crochetingmomof4

Crocheted Edging on Fabric - advice please

Question

I would like to add a crocheted edging to a fleece blanket that came with a basic finished edge. Would it be better to crochet onto the finish that is already there? I'm wondering if my crocheted edge will pull on it over time and not be adequately close and secure to the blanket in the end if I do that. So maybe it would be better to remove the factory finish edge and then use the holes that are already poked for me?

Next question: What looks best on fleece, considering its thickness...Yarn or thread?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

4 answers to this question

I don't know much about fleece, but the hem needs to be stabalized so it doesen't ravel, if fleece ravels, and so it doesn't stretch. You could pull out the factory finish and machine stitch over the edge and then use the holes for the edging. Try the edging before you pull out anything and then go from there. Once the factory finish is gone, you may not be happy with the other option. Good luck!

You may be able to work "over" the factory edging...if it's just a simple buttonhole stitch type of appearance, and you use a thicker thread than it was stitched with, you can use the holes their stitching created, and go from there. I've edged with yarn and with thread, and both work nicely. I like thread better, b/c of the texture contrast with the fleece, of course, a smooth yarn would also look nice, IMHO. Either way, when working into the small holes of the fleece, it's easiest if you use a tiny :wink hook to pull the yarn or thread through. Yes, even yarn, can get tugged through a hole in fleece using a small hook (think 2.5 mm, or thereabouts...doesn't have to be precise, just what fits easily through the holes in the fleece.) and then tugging the yarn to make appropriate sized loops for the hook you will use for the rest of your edging. If you use thread, and the pre-made holes are too far apart, just work a chain or two as needed between your foundation round of single crochets to keep the fleece laying flat.

HTH

can't wait to see how it turns out! glad I could be of some help. :U