Do you weave in ends as you go or after?

When do you weave in your ends?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. When do you weave in your ends?

• I do it as I go along.
    • I wait until the end.
    • I do both, whatever strikes my fancy.

the one thing i hate is weaving in ends well that and sewing squares together. I will work over ends as much as i can to avoid having to weave them in consequently i will have only the finishing tail to weave in at the end. I rarely make afghans or anything big, mostly stuffies and thread things so fairly easy to cover the ends as i go along. Oh yeah and the russian join method eliminates most ends for me in large projects when i have to add more yarn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost always do it at the end. I've found if I try and do it as I go, I end up disliking the project for one reason or another (though it never has anything to do with the ends part) and trying to frog it. Like a blanket that I have been working on forever that I weaved in as I went and now I'm really not feeling it at all. I think I just have project ADD or am just cursed to hate a project if I weave as I go! Everything I've ever finished I've weaved at the very end

About 75% of the time do the tails as I go. The other 25% of the time I wait because I need to wait till the other rows above are correct as to no frogging back. Often time when changing colors I wait after I have done a few rows above.

• 2 months later...

It really depends on the project. My daughter likes putting her fingers in the "holes" of her blankets, so weaving in the ends was not working for very long because she would eventually find them and undo the work. I've had to start tying them when I make baby blankets and other things for my daughter.

When I'm making anything else, I weave the ends in as I crochet and then weave them some more when I'm finished.

• 3 weeks later...

Depens on how lazy i feel, depends on if I can find my yarn needle lol.. sometimes I weave as I go.. sometimes I work over the tail as far as I can go.

and it depens on size of project. lol.. so "whatever strikes my fancy ;)" lol

It bepends on what I'm working on if it's something small or something I worked on before I weave in the end as I go along, but if it's something big or new I weave in once I'm finish just in case I have to take some thing out to do over.

• 4 weeks later...

I try to weave them in as I go, especially if I'm doing something with a lot of color changes. I'll usually wait until I have several to do and do them all at once, then keep working until I have several more, etc...

I always end up regretting waiting to the end. In fact, it can be the cause of not completing a project. I have two afghans now that have been sitting for months just waiting to have the ends woven in because I was lazy and didn't do it as I went. :sigh

On the other hand... If I'm doing something in a solid color, or something small, where I will only have a few ends to weave in at the end, I'll go ahead and wait.

I normally don't weave in the ends as much anymore as I did when I first started because the ends always end up coming out -- I prefer to tie knots and cut off the "tails". I hate washing an item and then the ends suddenly coming out and being visible because it looks sloppy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Depends on what I am crocheting and where I'm at when ends are ready to be weaved in.

I enjoy weaving in ends and find it relaxing!

I usually weave a few when I am crocheting and leave some for the finished piece.

It depends. If i am working on a small project like a scarf i wait until the end to weave them in. I am working on two big afghans, so I weave the ends after I have worked about 10 rows or have 10 strings. It would take too long to do it in the end and seems time consuming when I have so much on my plate to make anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Like many of you. If there are only a few, a dozen or so, I'll leave them to the end, unless they really begin to annoy me while I'm working. But I do lapghans that often have a lot of color changes. With those, when I'm secure with the pattern, I'll stop and weave them in whenever I have ten or twelve. Usually. Sometimes I'm lazy and leave them all to the end, then I just wait until I have something engrossing to listen to, and do it then.

Archived