Filet Crochet Help

genafan201

Hi All...I'm going to admit, I'm brand new to filet crochet, and in fact am working on only my second piece. But, I've had the same problem on both pieces. I chain the number of chains indicated, then work my row, and BOTH times have ended up with 3 extra chains at the end of the first row.

The first piece I actually started over with three less chains, but now that it's happened again I figured I'd better ask if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm supposed to be doing something with those extra chains...

Any help would be appreciated :day

Make absolutely sure you have the right number of meshes/blocks. If so, then just unravel the extra chains and weave in the end of the thread.

Let us know what the pattern is, and we can look and see what might cause the problem.

But a lot of us routinely make extra foundation chains and unravel the excess, so i consider that a valid technique!

Right now, ironically enough, I'm looking at the Snowstar pattern in Annie's Attic "Learn to do Filet Crochet in Just One Day"...Leave it to me to turn a one day project into a week long event...

Been there done that many times!!!:lol

I have the pattern book and I counted 31 mesh and block squares for row 1. Is that what you have?

Yes...

The instructions in the book say to get the number of chains you need to start, figure the number of blocks, both open and closed, multiply by 3, and when the first block is open add 6 chains and start in the 9th chain from hook, which is exactly what the instructions in the pattern state. But I end up with an extra 3 chains after working the first row. I just don't get it...

LOL pineapplequeen, that was the first thing I checked...99 chains. Funny thing, the first pattern I made was by chart only. I followed the "working from a chart" instructions for that one and ended up with the same extra 3 chains. I guess I won't worry about it...I'll work the pattern then cut then know out of the end of the chain and work the ends into my first row...that seems to work, right???

Thanks everyone for the help.

Hi All...I'm going to admit, I'm brand new to filet crochet, and in fact am working on only my second piece. But, I've had the same problem on both pieces. I chain the number of chains indicated, then work my row, and BOTH times have ended up with 3 extra chains at the end of the first row.

The first piece I actually started over with three less chains, but now that it's happened again I figured I'd better ask if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm supposed to be doing something with those extra chains...

Any help would be appreciated :day

Hi

I have this pattern so I worked up the first row and I didn't have any extra chains. Sometimes with the first row it is very easy to not skip enough chain spaces between the stitches or not have enough stitches for the solid blocks.

Thanks Martha...I guess I'll just have to keep trying...

PS...Jimmy Buffett is my favorite :)

Maybe you could try the first row with yarn to see if you have the same result. The bigger stitches would make them easier to see.

I used to listen to Jimmy Buffett all the time when I walked, I had a couple of cassette tapes that I recorded to play in my walkman...knew a lot of his songs by heart.

I always turn the chain over and work into the "bump" on the back side of the chain.

It'll look like this:

(I)

(I)

(I)

then the bump would be the I in the middle.

this is a good place to find some info

http://crochet.about.com/library/blfiletchain.htm

http://crochet.about.com/od/filet-crochet/tp/filet-crochet.htm

http://crochet.about.com/library/weekly/aa050298.htm

I hope this helps some

Well all, it took me four tries, but I finally got it to work out. I'm thinking that my biggest issue is I need to slow down LOL!... Unfortunately, I get a little carried away sometimes. I'll just have to remember when doing this work the first couple rows s-l-o-w-l-y to get them counted our correctly. Happy crocheting all!

Well all, it took me four tries, but I finally got it to work out. I'm thinking that my biggest issue is I need to slow down LOL!... Unfortunately, I get a little carried away sometimes. I'll just have to remember when doing this work the first couple rows s-l-o-w-l-y to get them counted our correctly. Happy crocheting all!

:clap Yea...I'm glad it finally worked out. I know what you're saying about the need to slow down...that happens to me sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Genafan,

Did you get your filet project finished?

Archived