General Questions & Discussion

Thunder84

The edging instruction is horrible! I've been sitting the past hour and didn't even start yet. I don't know why its all crammed into a very long sentence rather than break lines and make it shorter/clearer. :-( I'm still trying to figure out which of the strip on row 24 to start the joining.

I don't know how the designer got away with this for so long...but this dishcloth/pattern is too big and actually needs more yarn (more than a ball) than the pattern calls for. Its really big..more like a towel instead. I have to modify it somehow to make it an actual dishcloth. 8x8 is the standard size?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its really big..more like a towel instead. I have to modify it somehow to make it an actual dishcloth. 8x8 is the standard size?

More a matter of preference - I happen to like 8 x 8 and why as I mentioned in a previous post.

It says in the pattern that it's 10x11 inches. that's too big for my taste. You can go down to an E hook with cotton - that'll make it smaller.

One thing you can do to help with the long paragraph for the edging is copy and paste it into your word processing program and then put a line between each section of the edging.

something like:

sc in each st along the edge

3sc in the corner

(3dc, ch4) in each st across

Obviously, that's not a real pattern - just an example to show you that you can make it easier to read and follow.

Designers have their own style of writing patterns. Some are easier to follow than others and people have different ways of understanding. One thing that can help is to find a designer who's instructions are easy to follow for you and stick to their designs.

Yeah, I am going to downsize the cloth, because people will only pay like $2 or $3 each, so making it smaller will still remain the same price while giving me another cloth to sell.

I will do that when I go up to my store today (opens all week for Christmas special) and have it printed, too.

I'm going to print other patterns, too, and show to my aunt some completed patterns and see which she thinks will be best to sell.

I finished it.

The curvy border didn't seem to look right to me for this pattern, so I decided on two rows of single crochet. Why two? Because the strips was a bit loose (maybe normal cuz of shrinkage after wash), so I single crochet over one dc of strips then next single crochet row over ending dc of strips. That makes it a firm fit. Now to toss them in the washer to see how it goes.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/thunderokc/Dishcloths%20_%20Towels/2011-12-23234555.jpg

As for dishcloth size, which is best... 9 squares to make perfect square or 12 squares to make it rectangle?

Thanks, but I can never be as good as the ladies here. Remember, I'm a dude. LOL!!!

Okay, here is a small size (9 squares) completed. I added an extra border row.

Could this pattern be better used as hot pad instead? With the weaves, I don't think a second side (on the back) is necessary, because the weaves help the raise a bit.

So, should I sell it as hot pad or dish cloth or both?

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/thunderokc/Dishcloths%20_%20Towels/2011-12-24214237.jpg

And here is something interesting... Too late to order, but buy some for next year.

http://www.fortisdesign.com/shop/wool-stocking-designer-duct-tape/

Great for wrapping Christmas presents (or whatever presents) as a great warning that its a crocheted item(s) inside. Most people find it dreadful to be given a crocheted gift. LOL!!!

I will sell it as Premium Dishcloth and that it can also be used as Premium Hot Pad, because the four center cross sections are like triple thickness and the weaves are like double thickness, so the support is there for that. This is not ideal for Holder uses.

To make it 9 squares, you start with 36 chains and start the dc in 4th chain from the hook. Two horizontal strips will be 36 chains and two vertical strips will be 32 chains. I do 3 rows of sc, so two of the rows capture two dc of strips (first sc row goes over the second dc of strips, second sc row goes over ending dc of strips, and third sc just goes all around to make it a tad bit bigger).

When weaving, the horizontal strips always go under the vertical strips under the cross sections, because the horizontal strips are longer and need to go under the vertical strips to make it a firm fit. Also, it depends on how you crochet.

12 squares can be done and I think to start is 48 chains.

For now, I am going to stock up on these small size duel Dishcloth - Hot Pad.

No one haven't commented on how they generally join yarns together and if they just cut the excess off or weave them in. Any thoughts on that?

I usually tie an overhand knot and leave about 6 inches of tails. I'll crochet over each one separately (or else you'll get a bump) and them use a sewing needle to weave them back in the opposite direciton.

If you put 3 st in to each corner of the border rounds it'll stop curling up and lay flat and square.

Its what I'm doing in the corners. They are flat to me. I also stretch them around and rub around flat on the floor and it works.

Okay, I have plenty of 2" rings and need to know what to do with them. I don't want to return them to Hobby Lobby. I'd like to make something attractive for retail. Too late to make Christmas wreath (will do next year), so what patterns can I do for fridge magnets using the 2" plastic rings? I know a flower is one, but I'm not sure if there are any way to fill in the center or leave the center openly empty while crocheting something all around. Any ideas?

I don't have a pattern for either flower, but why don't you do a search on Free Original Patterns; put "flower" in the Search This Forum tab. You may find something similar to the two you listed.

Crochetville is a great place to find free patterns for just about anything.

Yup, I'm doing that already and went thru several pages then stopped to watch Polar Express on the ABC Family channel. I found one similar great for little girls' bracelet.

Why don't you just contact the people who posted those and ask if they'd let you know where you could obtain the pattern?

I haven't gotten a response yet. I have leftover yarns that I prefer to use up quickly before clutters become a mountain. :-D

_____

How often do ya'all buy scissors? I'm using my mom's scissor, but its kinda dull. I need a new one and I'm not the one to just randomly buy a scissor. It has to look really kool to me. LOL!!! There is a set at Michaels, really kool rubber design, but only pink and black. PINK?!?!?!?! Why can't they have any other colors... There are some blues, but those are like real plain...cheap looking. No luck on eBay. What kind of scissors do ya'all get?

I forgot to ask... Why are cotton yarns not arranged properly? Acrylic is easily pulled out, but with all the cotton yarns, I have to yank them around. I'm considering getting a bowl with lid and have a hole made for the yarn to go thru so it don't spin all over the place.

• 2 weeks later...
I forgot to ask... Why are cotton yarns not arranged properly? Acrylic is easily pulled out, but with all the cotton yarns, I have to yank them around. I'm considering getting a bowl with lid and have a hole made for the yarn to go thru so it don't spin all over the place.

A simpler idea is to just use a deep container - I use an empty oatmeal type box (without the cover) and it works great.

Once you get going and decide on what you are making and colors, you can buy your cotton in 1 pound cones. They contain a lot more yarn and are usually priced less per yard than the skeins are. I purchased some not long ago at a huge sale online. The prices were amazing! If you keep your eyes peeled, the big sales usually get posted on here. That is where I read about the last one. Even with shipping, it was far less than Walmart prices.

I was searching for a list of colors of yarn basic colors that go well together anyone know of a list or can help me create one here thanks. I am trying to make projects like a hat & scarf & gloves sets but want something colorful that goes well together..

Jayashiangel, your best bet would be to read these articles on color theory and color relationships

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory

http://www.worqx.com/color/color_wheel.htm

But remember, maybe people WANT odd color combinations. I happen to like red and yellow together, depending on what the project is, so its all a matter of taste, realistically.

Archived