Easy pattern?

linda cee

I'm a beginner knitter and all but one of the patterns I have linked to in this post are ones I have successfully tried.

Dishcloths or washcloths are quick knits and useful besides. This one is all knit and purl, and since it's small, it is done before you have time to get bored.

It comes from this blog, and she has a lot of other dishcloth patterns posted as well.

I also just finished this one, which includes yarn overs and knitting two stitches together, as well as plain knit and purl stitches.

There are tons of other picture dishcloths available as free patterns as well.

I am a beginner knitter and I've made these baby booties. I used WW yarn and size 6 needles to make mine more of a 3 to 6 month size.

And these slippers are straight knit but changing colors every few stitches makes them a little less boring than just knitting on and on and on.... Another pattern for the same slippers with lots of pictures.

And lastly, my niece made this headband as her first knit project. I haven't made this one, but her's turned out really nice.

One of the things I did fairly early on was hats. They do not have to be made in the round but can be knit flat and then seamed up. Actually that was a good way to go in the beginning. I got practice reducing the stitches for the crowns and practice seaming. Later I learned to do them in the round on circular needles, finishing the crowns with double pointed needles. Practically any pattern may be seamed. Just add a couple of stitches extra for the seam and do it that way. Easy Hat Pattern

I also did a lot of dishcloths while learning how to control the stitches and tension. Even if it's pretty wonky at first a few runs through a washer and dryer smooths out most of the unevenness. Here is one of my favorite patterns: the Granny Dishcloth. It's simple and gives practice in yarn over increasing and Knit 2 together decreasing.

Don't be afraid to buy some inexpensive yarn and just take off with a simple pattern for learning. I actually knit, learned, and threw away some small items made of super-cheap yarn, telling myself that neither was it a "lost cause" nor had I "wasted time" — that instead I had learned a lot from that $2 skein of yarn. Or check Goodwill or thrift stores for even less expensive yarns to play with. You will learn bunches if you just take off and don't expect perfection right away. I think my whole first year of knitting was one long learning experience. Actually, it still is. Knitting is a deeper craft than most people realize.

Thank you both very much!!! All of these look so good I may have to do all of them but the slippers and hat would be wonderful for the weather around here (and my friend is grumbling because I haven't finished a pair of crocheted slippers I promised him but the pattern is wonky, or my reading of it is :P so maybe knitted ones would be better)

Have you tried Knitting Pattern Central? They have tons of free patterns for every level.

:manyheart

In the beginning, I did scarves, and that does get boring. Wash cloths or Dish cloths are nice because you can learn new things, and have a finished product in just a few days.

:manyheart

Thanks for the suggestion Linda!

And thank you for the links Carla! (I have a friend on Ravelry who is always saying if you need help use Knitting help but she never sent a link and google popped up with to many sites)

I learned to knit from you tube. I started out with dishcloths and still love them for quick travel knits. But since the reason I learned to knit was to make sweaters, I jumped right in on a simple tank top. One thing I learned early on was to make use of life lines. In fact, mamaoso taught me that. Here are some: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#photo=yes&craft=knitting&weight=worsted&view=captioned_thumbs&query=tank%20top&difficulties=1&sort=best

The first thing I made was a cell phone purse. Tiny yet new stitches for me to get the hang of things.

I may check out a few of those suggestions also.

I have KPC already bookmarked right beside my CPC :)

A cellphone cosy or a Kindle cosy would be quick and useful. You can also make socks on 2 needles. KPC has a pattern that knits up very nicely, and you can enjoy the magic of turning a heel without waiting until you are skilled enough to knit on dpns.

Archived