Skoggy

C'ville.co.uk?

Hi Amy and Donna,

I was just wondering if you'd give any thought to having a C'ville for the UK? I reckon it would be a hit. As nearly everything here is in US terminology, having a UK site would be purely for UK terms. It could also mean CAL and swaps in the UK, meets, etc. The possibilities would be just as endless as they are for this wonderful site, just with a whole new audience and everything from the other side of the Atlantic. Something else to come under the giant C'ville umbrella :D

Personally I think it would be a great idea and would be willing to help in anyway I can. :yes

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm really not sure how that idea would work in practical terms, though.

In order for a message board site like Crochetville to work, you really have to have a lot of people actively participating on the site. It takes a lot of time and effort to promote a site, have enough people find it, and get it to a point where there is a lot of posting activity.

Donna and I are currently working on a lot of plans for improving Crochetville and adding new functionality. I don't think either of us have the time to devote to building and growing a duplicate site right now.

Are there things we could do right here that would be helpful/useful to people outside the United States? Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas.

Why not Crochetville.eu? Or have co.uk open to all of Europe?

Hej Flia! :hi Hur är det?

C'ville EU would be a cool idea as well.

Maybe, you could have a European sub-forum. A place where we can do swaps, CALs, organise various EU and UK stuff. I think that the key to opening up C'ville to a larger EU membership is to make an area for it. As I already stated, in my opinion, C'ville is very much US (which, I might add is huge and fantastic. I really to loved it here as it is) but maybe worth a little push forward would be for this sub-area. At the moment, I am a stay at home mamma so I have time on my hands when my daughter is asleep, I would gladly scour the internet and get the word out of an EU bit on C'ville (starting with UK and EU crochet groups on Ravelry ofcourse :) )

I agree about starting a new sister site would be a HUGE amount of work (from work side of things, I used to work on web-design and databases for the military... I know web work can be hard going :) ) and the promotion and getting a base membership of people would be very hard. Incorporating this new idea into the exist format would be a much better way of doing it. There are already EU people on here, many from the UK, Scandinavia, Poland... to name a few. I think its a good start.

What do you think? Sub-forum could be the way to go? As I said, I'll help with what I can to get things moving if you want me to. :)

Perhaps a section on UK patterns and stitches?

That's what I was going to say.

You could add the swaps/exchanges under that heading, too. And maybe another in the same area for Aussie swaps.

Is there a reason why we need separate swaps just for people outside the United States? All our current swaps are open to everyone, regardless of location. We like to be inclusive, not exclusive.

Is it cheaper to ship within-EU, just like it's cheaper to ship within-US? Which would mean non-US people aren't likely to participate in our regular swaps, but would participate in swaps with an outside-the-US focus?

I'm not sure I really understand yet what everyone wants to do in these sub-forums that can't already be done in existing areas of Crochetville. I'm in the midst of a very stressful situation with a local nonprofit group, so it's probably just that my brain is a little fried right now and I'm not seeing things the way you all do them.

So keep explaining all the different things you want to do in regional subforums, and why it would be better to do those things there than in existing areas of Crochetville. (Maybe it's as simple as that you're all feeling it's hard to find each other since our membership is primarily located in the US.) Oh, and why some things would be better done with members in nearby geographical proximity to you and not with everyone in the forum, if that applies.

Eventually your words and meanings will sink into my poor tired little brain! :)

Honestly I don't know. I'm just guessing it's cheaper to ship "in house" same as it is for US. Someone who lives overseas would have to answer that.

Other than the cheaper issue and the terms, I don't see a need either. I was just trying to be helpful.

:)

I'm sorry about your issue and hope it gets resoved quickly to everyone's liking.

:hug

I'm sorry about your issue and hope it gets resoved quickly to everyone's liking.

:hug

Thanks for the support! The situation isn't about me, it's about someone else, but I still have to deal with and help manage a lot of the fallout.

Yes, shipping fees do vary... from what I've seen.

I just thought that it would nice to have a place to arrange UK / EU stuff thats all. I am in no way dissing C'Ville, please please please don't think that. I just thought it would be easier for people nearby to be able to find eachother and to co-ordinate events etc. with people in the same continent as is with the American stuff. Thats all. I'm sorry if my idea has caused any upset. It was just something that I've been thinking about and wondered if there were any others on here, who weren't American, that also thought it would be a good idea. As this sub-forum says, its for suggestions.

Sorry to hear about your currently situation Amy. I too hope it is resolved soon.

One of my friends from the US participated in several years ago and was surprised at the $50 cost of shipping overseas. That was the last swap she participated in. I have another friend who is overseas and doesn't really do too much with swaps because of the shipping costs.

Do we have enough European members for a Regional Forum? I really have no idea.

I really think we do, RoseRed. There are have been a few UK members who have signed up recently and I reckon that, with a cunning amount of promotion in various places, we can get that number up even further.

Re: shipping. I had an idea for a CAL which would then turn into a giveaway to a lucky person but, as I live in Sweden, the probability of someone in the US winning the giveaway is extremely high and the shipping for said completed item would be ridiculously high and leave me considerabley out of pocket. It's like the giveaways done on here now, sure I ask for my name to be entered but the cost of sending a tote (for example) would just be too unfair to the person giving away. As RoseRed has said, this shipping fee has made people rather inclined not to participate as they are not in the US.

If there would be a small community of EU/UK members, we can still comfortabley still participate in such things.

On most of the swaps that I've been in, they ask if you can ship overseas. If you are not in the US, why not list the country that you are in and ask if you can swap with some one in that country? If enough people in other countries participate, it could work. That way every one can join in the fun.

Just a thought.

I see your point cat3crazy, but what about being guaranteed to be able to participate in something as you are in the same country as a whole bunch of people rather than relying on a: whether or not someone in the US will ship or b: a couple of other people sign up to a thread.

Re: shipping. I had an idea for a CAL which would then turn into a giveaway to a lucky person but, as I live in Sweden, the probability of someone in the US winning the giveaway is extremely high and the shipping for said completed item would be ridiculously high and leave me considerabley out of pocket. It's like the giveaways done on here now, sure I ask for my name to be entered but the cost of sending a tote (for example) would just be too unfair to the person giving away. As RoseRed has said, this shipping fee has made people rather inclined not to participate as they are not in the US.

I completely see your point. I just had a contest on my blog that was only open to the US residents because of shipping costs. What will cost me $12 to ship in country would cost me at least $40 to ship overseas because of the weight.

I've stopped participating in swaps because of shipping costs. The last time someone sent something to me, it cost her about $40 to ship - she'd been willing to send overseas, but like most people had NO idea it was THAT expensive. :(:(:(

It's funny that you all apparently read my mind. Back in September, I asked the swap hostesses if they thought there'd be enough interest in a European and a Canadian swap. Or any other region, for that matter. So I've posted a general query for people interested in the Other Crochet forum. Please respond and let me know if there is interest in swaps limited to certain countries or geographical regions. If there, we'd be happy to host them in our regular Swap Forum. But be warned, I may enlist some of you to serve as hostesses, since your familiarity with your postal systems would be helpful.

I'd be interested. As of the end of January I will be living in the UK again as I'm moving my little family from Sweden to Newcastle. I will gladly help if needed as well :)