Sign in to follow this  
nemomum

How to keep sc (UK)/sl st(US) rounds from being tighter than rounds of treble crochet (UK)

Question

Hello all,

I have just been working on a hat which has rounds of treble crochet (UK) followed by rounds of single crochet (UK). My problem is even though the pattern instructed me to keep the single crochet loose and I really tried it was still tighter, making a tight band at the bottom of the hat. Are there any tricks to keeping it looser? I was wondering if I could just change hook to a bigger one and then go back but perhaps there is a better way to hold the hook? I know treble crochet is looser but I find my single crochet always ends up tighter, even in comparison to double crochet (UK).

The hat isn't meant to be tighter at the bottom btw, it's just part of the pattern.

2 answers to this question

It's a matter of practicing your tension. The loop for the slst and sc should be the diameter of the hook. Even with tons of practice it's still really hard for me to keep it the same and I have to consciously work at it.

The easiest way to do it is to go up a hook size or 2. I know it's cheating but crochet is supposed to be fun and relaxing so if cheating makes it that way - why not?

I would work with a swatch. It doesn't need to be huge - 3-5 inches across. Make a few rows of tr and then switch your hook and work on your scs and slsts to see which hook makes the tension the same.

What I would do would be to make 4 rows of tr. Then work the sc in 1 hook size larger. If that's not right then frog the sc and go up another hook size. this way you'll be able to see if it's the same tension instead of having to guess after a couple rows of tighter sc.

:thinkNemomum.

I think you are a little confused with the terminology.

If your pattern has a TR for a UK Treble, it should not have a SC which is a US name for a UK DC (double Crochet.

A SL ST (slip stitch) is the same in both US & UK and is mostly used to join a row or to move the yarn to where it needs to be for the next part of the pattern, without breaking it and starting again.

If you are using a TR your smaller stitch should be a DC so it could be that you are doing SL ST instead which could make it tight.

A DC is made by putting the hook into the required place, pull through a loop, now pull the yarn through both loops on the hook.

This is called a SC in the US.

A TR is made by YO (Yarn Over) put the hook into the required place and pull through a loop, (YO pull throu 2 loops) twice.

This is called a DC in the US.

:thinkI can tell you, I get confused writing this down and I have been crocheting for more than 60 years.

Maybe you can give us more info on your pattern so we can better decipher what the pattern writer really means.

The pattern writer may be confusing the two lots of terms in one pattern.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug