Some projects just aren't worth the money

Yarnmistress

Yesterday I purchased this great book called "Cool Crochet". It has some pretty awesome patterns in it. One I am dying to try is this beautiful dress, but today after pricing yarn for it, I decided it really wasn't worth it. I would need 22 balls of this cotton acrylic blend and the dress would end up costing me $160 to make.

Now, I think it's quite cool to make something (expensive or not) just because I have the satisfaction of knowing that I made it with my own two hands, but money is so tight and honestly I just don't think I could make sense out of spending that kind of money on yarn.

:(

I'll stick to cheaper projects for now, but some day...oh yes, some day I will actually spend money on some pretty fabulous yarn and make myself a dress.

i think there might be a subsitute for what you are looking for.. and did you take into consideration if you are subsituting the yardage.. and not the number of balls.. so metimes i can find a sub that is just fine that has more yards per ball .. just a thought.. if i really .liked the dress.. and really liked the yarn i would pay that..

the yarn that I am using for my current project cost about that much.. and i consider it a good investment

I would hate to pay that much for the yarn, spend all that time to make it and then find out that the style didn't suit me,:eek

OMG, I know I wouldn't make it........I have that book, the dress is beautiful to be sure but I have such a high waist that I know it wouldn't be the style for me........about the yarn substitution, you would have to make sure the yarn you substitute with holds it's shape as well as the yarn used to make the model.....if it lost it's shape you may be even more pissed at yourself :angry

I know what you mean! I have a huge list of things I would love to try making, but I can't justify spending so much money on a single project! And as Maria pointed out, it would really stink to spend all that money, then spend all that time making it only to discover it looks terrible on you. I don't mind buying crocheted items sometimes - it's cheaper and already been made, and I can try it on in the dressing room to make sure it's going to look good, and if it doesn't I just put it back on the rack. No wasted time or money that way.

Another option would be to scout for sales. I just spent $75 at my LYS for a project. $20 of that was on the book Hip to Crochet and the rest was on yarn for the Timeless Tank Top, plus enough to make side panels for a satin skirt and a skinny scarf. The yarn was 25% off the normal price~~I would have spent $93 in all without the sale, but I still would have bought the yarn. Like Beth, I feel I made a good investment.

I will freely admit that I spend more money than I should on yarn :D but I'm not a complete yarn snob yet.

It is nice when you can find a project that doesn't require a lot of yarn, though, and use the expensive stuff on them. I just (kn*tted) a little shrug that only used one skein of yarn, so I didn't care that I spent $8 on that one ball of cotton. Now, I wouldn't use that yarn for a crocheted afghan, because it would be waaaay too expensive, but for that project, it was worth it.

I have a project on my list for my future neice/nephew from Candy Babies...the CUTEST little jacket with 'shearling' trim. It calls for Berroco Suede ($10 a ball x4) and Berroco Plush (also about $10 a ball x2). And that $60 is if I *don't* want to make the matching hat or very cute UGG-like boots.

This kid will be totally spoiled. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

This kid will be totally spoiled. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I know just what you mean! The only reason I don't buy delicious alpaca/cashmere/silk blends to make stuff for my new niece is that I'm sure my sister doesn't have time to handwash. Of course, expensive cotton is purchased in copious amounts to make baby sweaters :D

Archived