Bernat dog sweater pattern

newfies mom

I've started this project and it appears I may have miss understood directions on the Shaping Leg opening first side. I'm good till the first dc instructions the it states"5 (x-xx-xx) dc" (X's equal stitches for sizing purposes) dc. I'm understanding to dc 5 in the appropriate number per size?

I'm still kind of lost if you could review the pattern and maybe translate for me? I'm not that great at reading patterns being self taught some are still confusing. lol !!!!

I would recommend that you go to your local library and check out a crochet reference book. My #1 would be Crocheting in Plain English by M Righetti, because it has an excellent section on understanding patterns. Complete Photo Guide to Crochet is also very good, and it has some well written patterns to get you started. Patterns are written with a lot of shorthand and things are not always spelled out very clearly so you have to be able to interpret the meaning, and a reference book will help you learn to do that.

I am not sure what Bernat pattern you are using, but the one that shows a Schnauzer (?) in a striped sweater has a section that seems similar, under "shape leg opening". "1 dc in each of next 4 (7-11-15) dc." the numbers correspond to the sizes. the 4 is for the smallest size, the 7 is for the next size, 11 for the next size, 15 for the biggest size. ETA: this is telling how many dc to make.

then it says " 5 (8-12-16) dc." and this is giving you the sttich count for the row, again for each size. at the end of the previous row you did a chain 3 which counts as your first dc in this row.

The preceding parts of the pattern are set up the same way, with the numbers given for all of the sizes and stitch counts given every so often.

i know it says this is an "easy " pattern and it may be easy to do but the way it is written is not really the easiest to understand.

Archived