Any ideas for a one handed amputee?

Aussie_Paula

Question

I am starting a crochet class on Thursday and one of the students had her arm amputated at the elbow. I have thought of using a tunisan hook that she can clamp between her knees and use as a normal hook. I would appreciate any other ideas that could make learning easier for her?

6 answers to this question

It depends--does she still have her dominant hand? Is her dexterity in it normal? Does she have any kind of prosthesis yet? She may have her own ideas and suggestions on how to adapt the process, especially if she's not a recent amputee.

If she can lay the work on her thigh and hold it with her prosthesis or her stump, allowing the yarn to move under the hold, she can use the other hand to crochet normally. (I don't wrap yarn around my hand, and I have both of mine; the tension comes from the yarn running between my left-hand fingers and the work.) I have also seen a woman with a problematic hand (can't recall whether her problem was severe arthritis or a stroke) who used her disabled hand as a weight only and managed the yarn much as an "English" knitter does.

By the way, speaking of knitting--it's actually easier to knit one-handed than crochet! There are several knitting styles involving the use of a longer than normal needle held under the upper arm. I'm a big believer in the theory that most crafts are possible for nearly everyone if you just find the right way of going about them.

I don't have any suggestions, but rather a request. Would you please tell her that I admire the fact that she is not allowing her disability to keep her from wanting to do things in her life. All to often I see the negative effects of this type of thing and it's heartwarming to know there are strong willed, positive individuals out there! Kudos to her!

What a great question - it brought back a lot of inspiration from my dad and allowed me to experience something new :)

Not sure a 16 minute video is what you expected in answering this question, but it was interesting and inspiring (and I think I'll go get my hair taken care of now LOL)

http://crochet-with-cris.blogspot.com/2011/11/remembering-my-dad-and-one-handed.html

Cris your video is wonderful! I really hope that Aussie finds your post and takes the time to watch the video. You made it possible.

Its people like you and you dad that keep inspiration alive for those who are seeking it!

~~smiles, Monica

have to get the hang of posting and messaging down...lol Anyway...

Thank you for posting the video you did, for taking the time to find a way to help someone determined to do something no matter what.

It's people like you that keep inspiration alive for those seeking it and desperately needed it.

~~smiles. Monica

Archived