Some of the better threads are smooth and have a beautiful twist to them which is very pretty. #10 and #20 are popular sizes for doilies and the kind of work mentioned earlier for doll dresses.

I'm not sure I'm answering your question, Flia, and certainly not sure I have all this information exactly correct. If I've misstated will someone please correct me?

Are you sure? What about thin cotton thread that isn't mercerized?

It's good to know the american expressions, as they are quite different from ours. I don't actually know about the expressions in the rest of Europe, I suppose we too have different ways of naming threads and yarns.

In Sweden wool is real wool, coming from animals.

Cotton is real cotton, coming from the cotton plant.

Thread is what we use for sewing :lol

It's good to know the american expressions, as they are quite different from ours. I don't actually know about the expressions in the rest of Europe, I suppose we too have different ways of naming threads and yarns.

In Sweden wool is real wool, coming from animals.

Cotton is real cotton, coming from the cotton plant.

Thread is what we use for sewing :lol

Exactly. We have different methods for naming the string (it's all string, actually). In Europe you name for the fiber the string is made of; in the U.S. we name for other characteristics such as how thick or thin, fuzzy or smooth that string might be. Here we have two general terms for our crochetable and knitable string: yarn and thread, neither of which automatically tells you what the fiber is, although with thread the best guess will always be cotton. Yarn is up for grabs as far as fiber content goes.

Archived