Yarn type

sewon

Hi

I would like to make a ruffle-spiral style sacrf and i would like to know if I can use any type of yarn or does one work better than another and can I use two together-also could anyone recommend a simple pattern to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Mary

I have been making these for myself and I like RHSS the best, the I Love This Yarn from hobby lobby was too soft, but I found the RH works up nice and softens as you use it, I used an I hook, if you use a solid color you need only one skein, varigated almost 2. Hope this helps, I found the pattern at carons website.

I've made several of these using a pattern from Lion Brand's web site. They have a number of them for a variety of yarn thicknesses.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?

I've made several using Lion's Wool Ease Thick & Quick and can get one done in a couple of hours. They are easy, fun, and make great gifts. Have fun!

I agree with the recommendation given to use RHSS yarn. There are several incidences where this economy yarn is actually better than some of the softer, more expensive choices. For the spiral to look nice a little stiffness is a good thing. The softer yarns will hang limper and not look as pretty in the spiral. Even though RHSS will soften to the touch as you wash it (and use softener) it will generally be more sturdy and hold up better. I also use RHSS for children's toys and anything that needs to withstand hard use. RHSS is durable as can be! I have 20 year old afghans that are still holding up. If not for puppies chewing them occasionally, I would have a lot more!

I also used one of the Lion Brand patterns for my ruffled scarves, but looking quickly just now, I'm not sure which one. I made several around the same time and have never gone back to make more. I guess once I made one for everyone in the family, it was time to move on to something else. :) I'd just look through them and see which one you like best. I find the Lion Brand patterns to be simple and easy to follow. I normally will use no larger than a I or J hook for something like this. I think most of them are calling for a K or L hook but I just go down to the J and sometimes even the I, which for me is much more comfortable to crochet with. I might put a few more rows on the end to make up for the loss of length and that is really all you need to correct for with a scarf.

Archived