Trade Shows

bjz

We are in the wood cutting business for the decorative painting venue.

I am also a knitter and crocheter and that's why I'm a member here.

By the way, just got the Woman's Day Easy Crochet magazine and last night I made the felted cell phone case. It's too cute.

The reason I am posting is that with our industry slowing at the moment, I had an idea for a wooden box that can sit on a wooden frame with legs to store needle work. The box would be like a chest with a arched top that was large enough to store your project in while the 2 drawers that would open in the front would hold needles etc.

We do trade shows and were thinking that if they had trade shows for knitting, crocheting etc, that this may be another way to get our product out there. They would be stained or I would put some decorative painting on them and sell them.

My 2 questions are,

Would you pay about $130.00 to $150.00 for a beautiful box like this to sit beside your favorite chair to store you things in, or not? Honest opinons please:)

Next, do any of you know of any trade shows for this venue that we may be able to get a booth there and sell our product? or websites for them??

Thanks for your opinons and your comments. I also saw an ad for this website in the Crochet magazine. Good job on getting the news out there.

Thanks, ~ Brenda

Are you talking about a "mini" footstool type box? My grandmother use to have one that she kept her crochet work in. It was a small wooden box, with legs. The top was covered with batting and fabric. It was a "mini" foot stool that opened for small storage. She bought it for about $40, but that was probably 15 years ago.

Personally, I think your idea is great! But, I couldn't afford to pay that much. We are a military family on a "strict" budget and rarely spurge on ourselves. I just couldn't pay $130 for it. I am sure some people would though.

As far as Trade Shows, scope out Crafting magazines and the CGOA/KGOA sites. I know California has a big one every year..but I don't call the name of it.

Good luck with your business.

Donna

The FiberArts market sponsors trade shows for knitters and yarn-crocheters. In addition to yarns and hooks, their exhibitors also show carry-alls, books, spinning wheels, vintage tools, etc. CGOA is affiliated with them.

That's one of those tough questions :goodorbad

I appreciate the work that goes into hand crafted items and certainly expect to pay accordingly. So I absolutely think something like you described is worth the price (assuming the quality is there) but it's not in my budget to actually buy something like that.

There are people out there that will though. Do a search for wool festivals or sheep festivals to see what is in your area. I know on the east coast, there are a few well known ones (Maryland Sheep and Wool, Rheinbeck etc) where there is a huge attendance and people who are willing (and able!) to spend *lots* of money.

I also think a web page would be very helpful. It wouldn't have to be elaborate, but someplace where you can show picutures of past items and the items you currently have available. Someone might see you at a show, but not be ready to buy a piece that day. With a website, they can look at inventory at a later date.

One more idea, depending on what type of woodworking you enjoy doing, you might want to consider making wood crochet hooks & knitting needles.

There is a good market out there for these, take a look on Ebay for ideas.

Good luck!

Holly

Thanks for all your help. I have a place to start. If you would care to see something like we are thinking about, look on my site at http://www.woodconceptsstudio.com and go to the wood pieces page.

I'd put the picture here, but don't really know how. :(

There is a piece there called Irene's box and aside of it are the fame with legs that we would use. That way the crafters could sit it on something if they choose not to use or buy the legs. In other words, you wouldn't have to purchase the legs. The box would do well on it's own.

The box I was thinking of would be like this only with two drawers in the front. The box would be long enough to hold the longest Knitting needles and have dividers in them for crochet hooks and tools like row counters, etc.

The top of the box would have a much larger hip roof on it so that if you are working on a project it would fit. Not an afgan, but maybe a sweater or something.

This is along the lines of a small piece of furniture.

Thanks for helping me here.

We do well with our website and shows, but you always need to look to expand your horizons. :)

I'd really apreciate your help here. Thanks again, ~ Brenda

Your items are beautiful. I would pay that much if I fell in love with it. I would probably want it finished for me though. I would be afraid of ruining it if I did it myself.:hook

I saw your paper towel holder and thought that maybe you could also make the spool holders for thread. One with a drawer in the bottom would probably sell well. One that could hold two spools would also be a big hit for the threadies.:hook

Thanks for the compliments on our wood surfaces and for the idea for the thread holder. How deep of a drawer would be good? We could make one for as many threads as you think would be good. Great Idea!!! Keep them coming. :)

We are planning on just staining them in different wood tones. Like cherry, walnut, oak etc.

I thought maybe I'd do some folk art type painting on some and something that looked like it's very old like crackle with some faded roses etc.

That would however drive the price up a bit.

I am really getting excited about this now. Especially since some of you said that you would pay for it. You know what they say, if there's one person out there that would like one, there are at least a million more. :)

We can make anything out of wood within reason. Would love to hear some more of your ideas. I am going to make one of these boxes and paint it and put an ad in a magazine as well. Is there a favorite knitting or crocheting magazine that you can't live without?

If you all can help me out with this as you have been, there is a special discount in it for yours if you decide to purchase one. ;)

After we do a show, I will put a page on the site for them. Right now , I am in the learning stage with this. Thanks again ~ Brenda

As far as ads, I love the Interweave Crochet/Knitting magazines and the BHG Crochet magazine. There are also Crochet World, which I subscribe. Maybe you can also put it on some websites? Like Crochet me, or Knit Picks? Just a thought.

Donna

Archived