help with elf bootie?

deborahhoffman

Question

Hi there, I’m trying to form a heel on a baby elf bootie (so cute, right?!) and am having trouble understanding the instructions. I started with the toe and am now at 24sc around. I'm now ready to create the heel. Instructions say to “fold bootie in half and find the top middle sc, count back 3sc and start this row in that sc. So that you will be leaving hte middle 7sc unworked. Ch1, turn. 1sc in each of the next 17sc. Ch1, turn.” Can anyone help? I’m not sure which way to fold to find the center and then don’t know how to skip over so many stitches to start a new row. :eek Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Hi there, I’m trying to form a heel on a baby elf bootie (so cute, right?!) and am having trouble understanding the instructions. I started with the toe and am now at 24sc around. I'm now ready to create the heel. Instructions say to “fold bootie in half and find the top middle sc, count back 3sc and start this row in that sc. So that you will be leaving hte middle 7sc unworked. Ch1, turn. 1sc in each of the next 17sc. Ch1, turn.” Can anyone help? I’m not sure which way to fold to find the center and then don’t know how to skip over so many stitches to start a new row. :eek Thanks!

It sounds like you have a cone shaped piece that you started from just a few sc and increased until you had 24 sc, then added some length to that. Did you join each round or did you work it as a spiral (going around without joining and using a stitch marker to mark the end of each round)? Did you fasten off after you got tot the point that you were ready to start the heel? If you did joined rounds and fastened off, I would say that the seam would be the bottom middle (but this is just a guess). If you did the spiral version, I would just use the last stitch made as the middle bottom stitch.

Once you find your middle stitch and count back 3 sc, you join your yarn in that stitch then work around the side, bottom, other side, until you get to the 17th st (24-7=17). Then ch 1 and turn and continue with your instructions.

Hope this helps to get you on your way to completing the elf booties. They sound adorable. :)

Archived