Melty Snowpeople! (Merry Christmas) :)

Momcrochets

I've been having way too much fun creating these little cuties. I've just submitted the pattern to the 2013 CPAD, but I just couldn't wait, and so now I'm giving you an early bird chance at the pattern. :)

Melty Snowman

post-7396-135897714537_thumb.jpg

This pattern is copywrited to me, of course. You are naturally welcome to this pattern for personal use, and I don't mind if you wish to make them to sell at a craft fair, either. Do not sell my pattern, or in any other way, pass it off as your own. Please do not give copies away, but link people to this thread. Thanks a bundle! :U

Supplies:

sport weight “fleecy” yarn, such as ILTY Pitter Patter; white

sport weight “smooth” yarn, in contrasting colors of choice

size 3.75mm crochet hook

Notes:

Snowman may be made with any weight yarns. It is best if both the main yarn and the contrasting yarns are of equivalent weights. Adjust hook size accordingly.

I used the “invisible” decrease wherever a decrease was called for in this design. To make an invisible decrease, insert your hook through the front loop only of the first stitch, and the back loop only of the second stitch over which you are working your decrease. YO, pull through both loops, and finish your sc as usual.

Do not join rounds, except where specified. Use a stitch marker to mark end of rounds.

It is advisable to knot the tails after the magic ring has been closed (I usually work a round or two first, then go back to knot the tail). All the tails can be left, and hidden inside the snowman or his hat...with the exception of the tails on the end of the scarf)

To Make:

Snowman:

Using fleecy/textured yarn, make magic ring. Work 6 sc into the ring and pull tail to close.

2 sc in each sc around (12)

(2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st) 6 times. (18 sc)

(1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next st) 6 times. (24 sc)

1 sc in each sc around, for 5 rounds total. (24 sc per round)

(1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches, sc decrease over next 2 stitches) 6 times. (18 sc)

(1 sc in next st, sc decrease over next 2 stitches) 6 times. (12 sc)

repeat step 3 (18 sc)

repeat step 3 (27 sc)

1 sc in each sc around. Repeat for 6 rounds total. FO, leaving long (18”) tail for sewing. Set aside.

Snowman Base:

Using fleecy yarn, make magic ring and work 6 sc into ring. Pull tail to close.

2 sc in each st around. (12 sc)

(2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st) 6 times. (18 sc)

(1 sc in each of the next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next st) 6 times. (24 sc)

(2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 stitches) 6 times (30 sc)

(1 sc in each of the next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next st) 6 times (36 sc)

Sl st in first st, Ch 2, hdc in same st. Skip 1 st, sl st into next st. *[sc, hdc] in next st, [dc, tr] in next st, [dc, hdc] in next st. [sc, ch 2, dc] in next st. Skip 2 stitches, sl st in next st. [sc, hdc] in next st, [dc, tr] in next st, [dtr, tr] in next st, [dc, hdc] in next st, Sc in next st. [sl st, ch 3, dc] in next st. Sk 2, sl st in next st. Repeat from *, around until you get back to the beginning of the round. FO. Weave in tails, or use yarn needle to bring tails to center, where they will hide inside snowman.

Generously stuff with polyfill; but do not over-stuff the bottom, or it will not sit flat on it's bottom when complete. Use yarn needle and tail from body, to sew the two layers together.

Using glass beads, sew eyes, mouth and buttons onto snowman, as illustrated in photo. Using small seed-beads, sew on “carrot” nose. To do this, anchor thread on face where the nose will go. String 5 tiny seed-beads onto your thread, and slide to face. Thread one more bead, and then going “around” the last bead threaded, bring needle back through the first 5 beads. Anchor onto face, bring needle back to 'nose' area, and string 5 more beads, slide them to the face, and then bring your needle up through the end bead and back down through the same 5 beads. Anchor, pull thread through body to neck, knot around a stitch in the neck, to secure, and then pull thread back through body to other side of neck before trimming, to bury the tails.

Scarf:

Using CC, chain 47

Hdc in back bump of third chain from hook, and all remaining chains. (using the back bump gives you a more finished edge for both sides of the scarf). FO, weave in tails.

Hat 1:

Using CC, make magic ring, 4 sc into ring, pull tail to close.

(2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next) twice (6 sc)

1 sc in each sc around.

(1 sc in next st, 2 sc in next) 3 times (9sc)

Repeat step 3

(1 sc in each of next 2 sts, 2 sc in next) 3 times (12 sc)

Repeat step 3

(1 sc in each of next 3 sts, 2 sc in next) 3 times (15 sc)

Repeat step 3

(1 sc in each of next 4 sts, 2 sc in next) 3 times (18 sc)

Repeat step 3

(1 sc in each of next 5 sts, 2 sc in next) 3 times (21 sc)

Repeat step 3

(1 sc in each of next 6 sts, 2 sc in next) 3 times (24 sc)

Repeat step 3. FO, leaving long (12”) tail for sewing.

Hat 2:

With CC, make magic ring, and work 6 sc into ring. Pull tail to close.

2 sc in each sc around (12)

(2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next) 6 times (18 sc)

Working in BLO, sc in each sc around. (18 sc)

Sc in each sc around, for 3 rounds. Join after 3rd round.

Working in FLO, 2 hdc in each sc around. Join.

Working in both loops again, (2 hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next st) around. (end with 2 hdc in last st). Join. FO, leaving long (12”) tail for sewing. Weave tail back to round 6, where you will use the free loops to sew hat to snowman's head.

To fold the top of the hat, pinch fold it down, and mark where the tip meets the side. Now take a scrap of the same yarn, and working from the inside of the hat, pull yarn to outside, through a stitch at the top of the point, and back down into the hat through the same stitch. Knot to secure, tuck tails into hat.

Position hat onto snowman's head. When you are satisfied with the location, use tail to sew into place. Work a small knot around the first “sewn” thread, pull thread into hat and out through side with yarn needle, pull fairly taut and cut tail. As it relaxes the tail should disappear into the hat.

Arrange scarf around neck of snowman, letting one end reach the base, and even lay flat onto the base, Use scrap of same yarn to tack into place where the scarf overlaps. If desired, go through a stitch of the snowman as well, to anchor scarf. Knot in back of scarf, and use yarn needle to pull tail up into, and out of hat. Pull taut and cut as you did with the hat, and the tail will disappear.

You are most welcome. and thank you for the kind comments. have fun with your snowpeople. :U so far, every single one I've made, with the same pattern, comes out with it's own personality. :yes:U can't wait to see pictures :wink

Archived