How much yarn?

prettywoman030981

Question

I'm planning on make a full size afghan and I have NO CLUE how much yarn to get. I'm not really going to be using a pattern, just doing a ripple, so I don't have a pattern to use for how much yarn to get. My gauge is usually pretty close to what the yarn calls for. I plan on using Red Heart Super Saver yarn and an I hook.

Can someone give me an idea on how much yarn. I'm thinking around 16 skeins of super saver might do it.

15 answers to this question

Well, crap, so 16 skeins of supersaver would be too much? They are 7 oz each, 16 skeins is 112 oz, which is 7 pounds, right? I'm so terrible at figuring how much yarn I'll need. I'm always terrified I won't have enough so I buy WAY too much. I don't want to do that this time, since we are on a tight budget right now and I will need quite a bit of yarn to do a big afghan!

It's not too much if you want to make a bedspread sized ghan.

16 ounces in a pound x 4 pounds = 64 ounces

64 ounces divided by 7 ounce skein = 9.14 skeins

Most ripples are done in sc. Sc uses slightly more yarn than dc so you should be good going with the 4 pounds of yarn.

I usually buy Caron Pounders so I know how many pounds I have right off the bat.

The ripple I plan to use will be in dc. I'm going to do it in 4 colors, with the pattern of stripes being 4 rows of color A, 3 rows of color B, 2 rows of color C and 1 row of color D.

uggg, I hate trying to figure this stuff out! I know I'll need more of color A and B than I will of C and D.

So, if I get 1 skeins of D, 2 skeins of C, 3 skeins of B, and 4 skeins of A, That will equal 10 skeins total, which will end up 70 oz of yarn.

Does that seem right?

Thanks so much for your help!

I learned the hard way, by running out, that only the solid colors are 7 oz. If you are planning to use a varigated yarn, remember they are only 5 oz.

This page gives the amount for their different types.

http://interiordec.about.com/od/beds/a/bedsizes.htm

Full sheet = 81 x 96 inches (6.75' x 8')

Full comfortor = 86 x 86 inches (7.2' square)

What I would recommend is finding a ripple pattern in DC that resembles what you want to do, and doing the math on the size difference.

Following Rose Red's yarn requirement example [which might not work if you are using a different stitch]-- for the full sheet size, that's 7,776 square inches, a 4x6' blanket is 3456 square inches, if 3 pound estimate is right for a 4'x6' blanket then you would need 6.75 pounds of yarn for a full size blanket.

To figure out the proportion per color, more math...4+3+2+1 is 10, which makes it easy, the colors would be 40%, 30%, 20%, and 10% of the total 6.75 pounds.

Edited by Granny Square

I think I have it figured out. I WANT to do a bedspread size afghan, but money-wise, that's not going to happen right now. I think I'm going to do a 4x6'. I've looked at other patterns, most of which are for baby ripple blankets, and they are using 6 skeins for a 36x36" blanket, so I believe that 10 skeins will do a 4x6'. And I REALLY hope that the amount of each color works out! But, since I will most likely be doing red heart super saver, I won't worry too much since they don't have dye lots!

👌 trying to figure out how many skeins i need to make a 84"x95" Afghan cause i'm trying to make it for a friend as her wedding gift have a year roughly to have it done but want to get it started & want the correct # of yarn to buy when I go to get it...

Hi everyone one. Has anyone used Lion Brand Mandala yarn? I’m a beginner and am looking to make something. I have one skein. I was thinking maybe a scarf or shawl or wrap. Any ideas on that and any good recommendations for a free crochet pattern? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

https://www.lionbrand.com/search?q=mandala yarn  link to the manufacturer's site for the yarn, there are lots of different 'Mandala' yarns, apparently in different weights.  What you need to do is find a pattern in YOUR yarn's weight.  One skein may be enough for a cowl type scarf or hat, possibly not a wrap--so give us more details so we have more to go on to pick a pattern.

The bulkier the yarn, the less yardage you will have per skein--I think beginners are drawn to thick yarn because they think it will be fewer stitches to finish a 'thing', but  don't realize it's usually more expensive to create that thing because all skeins are not created equal--it's all about yardage, and bulky yarn skeins have a fraction of the yardage as lesser weight yarns.

Example, mandala ombre = medium weight, 344 yards per skein.  Same price (on LB website) as mandala thick & quick, super bulky, 79 yards.

On the LB site, you can look at patterns, and then choose a specific LB yarn, then 'crochet', and the sort of thing you want to make--or better yet, pick the yarn weight, more choices will come up.  Example, if you have ombre which is medium weight, you can select medium weight patterns - but if they use a medium weight in a different yardage skein, you'll have to do some math - how many total yards in # of skeins of the 'other' yarn does the pattern call for, divided by the # of yards in 1 skein of YOUR yarn of the same weight, will tell you how many skeins you will need to buy.