Octagon with long sides

Sofia

Question

I want to make a blanket in the shape of the Ohio state O which is essentially an octagon with two corresponding sides much longer than the others like this:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=fp0eeifoao1nkuk7v0zeuuerf

I cannot figure out how to make the longer sides.

I have looked for Octagons - all equal sided; I have looked for dishclothes granny style. No luck

I could just do a rectangle but I really would like the beveled shaping.

Any ideas?

Thank you

2 answers to this question

If you work it "side to side" you could just start at the bottom of the "O" with a base chain and then add evenly on the sides(like doing a triangular shawl) then when you reach the width you want just work in even rows till you get to the other end and start decreasing evenly (think shawl) till you end up with your same base size as the other end. Hope this makes sense.

Sofia, the shape you are looking for is similar to the one I use for my crocheted scattered rugs. Take a look at the pics on post #4... http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125675&highlight=rugs

If you increase at the exact same place on every row, you'll end up with the points/corners you are looking for. I move my increases around, a few stitches either way to keep the ends rounded on the rugs.

Farther down that same page on post #6, I explain how to do it, I don't follow a pattern. I only increase 3 stitches on each end, but you'll need to do 4 to get the shape you are looking for. You may find you'll have to not increase some rows in order to keep it from rippling. As long as you have a good "point" on the rows of the color changes, I think it will come out fine.

Maybe try making a potholder with some scrap yarn first to see it it will work. I'm pretty sure it will, because I'm fighting those points all the time I'm making these, trying to keep the ends round.

Archived