Simply soft

Hookthelook

I believe this is one of my favorite yarns. I just love how soft it is, it's soft enough for a baby but still sturdy enough for an adult. I'm actually working with it right now. <3 love it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am using Caron Simply Soft to make chemo caps. About 2 years ago I was gifted some Simply Soft. I had made some beanie caps with it. I still had some of these caps on hand when I began to lose my hair from chemo. I grabbed one to wear and fell in love with it. It did not weigh on my head which at the time my scalp was very tender. For as light weight as it was it still kept my balding head and later my bald head very warm. I now have a large selection of Simply Soft on hand to make my chemo caps. There are other yarns that I love and use for other projects but for my chemo caps Simply Soft is the best.

I don't like working with SS, but it is nice for baby items when you need colors other than the traditional pastels! I just finished a 12 point round ripple using SS for a friend's newborn, and it turned out lovely!

I think it's really soft yarn but I personally don't like working with it. I'm new to this crochet stuff and it's my least favorite yarn that I have used.

Some people don't like working with it because it splits. If you're having trouble with it try changing to a different brand of hook. If you use Boye try a Bates or vice versa. It's really amazing how the shape of the head can make different yarns easier to work with.

Some people don't like working with it because it splits. If you're having trouble with it try changing to a different brand of hook. If you use Boye try a Bates or vice versa. It's really amazing how the shape of the head can make different yarns easier to work with.

Thanks! And yep that's my problem. It tangles really easily too.

I made a scarf out of it but I used 2 different yarn colors at once (wanted a halloween scarf) and I made another scarf and I think I used a cheapie hook. One of those plastic kinds that come in a multipack.

Last night I finished a hat and I had to use some black because I was running out of the main color yarn. I used a Boye hook and it wasn't too bad....

I was at JoAnns the other day and SS had the prettiest purple yarn. I hate working with it but I have a friend who lives in Scotland who loves purple so I might give it a shot. I suppose the end result makes it worth it.

Thanks! And yep that's my problem. It tangles really easily too.

I made a scarf out of it but I used 2 different yarn colors at once (wanted a halloween scarf) and I made another scarf and I think I used a cheapie hook. One of those plastic kinds that come in a multipack.

that's weird - I've never had SS tangle on me. Are you pulling it from the center or from the outside?

Do'nt know those cheapie plastic hooks! Well - ok - you can knock some of them but the Bates luxite hooks are awesome! (after you rub them down with wax paper)

• 2 weeks later...

I rather like working with it although it does split, but my shawls made from it start to look fairly ratty after a while. They seem to rub up into a halo with pills in it. The softness is still there, though. My other complaint is that I've gotten slightly different colors from this "No Dye Lot" yarn. This has caused problems from time to time.

I joke around that if you're going to give something made from Simply Soft to also give a 'sweater shaver'. They're relatively cheap and you can usually find them in or near the laundry aisle. It makes a world of difference after you 'shave it'. It looks new again.

Just a heads up in case you do the same thing: Off-White and Vanilla colors are very, very close!

I needed one more skein of Caron SS Off-White to finish something and popped into the store in a hurry. There was the bin (I thought) and I grabbed and ran. Once home, the label said "Vanilla", not Off-White. I laid the skein on my project and in the waning daylight and incandescent bulbs in this room, it looked perfect but wasn't actually. Thankfully, I did check the Caron site before breaking into the skein and found that they are two different colors. When I took the skein back today, even in the store lighting Vanilla is still so close to Off-White that somebody had tossed some skeins into the wrong bin, but with them side-by-side you can see that Vanilla is even yellower than Off-White.

They will mix fine if that is your intention but if you don't want two colors, you'd better check labels.

I had a short love affair with SS but I don't like it anymore at all. To me it makes toys too limp & it's splits like crazy no matter what hook I use. I love I Love This Yarn now & I still use a lot of Red Heart Super Saver for toys. I prefer RH for toys simply because it makes them sturdier & not all floppy :lol

Archived