CELEBRATION: I Love Yarn Day--October 14, 2011--Here--Party--Giveaways--CAL

Amy

Wow. I had to leave for a bit and a lot has happened since I left! Lol.

My favorite pattern so far would have to be the crochet entrelac pattern on YouTube for an afghan. I just LOVE that technique. Someday I'm gonna have the perdiest pair of entrelac socks in red and black!

Never used any hook besides Boye....

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finished my hat finally, lol. I put it on completely happy with how it turned out, and then my 17 yo son says, "Mom, you are not a hat person" Gotta love his honesty, lol! So, I don't look like a fashion model in the hat (or in anything else) but it isn't the hats fault <grin>

I wish I were a hat person...my head is a wee bit big but it's the hair!!! really thick. If I try a hat on in a store....it doesn't fit....ever!!! I do have some hats for winter but sadly I know I don't make a fashion model for the hats. But, if I don't look in a mirror it makes me happy :D

I never really noticed a difference between Boye and Bates until recently when I kept catching my Boye F hook and realized there was a difference between my F hooks. The Bates doesn't seem to catch as frequently. My older Boye hooks that my Aunt gave me don't seem to have this problem.

I have just started using the Bates Bamboo and like them. I also like the solid wood hooks and the way they slide through my hands. I tried the Clover soft touch but I found they were short and they bent. I realized I can't use a plastic hook when I crochet my ami's. I haven't tried the Etimo hooks, but when I have a coupon I may try out the brand. I am looking for some alternatives. As for size not attached to any size. I go with what I need for the project. I tend to range between E-H for most of my projects. Some of the doll projects require smaller hooks and I use larger hooks for others. I can't say I'm attached. I do prefer not having to go to the steel small hooks.

I love Darski's We Gather Together pattern for the 18" dolls. I have been able to adapt this and make all kinds of different holiday dolls for the doll lovers on my list.

There is a RR in "B" is for Baby that has been my go to baby blanket pattern.

Gourmet Crochet has my favorite dinos and monsters.

My favorite pattern has been a dress made for a teddy bear in the Crochet World magazine. With just a few changes, it makes wonderful dresses for American Girl Dolls. When all the kids were little, they all had AG dolls, and I made everyone dresses for Christmas.

:manyheart

New discussion topic: What is your favorite pattern that you've ever made? How many times have you made something using that pattern?

All around: shells, shells and more shells. I've made so many things with shells over the years :)

specifically though I've made a few blankets and these little doll pot holders with a pattern my grandma called snapdragon. it's just a simple v-stitch in dc

shells and snapdragons are a fav bc i can crochet wo looking at what I'm doing :)

<snip>

I tried the Clover soft touch but I found they were short and they bent.

</ snip>

I wonder if your hook was defective then, because I use my G for ami all the time and it NEVER bends. I haven't bought the F yet, but its next on my list.

I think the only thing I've really ever made more than once, with the exception of a dc beanie, was a purse from Drops..

Here's the Ravelry link to it: Clicky

I made 3 or 4 of those last spring. They worked up really fast and I changed up the width or height for the preference of the receiver.

I think I might make one of these....actually I'm pretty sure I will :) thanks

Am I bad if I say I can't wait for this day to be over so I can actually get something done :lol:lol

shame shame ;)

I wonder if your hook was defective then, because I use my G for ami all the time and it NEVER bends. I haven't bought the F yet, but its next on my list.

I don't know. If it didn't feel like it was too short, I might try another, but for the money I prefer the Bates Bamboo or the metal ones I already have. I have not tried the Etimo, but I may experiment with one when I have an order to place and a coupon. I would like to find something with a softer hold.

I think it is a matter of preference. It's great that they work for some and that there are options out there.

What is your favorite hook brand and size of all time, and why? I'll give you my answer when I get back. :hook

Brand: Boye - for both Aluminum and Steel. As for size - H and I for Aluminum and 6 and 7 for Steel.

I like the way Boye feels in my hand over the Susan Bates. The sizes are what I use most. My steel hook in size 6 is actually turning black from all the use I put it through. :D

Apparently my mother liked Boye products too as all the knitting needles I inherited from her when she passed in 2005 were from Boye.

So, I guess it runs in the family. :hook:knit

I had only ever used Boye Hooks until I started swapping at the Ville .. I am addicted to swaps and have been gifted wonderful hooks and more so I have a rather extensive collection. Because it is a gift I don't get rid of and I have them all displayed in my "crochet hook holder" (aka a vintage pipe holder ) ;)

I wonder when Amy will announce the winners of the last one. Its been 40 minutes since it supposedly ended. Oh noes. I wonder if she's drowning in yarn. More likely iPhone 4S issues lol

I think I'm caught up again.

I don't think I have favorite brand of hook. I use a variety, mostly bates and boye, of hooks that were my grandmother's, great grandmother's and aunt's. I think the pattern that I've used the most is the bootie pattern I'm using right now, Leisure Arts Bootie Collection.

I wonder when Amy will announce the winners of the last one. Its been 40 minutes since it supposedly ended. Oh noes. I wonder if she's drowning in yarn. More likely iPhone 4S issues lol

I believe it's actually 20 minutes until it ends. I'm not so great with time conversions though :)

I believe it's actually 20 minutes until it ends. I'm not so great with time conversions though :)

I think it goes until 10:00 EDT. It's currently 10:42 EDT. I could be remembering the time frame wrong though. :lol I'm sure she'll get to us as soon as she's able! :yes

I think it goes until 10:00 EDT. It's currently 10:42 EDT. I could be remembering the time frame wrong though. :lol I'm sure she'll get to us as soon as she's able! :yes

Yep, it was supposed to be from 6:30 to 8:30 central time, and because it didn't open until 7, she extended the time until 9pm. I'm not worried, just impatient :D

Winners for giveaway 4:

1. All About Crochet: The Dictionary of Crochet Stitches and Techniques by Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss: campbd1

2. Annie's Hook and Needle Kit Club Felted Kitchen Helpers: larky

3. The Perfect Pillow pattern booklet by Mary Beth Temple, Susan Bates Split-Lock Stitch Count Markers and Susan Bates Steel Yarn Needles: lutherancrochetchic

4. 1 skein Berroco Weekend yarn and 1 size J Susan Bates Bamboo Handle Crochet Hook: Katchkan

Hi All! Happy I Love Yarn Day! It's been fun reading up on what you've all been making today. I have four current projects - none near finished. ;-)

My favorite hook has to be my Jimbo. It's a lovely walnut "H". When I use it it the yarn sort of floats over it.

warmest regards,

Archived