Holes in oblong starting round

saint6811

Question

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid holes in the center of the oblong starting round?...where you chain so many and then work stitches up one side then down the other to make an oblong or oval shape to start rounds.

I am getting holes right in the middle where the base of the stitches go one way and the other, using the front loop for the first side, and the back loops for teh second side. Then I have tried using the front loop first, then both remaining loops for the second side.

I have been having trouble with that recently making socks/slippers that are toe up patterns. I've been sewing in the spaces with the beginning tail, but it would be nice to not have to do that if there is another method out there that works better.

TIA! :)

joy

4 answers to this question

Carolyn,

Thank you, I'll try that as well....it seems that the back bump of those chain stitches end up all by themselves down the center with big gaps by the time I am working on the second round.....I didnt know if I was doing something wrong all together or if there is a secret trick to doing it.

Joy :)

I discovered years ago that I didn't like those little gaps either, when making bags or slippers. I leave an extra long starting tail and weave it down through the row. If it's thin yarn, I weave back through to the beginning for a second row to fill it in even more.

I discovered years ago that I didn't like those little gaps either, when making bags or slippers. I leave an extra long starting tail and weave it down through the row. If it's thin yarn, I weave back through to the beginning for a second row to fill it in even more.

Yes, that's what I have been doing too....glad to know it's not something I'm doing wrong, lol! :)

Archived