NEW Crochet and Knit Magazines

luckybmr

Found in the grocery store today the 2012 Spring Preview issue of LOVE OF CROCHET. There is also a LOVE OF KNITTING. Looks like a nice magazine just from glancing thru it. It will be my treat to read after I finish wrapping gifts :eek.

They have a web site www.loveofknitting.com

I haven't checked it out yet.

Found it at Barnes and Noble in MA today. Mostly clothes, there was one doll. I didn't know most of the yarns suggested and the alternative yarn suggestions were a nice idea, but I think I recognized one.:lol:lol Then again I only flipped through it while at the store. I decided to pick up the December issue of Inside Crochet with a Christmas gift card instead because they had finger puppets and an adorable VW bus doorstop. What I found strange was there was a subscription card for the knitting magazine, but nothing for the crochet version. I also found no info on the crochet magazine when I went to the website.

I was reading about this on ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/crochet-on-ravelry/1953629/1-25#24

They are reprinting some patterns that were first in Inside Crohcet, a British magazine. Maybe that is why some of the yarns are unfamiliar?

I found it at Target. It seems similar to Interweave in that it has actual articles on crochet and some charts, and a lot of clothes and accessories patterns.

I saw this magazine in Walmart today. I looked through it but didn't see any patterns in the current issue that really appealed to me. But, it's definitely worth another look when the next issue comes out.

I saw this magazine in Walmart today. I looked through it but didn't see any patterns in the current issue that really appealed to me. But, it's definitely worth another look when the next issue comes out.

I had the same hope. I would love to see a new magazine.

Finally got a chance to sit down with this and started the Sunny Scarf pattern. When I went to add it to my projects on Ravelry I discovered that it wasn't in the database yet BUT I found just about every pattern in this magazine (down to the same pictures!) were already published in the July 2011 issue of Inside Crochet. :blink Am I the only one to think that's weird? :lol

I mean, I suppose it's possible they just reprinted something for this mag since it's US and Inside Crochet is UK but still, no original patterns at all? I hope that this only happens with the first issue and the rest will be original. I would love to have another crochet magazine on the market but not if it's essentially another magazine with a different name.

Finally got a chance to sit down with this and started the Sunny Scarf pattern. When I went to add it to my projects on Ravelry I discovered that it wasn't in the database yet BUT I found just about every pattern in this magazine (down to the same pictures!) were already published in the July 2011 issue of Inside Crochet. :blink Am I the only one to think that's weird? :lol

I mean, I suppose it's possible they just reprinted something for this mag since it's US and Inside Crochet is UK but still, no original patterns at all? I hope that this only happens with the first issue and the rest will be original. I would love to have another crochet magazine on the market but not if it's essentially another magazine with a different name.

You are not the only one who thinks its weird! I do too. :think Is there any kind of introduction or editorial that talks about the fact that they are reprinting?

I liked Inside Crochet when it first came out but lately i havent seen an issue that i wanted to buy.

Also i am grouchy :grumpyenough to think it is odd that people known for quilting are putting out knitting and crochet magazines.

Maybe i have finally reached the point where i have " enough" books and magazines and that has made me super picky:lol

This was one of the complaints peope have been making.

There was a thread on Ravelry that both mags are from the same publisher.

Like Crochet Today! is connected with Coats & Clark, so the patterns sometimes show up on C&C or Red Heart site, and Crochet World & Crochet! are connected with DRG publications as are Freepatterns or e-patternscentral.

Well, I wouldn't mind if there was a little bit of crossover in patterns. I've noticed that Redheart.com might have a free pattern that was previously in a magazine which is fine with me since the rest of the magazine can't really be gotten anywhere else.

In this case, it's like they lifted the entire issue of Inside Crochet and just slapped a different cover picture and name on it. What's worse is that all of the pictures of the patterns are the exact ones from IC. There's no mention in the editor's letter that this is the case, they just introduce it like a new mag and get on with it.

So, I'll look for the next issue and see if this was just a case of "get it out there for the US" or if the issues will be continual lifts of other IC issues. I want more crochet mags on the market. I hate when I see 2-3 crochet mags beside 6-7 knitting mags but if all we get is repubs of other ones already available, not sure there's a point to it.

Well, I wouldn't mind if there was a little bit of crossover in patterns. I've noticed that Redheart.com might have a free pattern that was previously in a magazine which is fine with me since the rest of the magazine can't really be gotten anywhere else.

In this case, it's like they lifted the entire issue of Inside Crochet and just slapped a different cover picture and name on it. What's worse is that all of the pictures of the patterns are the exact ones from IC. There's no mention in the editor's letter that this is the case, they just introduce it like a new mag and get on with it.

So, I'll look for the next issue and see if this was just a case of "get it out there for the US" or if the issues will be continual lifts of other IC issues. I want more crochet mags on the market. I hate when I see 2-3 crochet mags beside 6-7 knitting mags but if all we get is repubs of other ones already available, not sure there's a point to it.

Your complaints are exactly what I have been reading. It is not as if they have attempted to even repackage it as something new.

Well, it would be one thing if they had packaged like it was two magazines combined, "we're giving you twice the content for half the price, bringing it from the UK" yadayadayada but they didn't. They took their content from the other magazine, put a different name and cover on it and then sold it as a completely brand new magazine and it's just not. Again, I'll be looking for the second issue and hope that it's all new content.

Well, it would be one thing if they had packaged like it was two magazines combined, "we're giving you twice the content for half the price, bringing it from the UK" yadayadayada but they didn't. They took their content from the other magazine, put a different name and cover on it and then sold it as a completely brand new magazine and it's just not. Again, I'll be looking for the second issue and hope that it's all new content.

Exactly

Well, it would be one thing if they had packaged like it was two magazines combined, "we're giving you twice the content for half the price, bringing it from the UK" yadayadayada but they didn't. They took their content from the other magazine, put a different name and cover on it and then sold it as a completely brand new magazine and it's just not.

I understand what you are saying. I even agree to a point.

However since it is a UK magazine and I personally have to go out of my way to find it and it's more money than I want to pay for a magazine; this other one IS a new magazine to me. Not to mention easy to find.

It's not going to be for everyone and I doubt I'm going to get every issue but it does look like I might get a couple.

Archived