2012 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. He is scheduled for his first surgery (shoulder) on Wednesday. Looks like a rough week ahead.

Linda

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if the first surgery is Wednesday, that means he's stable for now, right? That's good news.

Yes, he is stable and in a lot of pain. As a mom, I wish I could take his pain for him. I have to keep the "Everything is going to be fine" face on when I'm in his room. But then I go down to the chapel and lose it. This is going to be the hardest time of my life.

:manyheart

As for buying the large quantities of yarn, at this point in my life, I consider it a retirement investment. I hope I'll actually get to retire in a few years, and since funds will really be limited then, and I can't imagine yarn getting any cheaper in years to come, I will be glad to have this clearance yarn hanging around so I can continue crocheting. Also, I don't always buy at this relentless pace. Really, I don't! It's just that some good sales and clearances have all happened at once.

At the moment, I'm at -12 (if I remember. I'm at work and don't have my notebook with me.) I'll probably use up another couple of balls by tomorrow night, but no more. I'm working on multiple projects, all using full skeins of RHSS.

I agree with your philosophy. When my husband "retired" (his position was eliminated but he had enough years with the company to take retirement) in 2008 I already had a big stash. That was in June and sometime in early December 2008 we were shopping at our local Walmart (not a Super Center but a regular Walmart) I found a good "roll back" price on RHSS so I stocked up on some real pretty colors. I think I bought about 36 skeins at that time getting 2 skeins of each color. Since then I have tried to keep my spending on crochet (hooks, yarn, patterns) to the amount my sister gives me for my birthday and Christmas each year. Although I must admit her money presents are quite generous. Last year because it was my 60th birthday she went overboard with my birthday money. Because of that I was able to buy a bunch of Peaches and Cream cotton yarn when they were going out of business. I placed two huge orders. I also bought a large amount of Caron One Pounders from Joann.com when they were on sale and had free shipping. I feel I have enough yarn to last for quite a few years now that we are on a fixed income. That's not to say I won't be buying any yarn at all. Especially when there is a good sale and free shipping This year my birthday money has gone to more practical items - needed clothes. I agree with you completely.

Yes, he is stable and in a lot of pain. As a mom, I wish I could take his pain for him. I have to keep the "Everything is going to be fine" face on when I'm in his room. But then I go down to the chapel and lose it. This is going to be the hardest time of my life.

:hug That's what the chapel is there for, so families have somewhere to go to lose it. This IS going to be very hard. You can do it though.

(I'm trying to remember back to last year when my brother was in Bethesda, and what things people said to me that helped versus what just made it worse, and only say the first ones!)

You can do it! You can be strong for him when you're in his room, and then when you're outside take advantage of the people and places available to help you regain that strength. And don't forget, you can always come here and we'll be the ones to say "Everything is going to be fine," and then you can take that back to him!

:hug:manyheart:hug

I will pray for your family. I know it can be hard to watch someone you love in the hospital. Let people be there for you. Also know God is always there for you. Don't try to take this all on yourself. You are just one person. Going to the chapel to lose it is Great. Do that ofen as you can and need to.

Linda: Prayers continue for his recovery and for strength for you. I would much rather be hurt or sick than see my boys in that position. I think about all the trees they climbed for fun when they were young and the tree stands to hunt as they got older--you just never know when accidents will happen.

Mary: Thanks so much for the links. I've tried several men's hats and they've been ok, but not particularly ones I would reuse.

Linda you are in our prayers here. What surgeons can do with things we bust up is a miracle. I have my right wrist that was compound in 7 places..dr said I'd never do anything normal... but they didn't tell me that and there isn't much I can't do normal..well within the reason of how normal am I in the first place :D

So keep your spirits up when you are with him. God can handle the crumpling when you are in the chapel. HE is in control and loves your son more than you do!!

Rejoice in everything.

Phil 4:4-7 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Praying for you that peace that doesn't make sense in the face of the situation! :hugs

Linda, I just back to a computer today and see that your son was supposed to have had surgery. I hope it all went well. Know that you are both in my thoughts.

My Joann order arrived today (hooray!) though there was nothing very exciting in it. More of the same, not anything new and startling. I now have what I need to do the two baby afghans I've been asked for.

Right now, I'm at -39 for the week, but may be using up some. Next week will be better. I'm off four days and I'm going to focus on those two projects.

Surgery number one went well! The doctor is amazing! And he's letting us know each step of the way.

John was in such good spirits last night. Two girls and a mom came to visit and he was cracking jokes.

It's going to be a very long road ahead.

Surgery number one went well! The doctor is amazing! And he's letting us know each step of the way.

John was in such good spirits last night. Two girls and a mom came to visit and he was cracking jokes.

It's going to be a very long road ahead.

Glad to hear that it's going well. Prayers will continue for a speedy recovery.

The rain from Isaac will start for us today. It remains to be seen just how much we'll get; the predictions keep changing--from 4-8", then 1-2", now back to the higher end. We need rain, but not 6-8"!

I hope to get lots of crocheting done over the holiday weekend!

I'm now 2/3 of the way through my sweetheart blanket I will have it done in a little over a week!! I'm determined!!! I want to have it done before the beginning knitting class starts here so I don't have to worry about working on the blanket AND learning to knit!!!

Sounds like a great plan!

Linda, I'm happy to hear the good report, and that your son is handling it well.

We only got about a half inch of rain from Isaac's death throes. There may be a little more. I think we must have caught just the extreme western edge of it.

No more yarn used up. I'm in about the middle of skeins of all the projects I'm working on. I'm not expecting much change in the numbers, if any, by Saturday.

so far this week I have used up a ball and rolled 2 skeins into balls. I am finishing up some WIP...including some using multiple strands of yarn so that could use up lots. However, I have already started working on some Christmas ornaments...which use up tiny bits of this and that :think

Also I am knitting myself some fingerless gloves out of some yummy wool. Knitting is something that I am much slower at...I have finished about 2/3 of the first glove at this point.

And my girlfriend introduced me to Pinterest this week...a new obsession :D

Happy crocheting :)

You would think with all this time on my hands at the hospital that I would be going through yarn like crazy. I've hardly crocheted at all. I think my brain is still on overload from the accident.

An update: John had the chest tube removed yesterday. That's good. His hemoglobin was really low so he had to get two units of blood. He's in good spirits and a lot of friends are visiting.

It's just so hard to be a mom.

Linda glad to hear your son is doing fine.

I am going to post my totals for the week ending 9/1/2012 today as I feel I am not going to get much more crocheting done. Also I need to work on some necessary things tomorrow not connected at all to crocheting. Boring, but necessary. I wish my score would indicate I have used up some RHSS 7 oz. skeins or even better Caron One Pounder skeins but it doesn't. For the week ending 9/1/2012 is:

WTD: +8

I am currently working on a scrap lapghan. I am making it as one big granny square. So my +8 is balls of scrap yarn. At least I am using up yarn and not adding to my stash instead.:devil

I'm posting my totals now, so I don't forget over the weekend! I managed to use up a skein finishing my Granny Afghan Pillows, so:

Stashbuster Total: WTD +2 YTD +11

:c9

Archived