Boxing Day 2012!

dorothysgirls

Thanks Dorothy. Hospice has been called in for him. And I know his wife's heart is very heavy right now. So I am plugging away on it and praying that it is finished in time for both of them to enjoy it.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would consider it a "hospice" blanket. Every one needs a final hug.

When my sister married her husband, she knew he had cancer, but thought they would have years together. I sent them an afghan for a wedding present. He got worse, and spent all his time under the afghan, when he was at home. When he died way too soon, her friend would cover her with that afghan. She said it felt like I was hugging her from 3 states away. Making that afghan for your friend would be a beautiful, meaningful gift.

I'd like to join~~~

Crochet small lapghans and then purchase stuffed animals and snuggle them up for Parent/Child Center.

My goal is to get started crocheting Prayer Shawls this year!

So glad this CAL started :)

These are going to the cancer center today. I made a few others but after wearing the one I decided to keep for myself realized they have 20% wool and not sure that will work for cancer patients..? Is there any way to soften them so they would be usable? Would just washing them do it?

post-35596-135897727524_thumb.jpg

These are going to the cancer center today. I made a few others but after wearing the one I decided to keep for myself realized they have 20% wool and not sure that will work for cancer patients..? Is there any way to soften them so they would be usable? Would just washing them do it?

I made slippers out of yarn that had some wool in it, and they got nice and soft with washing. However, I think that it would probably depend upon the yarn.

I'd like to join~~~

Crochet small lapghans and then purchase stuffed animals and snuggle them up for Parent/Child Center.

My goal is to get started crocheting Prayer Shawls this year!

So glad this CAL started :)

:welcome I will go add you now!

Mary,

Accoring to the oncologist office I take hats to wool is irritating to most paitents recieving treatment. I try to also take into considreation how often it will be washed. You may want to call the office that you take them to and ask.

it's only 20% wool so they would wash fine. I think they will just go to the mission instead. I brought 8 hats to the cancer center, made another by request :D while I was there. There were only 4 left on the shelf when I left :cheer

Also donated these to the mission today

post-35596-135897727582_thumb.jpg

post-35596-135897727586_thumb.jpg

it's only 20% wool so they would wash fine. I think they will just go to the mission instead. I brought 8 hats to the cancer center, made another by request :D while I was there. There were only 4 left on the shelf when I left :cheer

Isn't it a great feeling to have your work so appreciated? I love when I pick my girls up from school and I see the kids comming out of the school with hats that I made on.

I did make 3 UBW hats for the school they are in the washer so I cant take a pick of them.

Those are very nice hats. It's great to know that people like them so much.

Wonderful hats! I am glad you have an alternative place to donate the ones with wool. I am sure they will be appreciated there, too!

A trick I learned -- when you wash something that needs softened, add hair conditioner to the water. It helps. I make things out of RHSS that can be kind of scratchy, and this trick improves them considerably.

Nice hats Mary. Love the colors. I think I need to dig deep into my stash and look for some COLOR because that is what I have been noticing most about everyone else's hats!

And Beth, don't you wonder who the first person was who thought of putting conditioner in the washer? Inspiration or desperation?

Denise, I do wonder how people try something for the first time. I some times wish I could wash an entire skein of yarn with the conditioner before I use it. Doesn't bode well for the finished project.

I spent all day yesterday working on the afghan I'm making for my son, so I'm ready for a change. I think I'll work on UBW hats today. Let's see if I can finish one with all the housework I need to do...

Happy to report that I finished another UBW hat today, though I think it's rather pretty, two blues tweeded together.... Any way, when I reach 10, i will post pictures, which I hope will motivate me to reach 10 hats soon.

*pokes my head in*

Wow, it's been a little bit since I posted on here. I got buried in projects lol. The weather finally turned winter-ish around here and a shelter I donate to said they were running out of scarves and mittens/gloves. So my mom, a family friend, and I broke out the rotary cutter and sewing machines. Since there were three of us, I didn't have to do any sewing hehe! One of their other volunteers donated a full bolt each of fleece and sweat shirt material, plus ribbing, all in grey. So 75 scarfs and mitten sets later, they finally let us out of the basement lol. While we were making those, someone else donated about 50 store bought hats, which most just happened to be grey. So the shelter wound up getting complete sets. They were soo happy.

Then earlier this week I learned how to do the "crocodile" stitch (youtube has several tutorials). Lol, I've become addicted to it. Its remarkably easy, but uses a ton of yarn. I'm going to go through my scraps and make a "rainbow scaled" scarf. So far I've done a basic hat, a headband + neck warmer set for me, 2 baby hats that look like upside down flowers, another neck warmer, and a full sized shawl. Regular ww yarn like RHSS or Caron SS makes a thick, heavy and super warm item. Baby/ sport weight yarns make it much lighter, but still super warm. I wound up doing the shawl in Joanns Sensations bucle; it is soo soft and warm.

My camera died, but I'll borrow my mom's this weekend to take a few pictures. Now back to hiding in a pile of yarn to keep warm.:devil

Whew! I had to attend a swim meet today, and couldn't take the afghan that's my primary project, so I made hats. I made 3 UBW hats today. This brings me up to 9. One more, and I'll post pictures.

Very cool! I always carry around cotton thread & a hook to make a dishcloth when I get bored somewhere.

Cindy, beautiful baby items. I have been wanting to try a baby sweater. My list is so long. I am going to have to live a really long time.

Anyway, since it was the charity blitz weekend, I got out a bolt of fleece I got when a WalMart nearby was closing their fabric section and made 19 blankets and 3 braided toys from the salvage. I also got two mats done.

post-13802-13589772964_thumb.jpg

Everyones stuff looks GREAT!!!! I have to clean up my craft room a little today. I have had so much studying to do with mid-terms ths week that my favorite room has suffered greatly.... Then I hope to have a little bit of time to crochet. On a positive note I have 3 midtemrs this week and the lowest grade I got was a 93.9% so I am thrilled!!!!

Congratulations on your good grades Dorothy. Denise you sure have been busy. Cindy the baby items are lovely. Beth and Rene aren't the ubw caps addictive? Everyone is getting so much done and I just seem to be plugging away on my lapghan. I know I do things slow but I didn't think I was this slow.:shrug Keep up the good work everyone. :tup

Cindy and Denise -- beautiful projects. I'm so glad you share pictures.

Dorothy, your grades are amazing! And you do that with 3 children and a job???

Kathy, keep on plugging away, and you'll get it done!

Archived