Have you ever noticed?

AbbyNormal

Have you ever noticed how people that only knit,or learned to knit first, look down on crocheters?

My favorite little yarn shop does NOT cater to crocheters at all. It kind of makes me sad.

I was talking with the ladies in there one day and they mentioned knitting classes. I said I was mainly a crocheter and was busy making afghans for Christmas. Their faces changed and they sort of weeded me out of the conversation.

I have also been crocheting in drs offices and had a somebody come up and ask what I was doing. I would say I was crocheting "____" and noses would be turned up and hear "oh I thought you were knitting" or "oh.....crochet"

Now I know most people do not even know the difference when I am out and about and that doesn't bother me. I have great respect for anyone who does any skill with their hands.

But my main beef is that crochet is looked down on. I just wanted to rant about it. :soap I see the two crafts as equal and takes skill to be able to learn to do what any of us can do.

I bow down to all of you that can out stitch me and leave me with my jaw hanging open at the projects I see posted. :nworthy:applause

I don't understand why one craft is looked down upon by certain people. They both take skills to be able to do the beautiful work that I see all over. So I think we need to just ignore those kind of people, and do what we enjoy.

There are some yarn shops that are against crocheters and I really don't understand that at all. Crochet takes more yarn, so you would think they would welcome crocheters with open arms.

I just don't understand all the hubbub either.

:manyheart

I think this really depends on where you live. Here in the U.S. South crochet is more widely done than knitting and so many yarn shops cater to both knitters and crocheters. I know my favorite shop carries a full line of supplies and tools for both and they will help you with either kind of work. In our own rural county you will see crochet almost exclusively at the county fair. Knitting just isn't being shown much at all, although I admit I missed this year's fair. I think the other related issue here is a yarn prejudice. Many crocheters happily work in acrylics and less expensive yarns. Again, here in the South where there are so many crocheters there is little need for wool garments so why not? But plenty of knitters dislike acrylic and, I hate to say it, may look down on the crocheters who use them.

It's too bad, really. I have seen exquisite work in both knitting and crochet and I have also seen very bad work in both mediums, too. Why not judge a work on its individual merits rather than discounting a whole medium just because some of it is bad?

I think this is probably a regional thing as well. The first time I went into my local yarn shop, the owner admired the crocheted hats dd and I were wearing, and she immediately recognized that they were crocheted. She is a knitter, but also carries crochet supplies and patterns.

Archived