Does anyone else's SO not support you?

That is so sad and so untrue. Have you tried explaining to him that you are clearly doing somthing which not only you enjoy, but also produces a useful item inexpensivly? I am going to take a stab in the dark and guess he might (and I am stabbing in the dark, so please if this is untrue, correct me) be jealous of the time you spend doing it? My bf loves that I found a hobby I enjoy so much but he doesn't love it when I do it around him, I am guessing he feels like I am not paying full attention do him. So I simply avoid it when he is around, which is easy for me as we do not live together. I wouldn't want him playing video games or working in his "mancave" when I am around, so I completely understand. But he likes seeing the progress and different projects I do and tolerates when I yak about it.

All I can suggest is that you avoid doing it when you are having "together" time. Good luck, and remember, you're doing something you enjoy and as long as you are not "neglecting" him or other duties (shared housework, whatnot) you are completely entitled to enjoy your craft.

Sorry to hear that. I'm fortunate, the only thing my BF fusses about is that I always give stuff away. He's contantly asking when I'm going to make something for myself. I often crochet in the evening while we're just vegging & watching TV and he doesn't mind. He's even gone out looking for supplies for me so I definitely consider myself lucky that he supports my hobby.

I'm lucky - my DH grew up with a crafting mom and sisters. He thinks it's wonderful and asks me to make stuff for the guys at work (mostly baby ghans).

I'm sorry that your SO feels that way. Don't let it stop you from doing what you enjoy.

That has to be tough. My DH is my biggest supporter. My Christmas and birthday presents are mostly crochet oriented since I started. His only complaint is having to deal with all the different digital places I buy from to complete my wish lists.:lol:lol

What is it about crocheting that annoys him? My husband only starts to get annoyed when the yarn bins attack.

I am curious, why does every bit of time have to be "productive." I find crochet to be one of my more productive hobbies because I can make so many gifts and donations. However, I have plenty of hobbies that are just fun and not productive. I don't feel the need to justify them based on their productivity as long as I am not breaking the family budget doing them. I certainly would not tolerate being told I am wasting my time with them as long as other things are not being neglected.

I'm fortunate, in that my partner is supportive. In fact, we have a system. When we want to give something jointly, she'll buy the yarn and I'll make the item!

I do, however, have friends who think my yarnwork is a waste of time. These are the same people who think nothing of spending hours on end in front of sports on TV...

I'm fortunate, in that my partner is supportive. In fact, we have a system. When we want to give something jointly, she'll buy the yarn and I'll make the item!

I do, however, have friends who think my yarnwork is a waste of time. These are the same people who think nothing of spending hours on end in front of sports on TV...

See that's what I don't get is the complaint about wasting time. What do they expect you to be doing with that time instead? I find it hard to sit and JUST watch TV and if possible if I have to be sitting somewhere I prefer to have something to keep me busy. I can't always have a project, but when I can I am more relaxed, calm, and let things slide over me when it can be stressful.

I am so blessed. My hubby understands and accepts my love of crocheting completely. Of course I had been crocheting for years before I met him. It may be because his mother did sewing for other people when he was a child. I had never thought about that until I read what Rose Red posted about her hubby growing up with a crafting mother and sisters. I guess that is why my hubby understands.

Had an old boy friend that was that way I did not crochet for years got rid of the boyfriend and been crocheting up a storm since have a new boyfriend that loves what I do. I find you can crochet and still watch tv you have somethinng to show when the program is finish. Don't give up what relaxes you and enjoy to do.

I am fortunate, my DH loves that I have something I love to do just for myself.....he also doesnt mind the little extra money I've made selling my items, LOL :) When I post my stuff on my FB page, he is the first one to hit the "Like" button! :D

I'm sure he could name any list of things he thinks I could/should be doing rather than "wasting my time with that *bleep*". Of course, any hobby I've taken up in the past, he's felt the same way about. He doesn't have any hobbies besides watching TV and playing on the computer.

I'm sure he could name any list of things he thinks I could/should be doing rather than "wasting my time with that *bleep*". Of course, any hobby I've taken up in the past, he's felt the same way about. He doesn't have any hobbies besides watching TV and playing on the computer.

I suspect you could also make a list of the things he could do when watching tv and playing on the computer. So what is his point?

My boyfriend is pretty okay with it. He says all the time that he'd buy me hooks or yarn or whatever when I'm complaining about not having something I need/want, but I've never asked him to. I think he probably gets tired of hearing me talk about it sometimes, but he's never said anything about it. :P

As long as it's something that I enjoy, he doesn't seem to mind, since it doesn't really take away from the time we spend together.

Anyway, I don't see why it's important what you decide to do in your spare time.

It's not hurting anyone, and if you enjoy it and it doesn't interfere with other things you need to do, then I don't see a problem. It's certainly more productive than just sitting around watching TV or playing computer games, anyway.

(Not that I'm knocking any of that, since I enjoy doing both, but just that crocheting at least produces a finished product when everything is said and done. )

/my super long 2 cents

How can your hobby of crocheting be a waste of time, yet his hobby of watching tv is not a waste of time???? At least you have something to show for the time spent, and you are learning/practicing a skill, which is good for your brain.

Hi,

I think this may be just because I am English, or having a dumb moment, but can someone tell me what a DH is please?

I am most confused and baffled.

thanks,

Elli

Dh is dear husband, or sometimes darn husband:lol

Elli1987, when I first joined Crochetville in December 2008 I thought it might mean "dumb husband." But then some talked about their "dd" or "ds". That is when I figured it must mean "darling" or "dear. So don't feel bad.

Ask him why he says hurtful things to you. It sounds like the hobby bashing is an excuse he uses for something else that is bothering him. You need to get to the root of the problem. That quote is just hurtful and mean and pointless. Be direct and calm. That is an incredibly hurtful thing to say and about as adult as a toddler throwing a tantrum. Maybe seek some professional help, a third party sometimes brings things to light. Best of luck.

Archived