CELEBRATION: I Love Yarn Day--October 14, 2011--Here--Party--Giveaways--CAL

Amy

Gee, I wonder why you have a desire to crochet a cozy?:lol:lol Enjoy the wine!!

:devil

The wine is a red from a winery in French Lick, Indiana. It's good stuff. I haven't turned the TV on at all because I would start watching hockey and not be able to get crocheting done. I'm looking at cozy patterns now. I'm thinking of coming up with my own made out of sock yarn. I just want something that it's going to protect the kindle from being scratched up while in my purse.

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back. I'm sitting here eating a steak and cheese sandwich with spicy hot jalapenos, catching up on the thread.

My favorite hooks used to be Boye, because that's what I grew up using. Then I discovered the Tulip Etimo hooks, and those are now my absolute favorites.

I like working with lighter weight yarns for clothing. My favorite hook sizes are usually F, G, and H.

New discussion topic: What is your favorite pattern that you've ever made? How many times have you made something using that pattern?

Well, this is what my dd (Lil_Hippie) and I worked on all day... and YAY! it's done! :cheer This is a lapghan for my mom's birthday.

Lovely!:yay

This is me teasing you all with what I'm working on... LOL

So far...So good!:hook

[ATTACH]46487[/ATTACH]

:heart

:mug

Looks like something baby to me. :D

I finished something Yay :) I'm not sure about the button may change it to a flower instead. It's just my new hat pattern shrunk just FYI. Oh and it's a doll not a real baby laying on a dog crate :lol

Love the hat, and the doll sure had me fooled. Thought it was a real baby for sure. :clap :clap

Here is my project for the day! Three juggleng balls and a pouch.

My son is getting a unicycle for Christmas, so now he can learn to juggle too!

(The real miracle of this Christmas is that he is NOT getting any video games or anything that requires batteries or a plug! AMAZING!)

That's a nice looking set. :cheer :cheer

What is your favorite hook brand and size of all time, and why? I'll give you my answer when I get back. :hook

My favorite brand is Boye. Hands down my favorite. It's what I learned on and have used most. The Susan Bates ones just feel awkward in my hands. With WW yarn it's an I or a J, for bulky a P, for size 20 thread it's a size 7 steel hook, and with size 30 thread it's a 12, 13, or 14. I inherited all my grandmother's hooks and patterns when she could no longer crochet. She is the one who taught me. Some of them are older than I am. :D I treasure them and always think of her when I use them.

What I have been working on today !!

Very nice. :yay

Well got the second scarf done. :whew:dance

Tiffany thanks for offering it a home but it already has one. It goes to the Illinois special olympics.

The scarf I like it was the changing color every 5 inches that had me :thair.

Now do I start a third or pull out a UFO :think?

PS When I went searching for my 365 stiches... book I found 5 skiens of yarn stuck away with scrap material I had forgot about. All baby colors and textures - - maybe some hats??

Very pretty scarf and I can see why it was a pain to make. :lol Hooray for finding yarn you didn't know you had. :yay

Thanks for hosting, Amy. :manyheart

Back from my trek to Michael's and had fun buying 'free' yarn. Both of the gals that gave me the gift card commented on a scarf I had made, so guess what I'm going to be making? Yup, scarves for them!!!!:lol

New discussion topic: What is your favorite pattern that you've ever made? How many times have you made something using that pattern?

An old Red heart baby afghan pattern that looks like spider webs in a row, I call it a "Dream Catcher" and I've made so many for babies I can't count.

:devil

The wine is a red from a winery in French Lick, Indiana. It's good stuff. I haven't turned the TV on at all because I would start watching hockey and not be able to get crocheting done. I'm looking at cozy patterns now. I'm thinking of coming up with my own made out of sock yarn. I just want something that it's going to protect the kindle from being scratched up while in my purse.

I've always been concerned about fuzzy's on electronics--maybe sock yarn would be a good choice.

I've got the ball game (Brewers/Cards)on and just listening.(not my teams, so not a distraction:lol) I really do have to pull out the :hook and yarn now. Also think I may have a Pumpkin Spice Ale that I had bought when I was on vacation in Williamsburg. It's quite good!

AmyS

I used to have a pattern for a little thread bell that made a great Christmas ornament. I made hundreds of them. I used to sell them at craft shows regularly. It was my best seller.It has since dissappeared in one of our moves. I could probably sit down and do it yet if I just let my hand start working.

My favorite Pattern over all is

Hook Holder by Priscilla Hewitt

I have made more then 20 I have altered them to be Nook / Hook holders so you can have the nook in the front of the holder and "pages of hooks on the other side!!

My favorite Afghan Pattern is by Redheart Dusty Snowflake

I have made 5 total and may make another soon!

:hug

It's one of my Grandma's doily patterns. I've made over a dozen of them with no two coming out exactly the same because each one uses 1 - 3 colors of thread. I've only made one with the size 30 thread, but many with the size 20 thread. They are always pretty. I can't get them to pull up on my computer at the moment but will try again in a bit.

I think the only thing I've really ever made more than once, with the exception of a dc beanie, was a purse from Drops..

Here's the Ravelry link to it: Clicky

I made 3 or 4 of those last spring. They worked up really fast and I changed up the width or height for the preference of the receiver.

I have ordered from Deramores at least three times now and have never been charged a duty tax. When using a credit card, there is a small fee for the conversation rate - mine has never been more than $1-3 per order. I love the Stylecraft Special DK Yarn. It is so soft and nice to work with. They do not charge shipping to the USA. Takes about 10 working days to get my order to Ohio. At the bottom of their home page, click on the American flag and everything will then be in dollars for the prices. They have a sale of some sort going on now and if you use the code RAV2011 you will get 10% off - even on sale prices.

Thank you!! They have some very nice yarns and great prices for sure!

An old Red heart baby afghan pattern that looks like spider webs in a row, I call it a "Dream Catcher" and I've made so many for babies I can't count.

sounds beautiful, i will have to see if i can find it somewhere...:yay

I don't have a favorite pattern. I rarely make the same thing twice...I'm always looking for something new and different.

First I'd better answer the first discussion topic:lol

My favorite crochet hooks are the Susan Bates aluminum bamboo handle hooks. I have sizes from F through N. The ones I seem to use the most are G (for DK yarn) and H or I for Worsted.

Favorite pattern? The SBT (Stash Buster Tote pattern by Turtlvr. I've made 17 and have yarn for a few more!!! Second favorite, is the Shelly scarf pattern. It's easy, mindless and comes out great every time. I've made about a dozen of those. .Favorite afghan pattern--several- Flannelghan, large granny, round ripple and baby bubbles. I've made several of each. Also love the Granny Stripe blanket pattern

My favorite brand is Boye. Hands down my favorite. It's what I learned on and have used most. The Susan Bates ones just feel awkward in my hands. With WW yarn it's an I or a J, for bulky a P, for size 20 thread it's a size 7 steel hook, and with size 30 thread it's a 12, 13, or 14.

I was taught the very basics of crocheting by my grandma, when I was a young child. The rest has been self-taught, and I admit I am not a very good teacher! But reading all these hook replies... I think I might be using the wrong hook size! I always use WW, and generally Caron Simply Soft. But I never seem to crochet with a hook any higher than a G. I put a shell border on some fleece last night, and the tops of the shells curled over. I tried making my stitches looser, tighter, in betweener, and they still curled. Was my hook too small? Hmmm. That makes my brain churn with the possibilities!

I love champygirls butterfly bookmark pattern except I've never made the bookmark part. I've used it for appliques, gave some to a friend and she made hair clips for her kids. I had a few nice rainbow thread ones (profile pic) but my nieces claimed those and put them on some bags I made them. I've made quite a few for the holocaust butterfly project too. :)

Well, call me difficult, but I don't have a favorite hook or pattern. :shrug Aluminum wise, I use Susan Bates hooks most often. I started on Boye because that's what everyone in my family used, but I like the head on the Bates hooks better. Bamboo hooks, I haven't met one I don't like. I almost always use them for Tunisian short row work.

I rarely repeat a pattern. I have made a particular scarf pattern a few times though.

I was taught the very basics of crocheting by my grandma, when I was a young child. The rest has been self-taught, and I admit I am not a very good teacher! But reading all these hook replies... I think I might be using the wrong hook size! I always use WW, and generally Caron Simply Soft. But I never seem to crochet with a hook any higher than a G. I put a shell border on some fleece last night, and the tops of the shells curled over. I tried making my stitches looser, tighter, in betweener, and they still curled. Was my hook too small? Hmmm. That makes my brain churn with the possibilities!

I think it was :lol I crochet tight so I have to go up a hook size for almost everything.

Recently I've made about 10 of the post stich Beanie hat in the last issue of Crochet World thatI I got. My customers all seem to like it and its quick to make. I also have made more of my towel toppers (pattern is in my Ravelry shop) than I could count. Other favorite patterns are the stash buster tote and any round ripple afghan. I have lots of patterns that I keep going back to- it's hard to really pick a favorite.

Ladies:

You have all been so busy and sharing photos and chatting and its taken me for ever to catch up with you all...

I love everything every one is working on and I know you all having fun..

I'm leaving for now to go and sit and watch tv and crochet before i retire...

so you all have a great evening night and have fun as I too will be having fun

hugs

Lillbiet

ONE?! See, to me, hooks are like anything good.. and I can't ever stop at say.. one chip. Hence, I have a hoarded stash of hooks!

I used to have a hoarded stash...a long time ago, as I teach people I give them a hook or two and a book or two to get them started. I give them a book that has illustrated how-to stitch on one of the covers (seems I always have some just for that) I use a G pretty much as often as I can and always have.....I think the first patterns were G and I got stuck on it.

I didn't think I preferred any specific brand but as it turns out I have all boye except one bates afghan hook and a big plastic one that I don't know what it is. I think I need to resupply bc I don't have any duplicates (unless you count afghan hooks) and I don't even have an H..... :think Maybe next time I teach someone I'll take them to the store and buy them a hook or two instead :)

Archived