Graph making

karens007

Question

I know this is an old question and I have gone through a lot of the questions and answers here. I am trying to get a program I can use to make graphs for free. I went and got the knit pro and tried all kind of ways and couldn't open the finished graph. It had a weird file extension and everything I downloaded to try and open it didn't work. Is there anyone who can lead in me in the correct direction or explain what I am doing wrong.

Thank you Karen

9 answers to this question

It appears that knit pro saves as a pdf file. If you have acrobat reader on your computer it should open it ok.

Just tried it and had no problem with that..but I did have problems with my picture file not going through :D

It appears that knit pro saves as a pdf file. If you have acrobat reader on your computer it should open it ok.

Just tried it and had no problem with that..but I did have problems with my picture file not going through :D

Absolutely correct. .pdf files are opened through Acrobat Reader, which is a free download. The original free version will open just about all pdf files. But to make changes or upload your own pdf can only be done with version 8.0 or higher. At least that has been my experience...:D

First step is to choose your image. In this case, a duck.

post-52274-135897702528_thumb.jpg

Insert the picture into excel. I set the column width and row height to be square. Then I set the borders on the cells to be a dark orange color - since that would show up well. Every fifth line I set to be dark red so I could count the larger areas faster.

I like using excel, because you can adjust the size of the picture and how many stitches you need to get the detail you want.

post-52274-135897702533_thumb.jpg

Print it.

post-52274-135897702535_thumb.jpg

Now comes the fun part. Translating the picture to an actual graph. I use the initial of what color the square is going to be - g=green, y=yellow, etc. Using a pencil on the picture to sort of square off the image is very helpful.

post-52274-135897702536_thumb.jpg

Once the graph is filled in with the initials of the colors, I like to go in and color the squares. With excel, you can "fill" the squares with color. I use a paler version of whatever color the stitch is going to be. A pale yellow for the bright yellow duck, grey for the black border (that I'm actually stitching in grey because I liked the way it looked).

This is a good time to see if the image lives up to what you want it to be. You can make any adjustments at this time also. I ended up rounding the duck's tail and head a bit more because it looked too square. I also made the bill a little bit bigger and added a cattail.

post-52274-135897702538_thumb.jpg

Print your finished graph and you are ready to crochet.

post-52274-135897702539_thumb.jpg

I use half double crochets when I do charted afghans because it is a nice even square stitch. I am actually working on this particular charted afghan right now.

It can be a bit time consuming, but it lets me chart pretty much anything I want. I did a school logo for my nephew's high school football team, this duckie, and a Pepe Le Pew and Penelope chart for my sister.

Archived