Oval rag rug help!!!

queenjennyk

Question

I have read all the previous posts regarding this topic but still need help...i have torn my stitches out too many times and now my fabric is fraying but I am giving it one more go!!

I spent 100.00 on fabric so this HAS to work!!!

I am using this pattern...

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa100299.htm

I get the concept but my shape is horrible after about 10 rounds. I get that you have to add 3 increases on each end. How many sc's does each side have? does that increase too or always stay at 21 (or 20)

In the 7 rows she has listed it seems to change but it goes up and down so I am not grasping the concept!!! i am not good at experimenting - prefer and EXACT pattern so this is hard for me.

also, i am making this into a HUGE area rug for a bedroom so I don't want the shape to be horrible.

14 answers to this question

I mainly need help with making the oval...my rags are ready and rolled and I am about 7 rows

I need help with figuring out exactly how the counts go as you get larger. I get that you increase 3 stitches on each end and add one inbetween each time but how many stitches are on the sides? I can't figure out when to make the first increase each time

There's not too much out there for oval rugs. Here's the link to the Ravelry search page for 'oval rug'. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&query=oval%20rug&page=1&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

Most of the ones that I've seen only go up to Round 6 or 7 and then tell you to continue.

I wish I could be more helpful but I've never made one so I don't have the st counts for you.

Hi Queenjenny, maybe I can help you a bit as I've made several of these, both with scrap material and with yarn. Here's a post with some photos and you'll see my remarks on #4,#6 and #8.... http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125675&highlight=rugs

I don't count my stitches past the first couple of rows, I've found it better to just let the rug itself tell you when it needs to increase... I aim for 3 increases on each end, sometimes I end up doing 4 or 5 increases or if it starts to curl, I may do just 2 ... and sometimes I don't increase at all if its starting to get too wavy. Just a bit of difference in the heft of your material can make a big difference on each row, you'll soon get a feel of what feels right. (I'd quit counting for a row or two, and just go by the "feel"... that was hard for me to do too, but my earlier rugs don't lay anywhere near as flat as the ones I've made recently, so I can vouch for this... stop counting!!!... trust me!

If you envision the end of your rug as a clock face, I increase at around 2 o'clock, noonish and 10 o'clock as I'm working my way around the row. Try not to do the increase in the exact same spot as the previous row, it'll make a point and look funny. Move the increases a couple of stitches either side of the previous row.

You'll get a "feel" for when another stitch needs to be added. Because it's an oval, the sides will be increasing in stitches so don't worry so much about counting, what's important is that the increases are worked so the finished row is staying flat, not waving or cupping. Because of my physical disability, I'm unable to sit for more than a few minutes, I'm working these while in bed. Every few rows, as I get to the 10 o'clock point, I have a big tray that I slide under the ends to check and make sure it's still flat. This "flatness" determines if I stay with the 3 increases or add just 2 or maybe 4 or 5. If you catch it right away, you can keep it flat, if you see that it's wavy or cupping add more or less increases.

The answer to your question about the 21 stitches on the sides, looking at the scatter rug next to my bed, on my base row I started with 20 stitches on the side in the first row... the outside long edge of this oval rug now has 33 stitches between the last set of increases. Using my clockface, there are 16 increases in between the 2 and noon and 14 between noon and 10, remember I don't ever count as I'm working around, I just add the increases as needed.

PS... just to be clear, I'm increasing 3 or 4 (or sometimes none) on *each* end, not on each round, so the number of increases is usually around 6 stitches per round, but may be more or less to keep the rug flat, without cupping or waving.

Hope this helps, if you (or anyone else) need more help, you can email me ... mattenylou @ yahoodotcom ... put "rug help" or something in the title so I know to not delete you... lol.

Like mattenylou I don't count the stitches after a few rows either, it's just too much trouble to be exact although I suppose you could work out the counts by drawing out the pattern. I've done many oval rag rugs and, again like mattenylou, increase three times at each end at 2:00, 12:00 and 10:00.

Let us know how using the "clock" works for you.

Another thing, when you are using strips of fabric to make a rug, you may find you need to add an extra stitch here and there, even along the sides. The weight of the fabric and just a tiny variation in the width you cut the strip can make a big difference from what you were used to working with in the previous strip.

I love the whole process of making rugs. I've been using some of these yarn rugs for over ten years, they still look great. I use between 4 and 6 strands of yarn and a big hook, and can make one in a day or two.

Let us know your progress,,, can't wait to see your pics.

1. When you add increases vary your increases another words do not add increase on same spot as prior row increase go one or two stitches over. 2. No set number for number of increases but average should be mainly 3 at times 4

3. Do not add increases on the side of rug except

try to add a increase at the beginning of the curve or just at or just right before it starts to curve

4. After you add each increase crochet 5 more stitches then lay your rug down on flat surface. Examine your rug to see if you added the increase at the most optimal spot. If you see a big lump the occurred or inward pulling or curving upwards either - unravel your stitches and readjust your stitch and or add an additional one. Do this with every increase - lay rug on flat area and examine it for necessary adjustments. I have crocheted many a wavy rug until through trial and error I finally got it. I hope this helps

Archived