How Many of You...

Nox

Can make your own yarn?

I've been toying with the idea of spinning yarn. However, I've got obstacles like no money and lack of time. I've watched what I could and read about it off and on.... My plan is dirt cheap: gonna rig up my own drop spindle and use whatever fiber I can get for free (mostly means dog hair). I'll have to wait for things to get better though.

I just think that learning how our medium (yarn) is made and where it comes from will bring me closer to the craft. There is something so primitive and wonderful about handspinning. I really like the idea. I feel a little guilty though because maybe I should learn to be better at crocheting itself before taking on a new challenge like this. Also, do you think some of the dog groomers here locally would give me their clippings? I'm sure they just throw them away or something... Maybe they'd have to get permission from the owners first.

Thanks for reading!

I dont make my yarn but... I am a dog groomer and most of the time yes we will gladly bag it up for you to take away. I would however ask if they can keep it clean though away from the dirty hair we have some that come in and shave the hair off first cause its dirty or what not but some we put in the tub and clean before we take hair out or off I do have a client that uses dog hair to knit. We don't need/use it for anything it just gets swept up and tossed out so yes call your groomer

The closest I've gotten to "making" my own yarn is reclaiming yarn from deconstructed garments, a sweater, to be exact. I've braided cords into belts/sashes/emergency clotheslines and the usual improvisational things, but I haven't done any spinning.

There's a forum here at Crochetville for spinning at http://www.crochetville.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45 Maybe there are some spinning crocheters with hints on dog-hair yarn or cat-hair yarn. Yes, groomers also groom cats! I've worked at two grooming shops, and both shops worked with cats as well as dogs.

If there's a club near you for a long-haired dog breed, it might be helpful to get to know some people in the club and *then* ask them to save up clean, brushed undercoat in plastic bags for you to spin. I have Bernese Mountain Dogs, and you just wouldn't believe how much...ah...generosity these doggies have regarding their fur and undercoat! Other "generous" breeds which produce a goodly amount per dog--but by no means the only breeds--are Golden Retrievers (the yellow Retrievers, not so much the red ones), Great Pyrenees, Tibetan Mastiffs, Newfoundlands/Landseers, Keeshonds, and maybe the Northern dogs (Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, Samoyeds) but I'm not sure whether their hair has enough crimp to spin. Find clubs affiliated with the AKC by looking through the AKC's website: http://akc.org .

If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend Respect the Spindle: Spin Infinite Yarns with One Amazing Tool, by Abby Franquemont (2009). It may be available through your local public library (free!) so that you can read it and decide whether or not you need your own copy available at all times. If so, there are online sources for less than the full retail price ($22.95 printed on the back cover).

Enjoy! :)

DCM

• 1 month later...

I don't make my own, but have recycled yarn and try to use what I have down to the last piece. I have seen it done and certainly can admire the product that has had so much work and dedication put into it. But that is not representative of the commercially made products that we can purchase at cheaper prices.

I guess it depends upon how green and creative your budget will allow you to be...

I have had cats and dogs and quite frankly I am not sure I would want a dog or cat hair sweater...

Archived