so dissapointed!!! :( -update post 34!!! she changed her mind!

Don't despair! My granddaughter went through the same phase...She is 20 now, and I've been turning out hats like mad! Her friends love them, but I refuse to give them away........yeah, I'm mean that way! Considering they are made with merino, and take me a bit of time because of my hands being un-cooperative at times........

The 15 year old also asked for (and received) matching hats and scarves.......The Queen Anne's Lace scarf pattern. Give her a bit of time, and then she will be back........:yes

Until then.......:hug

Thanx ladies. It's good to know there's a chance of her changing her mind.

When she was 8 I made her a sweater coat. She was wearing it on the bus and her one friend (whose stepmother is just awful to her) made such fun of her for wearing something hand made that she's never really wanted anything other than afghans after that. I find it really sad.

:hug awwww. I'm sorry to hear it :hug Your work is so beautiful!

I agree, she'll probably be back...but it's sad to watch it happen when they suddenly don't want crochet anymore. (Of course, this summer, the stores were full of clothes with mass-produced crochet embellishments...so maybe she'll come back even sooner?) maybe it's a peer pressure thing?

Thanx ladies. It's good to know there's a chance of her changing her mind.

When she was 8 I made her a sweater coat. She was wearing it on the bus and her one friend (whose stepmother is just awful to her) made such fun of her for wearing something hand made that she's never really wanted anything other than afghans after that. I find it really sad.

How Sad! DD had someone say something to her last year when she was wearing her new "Mom-made" sweater...about wearing stuff that's old fashioned. (DD was 6, it was a classmate). She was upset, but I was able to comfort her in a way that didn't make her feel bad about the outfit (the pattern was from Jaybird's book...new and fresh, not remotely old-fashioned)...I was fortunate. She still loves her mom-made clothes.

My 16 year old daughter told me two years ago she didn't want any crocheted stuff for Christmas...then proceeded to raid my stash of hats when she needed a gift for her friends...or when she spotted a charity hat fresh off the hook that she particularly liked. Now she's still stealing hats fresh off the hook and just today told me how a family friend who's her age, would like a tam like the one I made her two years ago...Hang in there. Minds are made to change.

So sorry Michelle, but like mentioned before, it is just a phase. Went thru it with some relatives, but in time they do realize the foolishness of that kind of decision.

Keep your chin up, she will be back begging for something she can't find or afford that is ready made. :hug

I refuse to buy the mass produced shop bought rubbish lol! I made my daughter a panda hat for her birthday and I had the mum of one of her friends approach me this morning asking if I could make one for her daughter as she had put it on her christmas list (with directions to ask me ha ha). So my kids are great for advertising! I suppose it depends on whats in fashion, the age they are at and the peer pressure is always unavoidable! She will come round in the end, and she will remember that mum always knows best!

My goodness, same old prejudices just keep rolling around. I can remember when I was a teenager (I'm in my 60's now) and wore handmade clothes to school. Even during that generation, peer pressure was a nasty thing. Handmade translated into being either "poor" or from the wrong side of the tracks. I loved that my mom put so much love into my clothes and sometimes I wondered if the other kids weren't just a tad jealous.

Give her time to find her own path and it will surely lead right back to you.

Sorry to hear that!. Maybe you could keep you eye out for the knit/crochet items her friends are wearing/appear on teens or celebrities on TV/in the Jr. dept. of her favorite store and see if something appeals to her that you could recreate in similar fibers, yarn weight and colors.

Turn out a hat that looks EXZACTLY Like the one's mass made that they sell in walmart and She will change her mind ;).

My 10 yr old saw them and looks at me n said "Mom you could make that" an put it down.

But she is also a loom knitter, I've yet to teach her crochet.

You guys are soooo great. Thanx so much for the understanding and encouragement. I really hope she changes her mind soon.

As far as afghans go though - those she loves. Now I have to make one for her boyfriend for Christmas.

Just so you know, it's not really about the crochet. It could be anything associated with you. She is trying to find her style, her likes.

I went through the same thing with my son only it was something else we shared, not crochet. Several years later, he came back around to liking it again.

Hang in there. :hug

Just so you know, it's not really about the crochet. It could be anything associated with you. She is trying to find her style, her likes.

I went through the same thing with my son only it was something else we shared, not crochet. Several years later, he came back around to liking it again.

Hang in there. :hug

This also happened with my daughter. She didn't want to be "different" than her friends. So eventually, she came back and started asking for certain colors, etc. It's just a crazy phase. Hang in there! :manyheart

Don't dispare, growing up the only store bought things we wore were underware, socks and shoes. My Mom made everything.

My first paycheck, I spent it on store bought cloths. Didn't realize it at the time, but it did bother my Mom. I soon learned how lucky I was and wished my Mom still made my cloths.

She will grow out of this and will love whatever you make.

Just take a deep breath and wait.:hug

This also happened with my daughter. She didn't want to be "different" than her friends. So eventually, she came back and started asking for certain colors, etc. It's just a crazy phase. Hang in there! :manyheart

For my daughter, at the time she declared 'no crocheted gifts' she was desperately wanting to 'fit in' with her peers. She still does, but she's found it's more fun to be the one in the crowd who goes is unafraid to wear something 'different'. She's caught flack from at least one popular girl at school for it, but she's not too concerned about her opinion.

Oh Michele my heart goes out to you! I have to tell you that I was picked on for my clothes when I was younger.... My mom got upset one day when I was complaining about my clothes and she made me listen to that old country song about a coat of many colors. I know that doesn't matter in the scheme of your story.

All I can say is that it won't always be this way. Take care

My three daughters now ask me to make them things! They are adults now- in their late 20's early 30's. In fact one of them saw a hat I had finished with a flower on it- and asked if she could have it. Teenagers have to find their own way- glad she stilll likes the afghans, though. She'll come around- hang in there. I didn't think i'd survive 3 teenage daughters at once, but I did. They truly love and appreciate the handmade items I've given them, and continue to ask for more- so i truly believe its just the age with your DD

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Archived