General Questions & Discussion

Thunder84

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, gosh, i have to apologize:blush. The dictionary says a trivet is a tripod, or a stand for a hot dish. So i guess that is no better than hot pad! I am sorry for the misinformation--i guess i use the word pretty loosely.

How about "plant mat", or just mat? Maybe "table mat"?

I will consider Trivet some more and look up other possible words when I have access to my comp.

Amy, you talk about liabilty issues, well I think with that is important to explain why its for decorative use, because people will most likely ignore it and use for actual direct hot pad. So its important to be clear. I made these for many years off 'n on and sold them real good as hot pads without ever knowing that the yarns actually melt. Past few days, I look at the yarns....feel it all over...and can't believe that its plastic when it feels like real yarn. Its a shock. So the "for decorative use only" is not enough, but I am including that phrase along with clear understanding to the customers.

Amy, you talk about liability issues, well I think with that is important to explain why its for decorative use, because people will most likely ignore it and use for actual direct hot pad. So its important to be clear.
No - it's not. Short, sweet and directly to the point is important. If someone chooses to use it in any other way besides hanging on the wall looking pretty then it's their problem not yours.

In this instance, we're not talking about safety - we're talking about legal liability. I personally think it's stupid that we live in a society where we have to CONSTANTLY CYA but - my personal feelings on it have very little to do with the legalities of it.

If you want to talk about it when someone purchases these things - I guess that's ok but you don't want to put it in writing.

Have you thought about making 2 sections - one for actual use made out of cotton and one for decoration only?

The yarn are Acrylic, therefore the pads should never come into direct contact with extreme heat.

It doesn't take 'extreme heat' to ruin the hot pad. When it gets hot enough it will stretch and thin and that's at a way lower temperature than it actually melting. It's during this stage that it can thin enough that you may as well take the thing out of the oven with your bare hands.

You're going to do whatever you want - most people do. You have received excellent advice in this thread.

On the acrylic, how about eliminating the hanger and calling it a plant coaster.

Using the cotton for the pot holders with hanger (I like very much the way you did the hanger).

Looking at a site that has to do with Material Safety Data Sheets (manufacturers and buyers of materials have to document the 'ingredients' of everything they buy and sell for all sorts of reasons), it says that acrylic 'deforms' at 95C (203F) and melts at 130C (266F).

I've used acrylic for hot pads (for setting a hot dish on a table), they have never turned to molten goo but is certainly 'deformed' after a short time. My cotton ones may be a bit stained after 30 years, but are otherwise holding up fine.

Ha ha, I like 'smooshed' better than deformed.

Another indicator of heat resistance... I was thinking about this when I had my steam iron out just now, the settings are (from cool to hot)

Acetate/Acrylic

Nylon/Silk

Polyester/Rayon

Cotton Blends [sTEAM]

Wools

Cotton

Linen

So, my iron doesn't even get hot enough to make steam (212F+) until somewhere way past Acrylic.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

How many dishcloth does one ball of Peaches 'n Creme create? I got two balls of different colors and I am about to make some dishcloths...dishrags...kitchen cloths...etc.

There are so many patterns available. The free pattern behind the Peaches 'n Creme label does not appeal to me after a few rows. So, I'd like to know the top 3 patterns, in your opinion, that is the most appealing to the customers when selling. Perhaps something unique? I'd prefer a pattern from Start to Finish without cutting and changing yarns. And, if possible, the current prices. I know a Vendor selling at $2 each or 3 for $5. Considering that Peaches 'n Creme costs $1.77 per ball, which is about 95 yards, that is not much profit....if one cloth takes a whole ball. I may want to try Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton just over $3 a bundle for 3x the amount, around that.

Thought I'd say this, crocheting with 100% Cotton feels so much better than Acrylic. I can't believe that Acrylic is Plastic. :-O I've spent countless hours figuring and feeling how the heck plastic can feel and look so much like real yarn. OMG! Lots of people out there most likely do not know this info....LOL!!! I first learned when joining this forum. What a shocking discovery.

Okay, back to topic of cloths.

there are dozens if not hundreds of patterns on http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com and free and pay for patterns on http://www.ravelry.com and etsy to for that matter.

I love this cotton has a lot more on a skeins, but it is a lighter weight cotton as well so it is going to take more to make a dish cloth.

As to how much yarn it will totally depend on the pattern. Find a pattern you like and hook it up

Also depends on how large you make the dishcloths. I don't like to make them big because they stretch when wet - I prefer to make them around 8 inches or so. I also prefer to knit them, but that is another story.

You are too hung up on acrylic being plastic. :lol Surely you have acrylic clothes - do they feel like plastic?

FrLopLady, I think these two are the best and I'm going to try making them.

http://www.bestfreecrochet.com/free-crochet-pattern/27-ocean-waves-crochet-dishcloth/

http://www.bestfreecrochet.com/free-crochet-pattern/151-ocean-weave-crochet-dishcloth-maggie-weldon-maggies-crochet/

Is there anyone living in OKC or surrounding cities? Any meetup? It would be nice to get together with someone and learn new codes or whatever its called.

I went to Hobby Lobby to find a dark contrasting color of Peaches 'n Creme, but no luck. I did find one of Sugar 'n Cream, so I am going to finish a large Dishcloth (its more of a medium towel). This is a practice (first time) and I'm going to give it to my aunt along with a leftover possibly enough to make a small Dishcloth, too.

I Love This Cotton! is on sale for $2.66! I got 3 different color themes. The yarn feels the same as Peaches 'n Creme and Sugar 'n Cream. There are more colors variety.

I'm going to make a set... 2 small Dishcloths, 1 large Dishcloth or medium Towel, and 1 regular/large towel with Towel Ring (pattern on here). I bought a pack of 5 plastic 2" rings. There wasn't any bigger, so I hope the hole is big enough for the towel, because crocheting over the ring will make the hole a lil bit smaller.

How do you know which side is right or wrong? A pattern is telling me specifically a side, but I'm not sure. Or it doesn't matter?

You are too hung up on acrylic being plastic. Surely you have acrylic clothes - do they feel like plastic?

The point being made was that acrylic can at worst melt, and at best will be guaranteed to look bad, after exposure to oven-hot dishes. Since he is selling his hot pads he could be open to legal issues if someone is hurt, or get returns from unsatisfied customers, if he doesn't identify his acrylic hotpads 'not for oven use' etc. Has nothing to do with how it looks or feels.

Thunder, you mentioned towel ring, it seems to me that I've seen patterns for towel toppers that are just the toppers, with a crocheted ring (no plastic inside) so you can make the ring bigger. I'll do some looking. Edit, fyi below.

http://cocoacream.wordpress.com/pattern-place/basic-towel-ring/ no plastic ring

http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Kitchen/Basic%20Gripper%20Towel%20Ring.pdf this uses 2 plastic rings, 2"

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2327 topper that holds separate towel, you need to register for Bernat site (free) (no plastic ring

As far as right/wrong side, some patterns will tell you as you start or finish a row that it is to be considered the right side, because you will need to know for a future step. When they do, I put a safety pin or something to mark the right side. Usually this is because there is some shaping involved, not for looks.

I'm going to do one with the plastic ring, because I want it to stay firm. I made one without a plastic ring and it gets stretchy.

http://www.bestfreecrochet.com/free-crochet-pattern/151-ocean-weave-crochet-dishcloth-maggie-weldon-maggies-crochet/

In that pattern, I completed the main part, but I'm stuck at making strips, because it keep saying right side and right sides everywhere. Am I to make the strips first then weave them in, or make the strips within the main part, or what? I just don't know what to do with the right side and right sides. I keep looking at everything and it all look the same to me.

And it says 4 long strips and 4 short strips. I'm looking at the dishcloth and I don't see how there are 4 long and 4 short when its perfectly a square and should be 8 of same size...

That is a cool wash cloth. I like vintage looking things.

You make the wash cloth 'base' first; it defines the first row as the right side, although if you've finished it and can't tell the difference, (since it's rows of dc it shouldn't matter)pick the side you want to be the right side.

You make all the little strips separately. These are just 1 row, so there would be a right and wrong side. In crochet, the top 'v' of the stitch faces ever so slightly toward you in the row you're working on, which would normally be the 'right' side for a 1 row item. (I'm not sure if this works for left handers). Whichever, pick a consistent appearing right side for all of the strips.

Now, the right side starts to matter, because you will weave the strips over the washcloth, with the strips primarily covering the right side of the cloth.

I have an issue with the language of this pattern, it says 'with right sides facing'. NORMALLY this means 'with right sides facing EACH OTHER', but in this case it means facing you, or facing front. Pretty side forward, all facing the same way.

After weaving, all is joined around the edging, the strips' edges are captured in the edging stitches.

The point being made was that acrylic can at worst melt, and at best will be guaranteed to look bad, after exposure to oven-hot dishes. Since he is selling his hot pads he could be open to legal issues if someone is hurt, or get returns from unsatisfied customers, if he doesn't identify his acrylic hotpads 'not for oven use' etc. Has nothing to do with how it looks or feels.

oh goodness, you completely misunderstood what I was saying - I was referring to his feeling of the yarn and finding it hard to understand it was plastic.

Certainly the point has been made, and made, about acrylic not being suitable for exposure to heat, as you state above. I think he gets it.

I have a very heavy and thick blanket being acrylic. Its super soft..oh gawd, so rare for a blanket to be so, so soft. And its acrylic! I can't believe how plastic can be this way! :-O ... And it could be my death cocoon if a fire should happen while I sleep...

Archived