Brava, new yarn from KnitPicks

CLLinda

I was just on the website for Knitpicks and I got to check out the new yarn called Brava. It's an acrylic yarn, that comes in large skeins and the price is only $2.99! And it comes in 30 wonderful colors.

It seems to be a good choice for yarn for charity projects. I plan on buying some with Christmas money.

So who's with me on trying this soft yarn?

:manyheart

I saw the announcement on their Facebook about Brava, and the good thing is that it comes in three weights: sport, worsted and bulky. I'm definitely going to try out worsted, but will be getting some in sport as well for some springtime wear :D

I'm not sure this is really such a bargain. The info says they are 100 gram balls which is the same as 3.5 ounces. At 2.99 per 3.5 ounces, that comes to approx 85 cents per ounce. For comparison purposes, Caron One pound is currently 8.99 per 16 ounces which is 56 cents/ounce. ILTY is 3.99 per 7 ounces (solid colors) which is 57 cents per ounce. I always try to do this calculation when looking at prices since yarn comes in som any different sized skeins. Having said that, I do think the colors are beautiful though

I'm not sure this is really such a bargain. The info says they are 100 gram balls which is the same as 3.5 ounces. At 2.99 per 3.5 ounces, that comes to approx 85 cents per ounce. For comparison purposes, Caron One pound is currently 8.99 per 16 ounces which is 56 cents/ounce. ILTY is 3.99 per 7 ounces (solid colors) which is 57 cents per ounce. I always try to do this calculation when looking at prices since yarn comes in som any different sized skeins. Having said that, I do think the colors are beautiful though

I think this yarn will compare to Encore. It's about the same amounts in the skeins and at a much cheaper price. Encore starts at $6 and this Brava starts at $3. To me, it's a nice price for good quality yarn.

I'm ordering some to check it out. I will let you know how it is shortly.

While the yarn may not be as cheap per yard as the Caron or ILTY, it may be a higher quality yarn. Sometimes it's worth paying a little more to get a higher quality yarn or the color variety you want, while other times price needs to be the primary consideration. I don't think there's one perfect yarn that will work for everyone in all instances, so it's good to have a variety of choices.

It's always great to have another yarn out there!

I bought the ww in Eggplant, Fairy Tale. and Freesia. I can't wait until it comes.

And I agree with Amy. It's always good to have a new yarn out. And Knitpicks is a pretty good company. I'm sure the yarn will be good.

I bought the ww in Eggplant, Fairy Tale. and Freesia. I can't wait until it comes.

And I agree with Amy. It's always good to have a new yarn out. And Knitpicks is a pretty good company. I'm sure the yarn will be good.

Making something in purples, I see! Do let us know how you like it. I'm interested.

I just spent the VISA gift card my hubby gave me on buying Brava (lots of colors) and a new needle for weaving in. It left me a whole 34 cents on the $100 card :lol I figure its most likely better than RHSS and I'm hoping to use it to make scarf and hat sets for the family shelter here in my town in 2012.

I'm looking forward to the reviews once you ladies receive your yarns. Right now I primarily use ILTY because it is sooooo soft, reasonably priced, and comes in a nice variety of colors, but I do long to try different things. Sometimes you just can't quite get the color you want from the standby yarns...

I'm looking forward to the reviews once you ladies receive your yarns. Right now I primarily use ILTY because it is sooooo soft, reasonably priced, and comes in a nice variety of colors, but I do long to try different things. Sometimes you just can't quite get the color you want from the standby yarns...

I do find that ILTY is a good yarn to use for a lot of charity projects. It's soft and affordable.

I know where Sharon is coming from about the price comparison as I do the same thing. But I also agree with Amy about the quality and the color selection. The reason I don't buy the one pounders or even the large Red Heart skeins (not the Super Saver 7oz but the really big ones) is because there is no color selection so it's not worth buying. I may have to check out the new Brava yarn.

The yarn came yesterday. Finishing up a knitted hat, and then I'm going to make some items out of it. It's beautiful in color and very soft. Can't wait to use it.

Archived