Storing your patterns?

I initially was making paper copies of all the patterns I really liked and keeping them in binders and/or file folders. Then I decided that was really getting wasteful as I could never use all of the patterns I was printing out. So, now I pretty much only print a pattern when I am using it. Other than that, I keep them in "file folders" on my computer and I do back up my files. I was backing up to an external hard drive automatically, but I have been just backing up my document and photo files on jump drives lately. It is quick & easy to do. I still have the external hard drive backed up but its not hooked up for automatic back up like it was. Just a logistics move which I need to get back to, but until then the jump drives are handy.

When I make a paper copy to use for a project, I do put it in a document protector sleeve and then add it to my file drawer when I'm done.

yes, exactly. if I print or copy and paste, it's for personal use only. I will copy the link info as well, for reference...if it doesn't disappear, of course.

I forgot to add that. How else can you go back to the original?

I initially was making paper copies of all the patterns I really liked and keeping them in binders and/or file folders. Then I decided that was really getting wasteful as I could never use all of the patterns I was printing out. So, now I pretty much only print a pattern when I am using it. Other than that, I keep them in "file folders" on my computer and I do back up my files. I was backing up to an external hard drive automatically, but I have been just backing up my document and photo files on jump drives lately. It is quick & easy to do. I still have the external hard drive backed up but its not hooked up for automatic back up like it was. Just a logistics move which I need to get back to, but until then the jump drives are handy.

When I make a paper copy to use for a project, I do put it in a document protector sleeve and then add it to my file drawer when I'm done.

I have tons of printed patterns from several years ago that I know I'm never going to make. When I realized how much ink I was going thru was when i went digital unless it's beyond amazing or about to be worked on.

I keep it all in my "Hooks" folder on my drive. I do divide them into categories - it can be a challenge though - is a baby blankie in 'babes and kids" or blankies" :?:rofl

I do have 2 computers and an external drive as well as several thumb drives. I even have some CD's hanging around from when they were the favoured sons.

I lost all of my "clip art" folders which included several (thousands) of crochet pics and patterns.

has anyone else noticed that the current Firefox browsers don't allow you to have bookmarks anymore? With ff 4 they made it very hard to do them and now it just can't be done. Although that might be because of Win7 :P

I print mine on paper but just my very favorite patterns and make a cover of some pretty

paper use a 2hole perforator and add ribbon to keep it together

Oh my! I have alot of patterns. Some on disc, some on my hard drive, some loose in bags with projects (not even related to the project). I have some sorted by types; i.e., blankets, sweaters, scarves, washcloths, etc., and in a square wicker box that I got at AC Moores, and some in a rubbermaid tub. Oh, don't forget the magazines, they are basically in a rubbermaid tub or on a bookshelf, and some in several different bags with projects, etc. I'm terrible when it comes to organizing my stuff. That's on my "to do" list.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep all my patterns on my computer... since that is where I have found most of them.

There is a free program called ...Cute PDF...it will save any webpage as a Pdf file. It's very easy to use.. once you are on a webpage with the pattern... click "Print" .. when the popup appears make sure Cute Pdf is the Name of the printer... and save it.

I also keep a copy of all my patterns on my smartphone.. in the cloud. I use DROPBOX. That way I have all my patterns on the go and can refer to them without sitting in front of the computer. I even bought a cellphone cover with a kickstand for the purpose of reading patterns on my phone... I'm such a nerd!!...lol

• 2 months later...

before my iphone, I had most of my patterns printed and in binders. I wanted to get a tablet that I could use to read the patterns instead of printing them and saving them ina binder. When I got my iphone I was able to get an app that read pds and you can even add comments. All my newer patterns are now on my google docs account and I can acces them from my iphone whenever I want.

• 1 year later...

I tend to be a binder person with computer back up. I have lost more than one computer and as a result don't like depending soley on the computer for my patterns. One of my motivations for starting my craft blog was to save the links I would want for later. I have gone back and printed copies of patterns I lost. That is not always a great solution as sites do disappear or people remove patterns. So I am thinking about a better backup storage for computer storage of patterns.

I (or rather, my hubby) bought a Hitachi to store my info on.  That's the brand name of it, but it is a storage unit for a computer that is separate from the computer.  I think it might be called an external hard drive???  Since I'm not not computer savvy, I really don't know what the correct name is for it!!  Mine has a very large storage limit, and I've saved literally 1000's of patterns, pictures, articles and other things on mine!

I do not trust computers (I've had one too many computers crash over the years) so I print as soon as I download a pattern, slip it in a plastic sleeve, and put it into a binder. I like to keep a "hard copy" of things when I can, because the computer can crash and beyond that, web sites are not forever. Or a designer may decide a particular pattern is not doing so well and is not worth leaving up anymore so they remove it, or any number of things can happen that take away your access to a pattern. If you've already safely stored a printed copy then you're all set.  :yes

I (or rather, my hubby) bought a Hitachi to store my info on.  That's the brand name of it, but it is a storage unit for a computer that is separate from the computer.  I think it might be called an external hard drive???  Since I'm not not computer savvy, I really don't know what the correct name is for it!!  Mine has a very large storage limit, and I've saved literally 1000's of patterns, pictures, articles and other things on mine!

I have an external hard drive my aunt bought for me as a graduation gift when I completed my schooling. I love it, however they can crash too. They are basically the same thing that is inside your computer, just made as an external unit for easy portability. They're every bit as susceptible to crashes, viruses and such as the internal hard drive in the computer. 

I try not to have many patterns now. I have four or five books, a few patterns I have removed from discarded books, a few I have printed out.  I keep all of this in a storage box scrapbooking type storage box. I also queue patterns in Ravelry, just to remember them and keep my paper clutter down.

I tend to use the same patterns repeatedly, so I have a journal I named "Patterns That Work." When I have made a pattern and really like it, I write it out there in easy to read (for me), sometimes simplified format, adding charts and notes. If the apartment is burning down, I'll abandon the box, but grab my journal. Those are the only ones I would really miss.

I don't have any crochet patterns to store just a few notes for each item I make for future reference in my little Black Book.  This is because I only crochet my own designs, well not until last week

An elderly lady dropped a bag off at my house it contained some yarn, hooks, knitting needles and crochet/knitting and cross stitch patterns torn from magazines.  So I've put them into folders and will pass them on to other people.

Archived