December Charity Cal ~ 12/15/11 - 12/20/11

busy-bee-lmt

The December Charity CAL starts in just one short week. This is open to all crocheters, knitters, weavers, sewers and other creative folks. We gather together once a month to make items for charity. I know that this is a busy time of year, but those who can join us for even part of one day are all welcome and every single item is appreciated.

There will be lots of virtual, calorie-free goodies :cchip :fruitcake :cchip and drinks :mug:kettle:mug to share. A cheery fireplace and comfy chairs to hang out in as we chat and make our magic :2magic.

Some of the many items that have been done in previous months include HAP rectangles, friendship squares, cat mats, cat toys, preemie hats and blankets, prayer shawls, special Olympics scarves, hats and scarves for the homeless, and just about anything else you can think of for people and pets in need.

Please post you contributions in large, colorful letters and I will make a list of our totals a couple of days after the end of the time period. Occasionally someone sneaks in an extra day or two of working on things and that's just fine. It all goes for a good cause. And it's truly amazing how much a few can do in a short period of time.

May God bless you all this holiday season! :hug

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, it's that time again :cheer It seems like Nov's was just here!!

I don't know what I'll be working on yet. I should be finished with the hats I am making for the homeless by then.

Looking forward to the December Charity cal

:hug René

My charity project was delivered yesterday by DH and the woman was blown away. I guess they are used to getting toys, but not a box full of clothes to go with a doll. Mom and I are already on their list for next year. The saftey cones and barrel were also dully admired, but the doll and clothes were the big hit.

After Christmas I will have to start putting stuff away for the toy drive that happens here in the summer. I was caught off guard last year.:lol:lol

Hi..I've joined in before with special olympics scarf project. I'd like to join in again but not quite sure with what. I'm thinking maybe some hats to send to the shelter in StL. But would like to start doing little hats/blankies for hospitals for babies/premies/families with loss :angel or even children going into foster care. These each touch close to our family. Any suggestions on how to start - patterns, who to contact, etc appreciated.

Hi..I've joined in before with special olympics scarf project. I'd like to join in again but not quite sure with what. I'm thinking maybe some hats to send to the shelter in StL. But would like to start doing little hats/blankies for hospitals for babies/premies/families with loss :angel or even children going into foster care. These each touch close to our family. Any suggestions on how to start - patterns, who to contact, etc appreciated.

You might want to contact the social worker at your local hospital. They may be able to direct you towards the right locations for the hospital stuff.

If you are interested in making stuff for the shelters, I would call them or find out if there is an email contact and find out what they need and how to get it to them.

Churches are another good place to check with. My church makes preemie hats and blankets for the local NICU, baby blankets for the OB department for families in need, colostomy bag covers, and helmet liners for soldiers overseas. Another church here in town has a Prayer Shawl ministry which gave out over 200 prayer shawls and prayer squares in its first year of existance. Battered women shelters frequently accept shawls, blankets, hats, and scarves for women and their children who arrive with nothing but the clothes on their backs. There are lots of free patterns out there at Lion Brand, Red Heart, Crochet Pattern Central, and Knit Pattern Central just to name a few.

I would like to join again this month. Just not sure what I will be making or how much I can get done. I expect to have my left arm and hand wrapped again on 16th. Ran into problems getting my sleeve and glove. Hopefully when I get them it will be much easier to crochet. Sheesh anything I do when my arm and hand is wrapped is hard to do so hopefully the sleeve and glove will change that. So count me in.

I will join this month...I've got lots of scraps staring at me from the depths of my closet that need to be put to good use.

Welcome everyone. :manyheart I'm so glad to see all of you joining in. I'll be working on an afghan requested for a gentleman who's just had surgery for cancer and having a hard time of it.

Okay, my friends. It's almost Thursday. Got your yarn, hooks, needles, material, and what-have-you together? Got your project(s) decided on? I'll be serving up virtual mulled applecider and an assortment of Christmas cookies bright and early in the morning. (No calories since they are being eaten while working on charity items.) See you tomorrow. :manyheart

Sorry, jumping the gun and starting a lap robe for cancer patient (spec request) tonight as I'll be gone a good bit of tomorrow. Feel pushed on this one as family just requested hospice. Just need to relax and let it flow...housework not that important. Contacted local food bank also to see if they need additional help through the holidays. DH thinks I'm out of my mind (not the first time either)....Oh well, need to do what I feel is right for me. Lap robe is a rust color, not sure of accent, probably navy blue as I have it on hand. Will be working in tails on a couple baby 'ghans for a change of pace too.

I brought my yarn and hooks to work so I can :crocheting on a special olympics scarf during my lunch break. And then I plan to go home and collapse on the sofa with my crocheting tonight, it's been a busy week and I'm really starting to feel it :tired. Thankfully tomorrow is the last day of school for the Christmas:wreath break and I will home for 2 weeks.:clap

Sorry, jumping the gun and starting a lap robe for cancer patient (spec request) tonight as I'll be gone a good bit of tomorrow. Feel pushed on this one as family just requested hospice. Just need to relax and let it flow...housework not that important. Contacted local food bank also to see if they need additional help through the holidays. DH thinks I'm out of my mind (not the first time either)....Oh well, need to do what I feel is right for me. Lap robe is a rust color, not sure of accent, probably navy blue as I have it on hand. Will be working in tails on a couple baby 'ghans for a change of pace too.

No problem. I'll be working on a large round ripple afghan that is also a special request for a gentleman who has just had surgery for cancer and is having a rough time coping with that and the holidays. It's in RHSS in a variegated called Woodsy, Cornmeal, Warm Brown, and Dark Thyme. I've got half the rows done, but that's only about a quarter of the crocheting

I brought my yarn and hooks to work so I can :crocheting on a special olympics scarf during my lunch break. And then I plan to go home and collapse on the sofa with my crocheting tonight, it's been a busy week and I'm really starting to feel it :tired. Thankfully tomorrow is the last day of school for the Christmas:wreath break and I will home for 2 weeks.:clap

Good for you! And hooray for Christmas break in just 2 more days!

The cider is steaming and the cookies are ready.

Anyone want to share a favorite Christmas cookie recipe since it's that time of year? :D

Guess I will work on my hats (once those are finished I will find another charity project to work on) I thought my hats would be done, but I haven't been in a hat making mood.

I'll come back after and share my two favorite cookie recipes that I make every year. One is my favorite and the other is usually the favorite of people I give them too.

I have to go eat dinner with calories in it :P

René

:clap Cookie Recipes

My Favorite first: I call them Cornstarch Cookies, but their real name is butter cookies!!!

Butter Cookies

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup confectioners sugar

1 cup flour

3/4 cup butter (softened)

combine all ingredients together. Roll into small ball, insert 1 chocolate chip in top of each ball. Bake in 300 degree oven for 20 minutes. Does not make too many cookies, I usually at least double the recipe, this year I made double double!!! They are quite fragile when they first come out of the oven so be careful when removing them from the cookie sheet.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

2 Cups (4 sticks) Butter (softened)

2 Cups Sugar

2 Cups Brown Sugar (packed)

4 Eggs

2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

6 Hershey Bars (melted)

4 Cups Flour

2 Tsp Baking Powder

2 Tsp Baking Soda

1 Tsp Salt

5 Cups Oatmeal

3 Cups Chopped Walnuts

24 oz Chocolate Chips

Mix all ingredients together. Make golf-ball sized balls. Bake

At 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cookies will be soft when they

first come out of the oven but will crisp up.

This recipe makes a huge amount of cookies, so if you don't want too many cookies you could divide the recipe in at least half. I have done that before.

Since I received this recipe, I have never made any other chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Okay anybody else have any recipes to share??

René

post-40103-135897719099_thumb.jpg

post-40103-135897719102_thumb.jpg

Oh, Rene those sound like wonderful cookies.

I make holiday breads for Christmas instead of cookies. Banana Nut bread is one and the other is Cherry-Nut bread. They always gets rave reviews.

Cherry-Nut Bread

2 eggs

1 1/2 C. flour

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 C. ground nuts (walnuts and pecans both work great)

1 C. white sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 - 8 oz. jar maraschino cherries (drained, saving juice)

Cream the eggs and sugar, then add the cherry juice. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and add to creamed mixture. Add cherries and nuts and mix. Pour into a loaf pan and bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 1 large loaf. (I frequently triple the batch when I am baking for all the neighbors and will have 3 large loaves or 4 medium loaves from a triple batch.)

I finished hiding the tails on two prayer shawls yesterday and added 3 rounds to the round ripple.

I've got assorted hot chocolate, tea, and coffee to go with our Christmas cookies today. Hope you enjoy them.

looks yummy!!! I am more of a candy type person. Oreo truffles go over so well and the wonderful thing is they are so easy!!!

1 package of oreo double stuff cookies

1 package of cream cheese

crush entire package of ore's in the tiny pieces and mix with room temperature cream cheese

roll them into balls and put in fridge a few hours or over night

and then dip them in chocolate

I am half way through a scarf. I moved to a larger hook and I can't believe how soft and pliable it is! I never knew. Hopefully I can finish it tonight and start on a few 6" squares.

I heating by water for some decaf earl grey tea this morning for a quick wake up!

Susan those sound yummy! What size package of cream cheese do you use? I may just have to make some of them this year. They do sound quick and easy.

All the recipes sound yummy. I need to dig mine out and get ready to bake next week. I'm about 3/4 of the way done on the scarf I'm working on. Thought I would get more done last night but instead I had fun babysitting friends' 6 month old baby girl.

:cheer I've made lots of different types of breads, but never thought of those for Christmas. I've made zuchinni bread, banana bread, pumpkin and sweet potato bread, the last one I make tons of loafs in the fall and give quite a few to 1 person who when fall arrives starts asking when I am going to bake :lol I will share the recipe if anybody is interested.

I am intrigued by the cherry bread I am going to make one this weekend :yay

Also the oreo truffles, I have to bring food to my church group wednesday, will have to try the oreo's and figure out a main dish. We will be wrapping up the bags to give out to the homeless. It includes hat, scarf, blankets, gloves, I don't remember the other items as I knew I was making hats :hook

I haven't gotten any charity work done yet, I didn't get much crochet done yesterday and I am working on a plarn bag that someone asked me to make. I showed her the started one today and she was so excited.

I'll take some tea, as I'm not a coffee drinker

Hugs,

René

Susan those sound yummy! What size package of cream cheese do you use? I may just have to make some of them this year. They do sound quick and easy.

:think regular size? We only have one size here at our local store, just under the size of two decks of cards side by side. Make sense?

My wonderful day turned into car nightmare. I just lost 4 hours of my precious day waiting for my car and them to tell me they couldn't find anything wrong. Of course it doesn't act up when they are looking at it. I still hope to finish that scarf tonight!!!

Archived