Just wanted to say HI

AbbyNormal

I was so excited to see that there was a spot for those of us that crochet and knit.

I have had some trouble getting the hang of knitting and there is nobody near me, that I know of, that knits that can help me.

I tend to stay to making straight pieces with little variation in the stitches.I did however teach myself to knit left handed so that when I am making something where I just knit each row I don't have to turn it. I just go left handed and purl each stitch across which makes it the same as turning and knitting each stitch. It kind of keeps the brain working instead of going numb over doing the same thing over and over.

ANYWAY.......I will probably be checking in here from time to time since I want to learn how to make socks now and will need LOTS of help I know it.

Well welcome to the land of newbie knitters, I am one myself. I have crocheted for many years, but am a self taught knitter. If you can get to http://www.youtube.com, there are many videos on different knitting stitchs, techniques etc. Good luck, I love knitting, it takes longer than crocheting but it is a very relaxing craft.

Well welcome to the land of newbie knitters, I am one myself. I have crocheted for many years, but am a self taught knitter. If you can get to www.youtube.com, there are many videos on different knitting stitchs, techniques etc. Good luck, I love knitting, it takes longer than crocheting but it is a very relaxing craft.

I agree. And you are so right about knitting taking longer than crocheting. I just love both crafts.

Youtube has some amazing videos about knitting. It's a great resource when you get stuck on something.

:manyheart

I have the needles,the yarn and the pattern for the socks. The nerve to get started? Don't have that yet.

I am working on 2 afghans though. One is a multi colored,do it yourself varigated scheme. The other I am using lion Brand homespun and couldn't decide what color. SO....I got a big set of needles (15 I think) and I cast on 40 stitches and knit until I ran out of the skein. I am going to do this about 4 or 5 more times,each time using a different color of yarn. This one will also turn out in a sort of hodgepodge/sampler scheme.

These are christmas presents so the people getting them better understand they have to treasure them FOREVER since they will be my first knitted projects.

AND as if I don't have enough pojects going on........my great neice is having her 2nd birthday party here at my house and I am knitting her a cutesy purse. I am just making a pink and white rectangle,sew up the sides,add a strap and since she LOVES Blue's Clues I will crochet a few blue circles and make a "paw print" on the front of the bag.

It sounds more complicated than it really is. I just hope it doesn't look like a newbie made it and she likes it.

I think of knitting as my budget craft. It takes so much longer and can use less yarn or stretches the yarn I have, that when money is tight, I knit.

Socks! I'm still too afraid to tackle socks.

patty

You are so right about it using less yarn. It surprised me when I figured that out.

I have the needles,the yarn and the pattern for the socks. The nerve to get started? Don't have that yet.

I do this, too. Wait till I think I am "ready" to try a certain type of project. I read a good bit about sock structure to try to understand it as well as I could before starting. They are not my favorite thing to knit but I do love the fabulous warmth of wool socks —mmmmmm. And it's pretty cool to think I knitted those things on my feet!

AbbyNormal, I admire you for aiming to try socks!

It hasn't occurred to me to knit socks, (except for baby booties), and I suspect it never will.

I consider myself a beginner knitter, and I will probably always be one. I have, somewhat to my surprise, mastered many knitting techniques, (mostly from "The Learn to Knit Afghan" book by Barbara Walker)

However, I haven't figured out knitting in the round. However, I am super slow and quite awkward. (which is why I think this is probably out, I can barely keep track of what is going on with two needles, let alone four or five!)

AbbyNormal, I admire you for aiming to try socks!

It hasn't occurred to me to knit socks, (except for baby booties), and I suspect it never will.

I consider myself a beginner knitter, and I will probably always be one. I have, somewhat to my surprise, mastered many knitting techniques, (mostly from "The Learn to Knit Afghan" book by Barbara Walker)

However, I haven't figured out knitting in the round. However, I am super slow and quite awkward. (which is why I think this is probably out, I can barely keep track of what is going on with two needles, let alone four or five!)

When working with double-pointed needles (DPNs), although it may LOOK like there's a pointed octopus in your hands, you only work with two needles at a time. The others are "on deck" and will just have to wait.

Other ways of working in the round are with two circular needles and with one long circular. Check out the booklet, "The Magic Loop: Working around on One Needle (Knit socks and a whole lot more!)," by Sarah Hauschka and Bev Galeskas. Published by http://www.fibertrends.com in East Wenatchee, WA 98802, September 2002.

DCM

The knitting help videos are excellent. They predate youtube, but are far superior, at least in my opinion. When I need to remind myself how to knit American/English style, I just put her video on loop for a few turns and voila, I remember. Very clear instructions, multiple examples of the stitches, good graphics on the website--I second the recommendation.

Archived