Crochet vs. Knit Rant

Recently while flipping through an Avon catalog, I noticed some cute little Christmas sweater ornaments that were obviously crocheted. However, they were listed as 'knitted' sweaters. I often see crochet items in catalogs/magazines referred to as 'knitted'. Since there are so few crocheted items, would it be asking too much to get it right? Just irritates me. Anyone else notice this?

charkitty

Recently while flipping through an Avon catalog, I noticed some cute little Christmas sweater ornaments that were obviously crocheted. However, they were listed as 'knitted' sweaters. I often see crochet items in catalogs/magazines referred to as 'knitted'. Since there are so few crocheted items, would it be asking too much to get it right? Just irritates me. Anyone else notice this?

charkitty

I'm an Avon Rep and noticed that immediately. I sent customer service an e-mail about it- haven't heard back from them yet. I let you know what the say when and if I get a response from them.

Just got an email back from Avon customer service. All they said was that they will pass my comments on to management and they are always glad to get feedback from representatives. Sounded like an automated response to me.

I feel like "knit" is the word people know. Not many people know the word "crochet." So when people see something made out of yarn, they automatically assume that it was knitted. It is frustrating, because we all know better, but most people don't.

Yes but when crochet is cool they say it's crocheted when it's clearly knit lol I understand why people would confuse them but when you're selling the item you should know what it is. It think that's what frustrates me. I've gotten so used to people ask me if I'm knitting or call my crocheted things knitted it's no big deal anymore. I had my Husband trained so well that when I learned to knit he said I thought thiis was a knit free home lol

Oh girl don't even get me started!!! I can't stand it when ppl come over to the house and see me crocheting and they will say what are you knitting now Ashley! GET IT RIGHT PPL CROCHETING ONE HOOK! KNITTING IS WITH 2! OH AND FYI IT LOOKS DIFFERENT!

Many people honestly don't know the difference. People who crochet or

knit know, but there is a great deal of ignorance out there. Its the same with knitters who say things made on a knitting machine are not considered hand made by many. My 90 year old uncle once said he did

care if we used one or two sticks to make a hat as long as it was warm.

I think that many people feel that way.

Many people honestly don't know the difference. People who crochet or

knit know, but there is a great deal of ignorance out there. Its the same with knitters who say things made on a knitting machine are not considered hand made by many. My 90 year old uncle once said he did

care if we used one or two sticks to make a hat as long as it was warm.

I think that many people feel that way.

Hah I love it :D

I notice it all of the time and I want to yell! lol. I don't because I understand people who don't know it don't really know much about it.

My mom always tells people I knit! Not cool! Lol. Doesn't bother me

To help with the confusion any more, there are some countries where there is just one word for anything made using yarn and sticks or a hook: the word is usually translated as knitting. They don't really distinguish a difference between the two. All yarn crafts are considered good and wonderful.

To help with the confusion any more, there are some countries where there is just one word for anything made using yarn and sticks or a hook: the word is usually translated as knitting. They don't really distinguish a difference between the two. All yarn crafts are considered good and wonderful.

Interesting- I never knew that. Since Avon is sold in many countries; that could be an explanation for them calling crocheted sweater ornaments knitted.

It used to annoy me until I realized that it's just not worth getting upset about. I've come across a bunch of different 'reasons'. Some people had grandmother's that knitted and it's the only word they know. Others just don't know the difference. I'm actually surprised when someone knows it's crocheting.

I've had some lovely conversations talking to people about the difference between knit and crochet. I had a beautiful conversation with an older gentleman in a doctor's office waiting room. He knew it was crochet and it sparked a trip down memory lane of him remembering his grandmother teaching him when he was a little boy.

Instead of getting mad you can try considering it a way of sharing in the craft that we love and gently educating people at the same time. You never know when a stranger may pick up a hook because of something you've said to them.

As far as calling QVC - why don't ya? Really, what's the worst that's going to happen?

I think it irritates me because they assume they know what I'm doing. If someone asked, instead of assuming, I'd be glad to explain. Also, knitting kind of irritates me because everytime I see a pattern I love, it's knit not crocheted. I once tried to learn how to knit, and was doing fine. I came to the conclusion, though, that I have books full of crochet patterns I haven't got to, so once I get that all done I will take up knitting.

I'm an Avon Rep and noticed that immediately. I sent customer service an e-mail about it- haven't heard back from them yet. I let you know what the say when and if I get a response from them.

Just got an email back from Avon customer service. All they said was that they will pass my comments on to management and they are always glad to get feedback from representatives. Sounded like an automated response to me.

As a fellow Avon rep (hence my name Avon Lady:lol), I saw that right away, and also emailed customer service about it! Got the same response! Let's hope there is a live person behind that automated response!!!

Collette

MY OWN HUBBY DID THAT TO ME THE OTHER DAY........I'M CROCHETING SLIPPERS AND HE SAY'S, "WHAT ARE YOU KNITTING"? I JUST LOOKED AT HIM AND SAID, "SLIPPERS"!!! :lol :lol And I know he knows the difference, because I do both, knit and crochet!! :lol :lol

MY OWN HUBBY DID THAT TO ME THE OTHER DAY........I'M CROCHETING SLIPPERS AND HE SAY'S, "WHAT ARE YOU KNITTING"? I JUST LOOKED AT HIM AND SAID, "SLIPPERS"!!! :lol :lol And I know he knows the difference, because I do both, knit and crochet!! :lol :lol

Hah sounds like something my hubby would do just to be a goof. :D

I notice it a lot too but it doesn't bother me. I think in some parts they refer to both knitting and crochet as knitting. No big deal, just words to me. I look at it like this: no one is doing it maliciously. They do not intend to cause anyone irritation or annoyance. I have the choice whether to let it annoy me or not. Similarly, I have yorkies and some people get really hot about people calling them Teacup yorkies. I know there are no teacup yorkies and never call mine that, but I don't get bent out of shape when someone asks if mine are. I just say, they are small but there are no official "teacups" in the yorkie breed. But I do understand you getting annoyed because some days things of much less importance than knitting vs crocheting might annoy me too. Just one of those instances of what "trips your trigger" I guess. Try not to get too mad about it though. Life is short and there is just too little time to waste being irritated. :)

Been trying to hold back on this thread, but just have to say something. There is a wonderful (knitting) writer named Stephanie Pearl McPhee, whose seventh--I think--book has just been released. Stephanie lives in Toronto, Ontario, and uses public transportation to get around that wonderful city.

Her blog entry here recounts a surreal experience she had on the bus with a woman and the woman's son, wherein crochet and knitting got confused with one another. (The comments from her readers are pretty good, too!)

So it's not just us; it happens to Big Names, too! *sigh*

DCM

Archived