My scarf is curving like a collar ! Please Help!

suzyq2

Question

I am teaching myself to crochet (with the help of an aunt) and haven't completed anything yet! I am trying to make a simple scarf using the

shell stitch and "V" stitches, and have completed three rows. It is curving

like a collar. It doesn't hang straight.

Any suggestions? My shell stitch row consists of 4 DC in a single stitch, skipping

2 stitches between every shell. The "V" stitch row is 1 dc, chain 1, dc all the

way to the end.

I got this pattern off the web, and it looked pretty easy and fast.

WAS IS IT CURVING? !!! Thanks for responding.

6 answers to this question

Maybe your tension is too tight? Try loosening up a bit and see if that helps. I know the others will have more insight on this than I do. I have never made any scarves before that actually used a pattern so I've never had this problem. lol :P

Is your scarf shorter on one side than the other?

If yes, are you doing the appropriate number of Chain at the beginning of each row.

If you are doing DCs, you need 3CH to stand as your first DC. If you are doing V stitches of 1DC, 1CH, 1DC all into the same place, you need 4CH to stand as 1DC and 1CH at the start of the row.

Are you using a pattern?

I can write you one if you need it, with all explanations added so you know exactly what you need to do, and when you need to do it.

Let me know.:hook

Have fun.

Colleen.

Hi Aggie May,

Thanks for responding all the way from New Zealand ! No, my scarf is not

shorter on one side than the other. Yes, I'm chaining 3 at the start of each

row to stand as my first DC.

I started over last night and will just DC and SC this scarf. I'll figure out

the shells later !

Have a great day (or night).

suzy

As I sit at my computer, it is 10.30pm Monday, so I guess you are just reaching Monday morning.

I am glad you solved the problem with your crocheting because it is so easy to be put off by things like that and we dont want you giving up.

The reason I mentioned the CH at the beginning of the row is that it is the most common problem along with learning which stitch to work into and which one to miss.

I have done it for so long that I dont even think about what I am doing and you will get there too.

We use slightly different terms for crochet stitches so I have to be careful not to put people wrong.

I guess it is like learning a new language, it gets easier the more you do.

Have fun.

Colleen

New Zealand, home to 4 million people and 40 million sheep.:sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump

suzyq2, I think I saw that pattern earlier in my ramblings around the web tonight and when I looked at it, I didn't think it was exactly "easy" for a beginner. I've found that with a lot of patterns...

Archived