Crochet gone unnoticed on DIY knit show

Katandia

So I aspire to knit, though there are so many crochet projects I want to work on that I never get around to brushing up on my rusty knit skills. But I still download knit patterns and I like to watch Knitty Gritty on DIY network. A day or two ago (not sure when, I DVR everything!) they had an episode featuring Candi Jensen and a Berroco suede baby hat and booties - which I happen to be making right now! It's from her book Candy Babies, which is all crochet patterns, but apparently she adapted the pattern for knit. BTW, the crochet version was much cuter! Anyhow, at the end of the show, they had a little "fashion show" of kiddos wearing some of her cute creations - and they were ALL crocheted though they didn't even bother mentioning that fact at all!

I watch Knitty Gritty pretty religiously although I don't knit - or haven't learned quite yet. I was that episode and i've looked at that book. I have a coupld of Candi Jansen's books and some of those patterns were in there. They are cute....what cracked me up - is when they are under the knitty cam and they say 'knit directly on the stitch'....umh - its called 'single crochet'......

Directv has DIY, but unfortunately I don't get it because we have a really basic package and to get DIY (and a bunch of other things, like Discovery Times and one of the new History Channel stations and one of the cool new science channels and other nifty stuff) you have to have the package that includes the local network stations, which costs more. And we'd have to give up the networks that they gave us when we first signed up (before they could do local networks) because we live in the middle of nowhere and pretty much can't pick up anything by antenna--we get New York and Los Angeles versions of ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox (no PBS, UPN, etc. though), and because of the hours DH and I work it's a lot easier having the west coast stations so we have a chance to see shows that we'd miss while we're at work.

Wow, that was long-winded of me, sorry! :lol Anyway, I'd really love to get DIY, but we'd lose our west cost stations *and* be paying more than we are now, which isn't an option. Bummer, though. Seems like whenever Directv gets a cool new station it goes on the more expensive basic package.

If you want it here, you have to pay extra for it. It doesn't come with the basic cable package, so you gotta buy the box and all the extra stuff, and that is just too expensive. I may corner some people I know who have it and harass them until they agree to tape it for me once I know when it will be out. :devil:lol

Thank you for posting!

I watched that episode (and have it programmed to watch EVERY time it's on!) AND have checked that book out.

I was thinking "hmm- she has a crochet version & a knit version of that book?"

I get excited just to hear them say "crochet hook" as a needed material!

Sad, huh?

So I aspire to knit, though there are so many crochet projects I want to work on that I never get around to brushing up on my rusty knit skills. But I still download knit patterns and I like to watch Knitty Gritty on DIY network. A day or two ago (not sure when, I DVR everything!) they had an episode featuring Candi Jensen and a Berroco suede baby hat and booties - which I happen to be making right now! It's from her book Candy Babies, which is all crochet patterns, but apparently she adapted the pattern for knit. BTW, the crochet version was much cuter! Anyhow, at the end of the show, they had a little "fashion show" of kiddos wearing some of her cute creations - and they were ALL crocheted though they didn't even bother mentioning that fact at all!

I am a knitter and a crocheter. I have been doing a lot of crochet lately and I really, really believe that in the near future, we'll start seeing crochet really take off, just like knitting has. Take a look at the recent publications of Interweave Crochet and Family Circle Easy Crochet and all the books that are coming out. I really think that when SnB Crochet comes out, you'll see a lot more crochet. :hook

ooh, we get this channel and we have TiVo, so I should put that in my queue to record, but I keep forgetting (and they usually just have knitting stuff...).

Yeah, since all we record is my fiance's stuff anyway.

• 1 month later...
I am a knitter and a crocheter. I have been doing a lot of crochet lately and I really, really believe that in the near future, we'll start seeing crochet really take off, just like knitting has. Take a look at the recent publications of Interweave Crochet and Family Circle Easy Crochet and all the books that are coming out. I really think that when SnB Crochet comes out, you'll see a lot more crochet. :hook

Not soon enough for my liking...I get soooo annoyed when I go to the Mega Book Mark which is a book store at the PX (military shopping center) and like there's a million quilting books, maybe one or two knitting book and zilch crocheting magazines...this past year I've been on a mission to subscribe to as many crochet magazines as possible (I think I'm up to five so far...)

I was looking forward to going to the states this time, if only for more selection of magazines (I know they are out there...) and I couldn't believe it...same thing as in the PX...quilting and scrapebooking magazines left and right and maybe one or two crochet magazines...urgh...

I've watched this show a couple of times but because I can't knit I get upset as they always show really cool things that I can't make!!!

I did a search in my Tivo for the keyword :Crochet and NOTHING ever comes up! Once in awhile there will be a crochet project on one of the DIY shows, but very rarely. I cannot believe how us crocheters get thrown to the side like we don't matter! I sure hope they start to gear more things towards us!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been crocheting 38 years full years and have knit 38 on and off mostly off--don't care for it much...........I watch knitty gritty and love it. Since I have watched that show and see the different ways people knit I have now knit faster and better a different way. I am now likeing to knit the hand way. Since watching the show I have made 2 knitted potholders using 2 strands of yarns. something small to do project knitting and knitted differnt then I used to knit. I do have a knitting machine but you cannot do everything on it. Still learning the knitting machine. Made a baby blanket on it and 2 scarfes. Those turned out pretty and did really easy. And 1 terrible pair of leggings. anyways....

I have written to DIY about bringing on a crochet show. Couple months back. I truly believe if more people write in for a crochet show they will bring one.

Come on everyone lets all write in for a crochet show!

*sniff* I wish that I got more television in English.....let alone the DIY network!! :lol I have 2 of the BBC channels, but they seem to show more sports than anything else, although I have caught a few Trading Spaces type shows on them every now and then!

• 7 months later...
*sniff* I wish that I got more television in English.....let alone the DIY network!! :lol

I live in the US & I wish our cable company would remove the many channels on our box that broadcast in languages that I don't speak. There are a bunch of channels I have to skip over and wonder, why can't the cable company customize each box?

I am not asking them to discontinue any channel, I just don't want them displayed on my box. It must be even more annoying from the non-English language perspective here in the US; to only speak one language (not English) and having only two or three channels that speak your language, making most of the channels on their box useless.

There has been talk here in CA at least of changing the rules so that cable/satellite must allow customization; so you can at least not have a zillion channels wasting space on your box. I don't have TIVO or any of its equivalents (I can record on a VCR, but prefer DVD format), so I miss a lot of programs.

• 1 month later...

I miss my Knitty Gritty... I was watching it pretty religiously too... When I got my condo in '04 I moved out of my parents house... bye bye DIY and cable!!!

I found that I knit "cleaner" having watched the show... I have been on and off with both knit and crochet since I started as a lill'un... I really never stopped either... I just go on my kicks... for a few months I'll crochet... a few I'll knit.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I've seen that show. I don't get why knitting is so popular and crocheting isn't! Ugh! I was a t a bookfair at school not too long ago actually I think it was last week. Anyways, I noticed a little "Knit book" It said " Learn how to knit" on it so I opened it up and there it was a crochet hook and all the directins were in crochet terms! Can you say 'False advertisment' ?

• 4 weeks later...

I just started watching Knitty Gritty, and even though I don't knit I do enjoy the show. Although, everytime I watch it, I find myself wondering why the host never wears any knitted items! She always has on a pair of jeans and a shirt, but no sweater or scarf or anything.

I also watch Knitty Gritty and I enjoy it too, but on one ep, I think that it was the 80's fashoin one with the "netted" top and the legwarmers, it kind of bothered me that the guest designer that was on kept on calling the crocheted chain stitch, single crochet and she said that she does alot of crochet with the knitting. You would think that if she also crocheted she would know the stitch names. I would understand if she called the slip stitch, single crochet, because that is the British term, but chain stitch being called single crochet?

I would love to see shows that are strictly on crochet, not just once in a while, like on Uncommon Threads.

I just started watching Knitty Gritty, and even though I don't knit I do enjoy the show. Although, everytime I watch it, I find myself wondering why the host never wears any knitted items! She always has on a pair of jeans and a shirt, but no sweater or scarf or anything.

She actually does wear knitted stuff sometimes, just not on every show.

She actually does wear knitted stuff sometimes, just not on every show.

Oh. I'll have to keep watching to see - she has not worn any knitted items all this past week, which struck me as odd.

Archived