CELEBRATION: I Love Yarn Day--October 14, 2011--Here--Party--Giveaways--CAL

Amy

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone, Since late this afternoon I have been catching up on my reading of this thread. Two problems with that - haven't been crocheting just reading and haven't read all of the thread yet. Congratualtions to all of the winners today. I just loved looking at or hearing about what everyone was working on. Now I am getting very sleepy so I am heading to bed in a few minutes. I have a busy day tomorrow. We are having some work done in our bathroom tomorrow. Because the toilet will be disabled part of the time and my hubby and I take medication that we need to frequently use it we will be away from our house for several hours tomorrow. I plan on taking plenty of crocheting with me. Unfortunately I won't be able to get on the internet while we are away so won't be able to catch up on everything until late tomorrow evening. So everyone enjoy the rest of "I Love Yarn" day. Of course to quote myself from earler today in this post - "Any day that you get to play with yarn even just for a few minutes is a "I Love Yarn" day." Good Night, sweet friends.

What is your favorite hook brand and size of all time, and why? I'll give you my answer when I get back. :hook

I usually use Boye because that was the first brand that I got. I use various sizes because I crochet using thread and yarn.

I have both Boye and Aero hooks. The aero hooks were either my great-grans or my grandma's, but I have to say that I prefer the Boye hooks due to their shape. I've been using an "H" hook alot lately....

I have to say that I am in LOVE with the Clover Soft Touch hooks, no matter the size, though I am partial to the I because of the way I hold the Clover hooks, I crochet more loosely so anything calling for a J, I usually use an I. I do love my G too, because of the amigurumi I make.

These are what I use for size G & under; H & above I have bamboo-handled ones. I limited myself to ONE hook for each size so I've only kept what I really like!!

Hello Everyone, Since late this afternoon I have been catching up on my reading of this thread. Two problems with that - haven't been crocheting just reading and haven't read all of the thread yet. Congratualtions to all of the winners today. I just loved looking at or hearing about what everyone was working on. Now I am getting very sleepy so I am heading to bed in a few minutes. I have a busy day tomorrow. We are having some work done in our bathroom tomorrow. Because the toilet will be disabled part of the time and my hubby and I take medication that we need to frequently use it we will be away from our house for several hours tomorrow. I plan on taking plenty of crocheting with me. Unfortunately I won't be able to get on the internet while we are away so won't be able to catch up on everything until late tomorrow evening. So everyone enjoy the rest of "I Love Yarn" day. Of course to quote myself from earler today in this post - "Any day that you get to play with yarn even just for a few minutes is a "I Love Yarn" day." Good Night, sweet friends.

Hope you get lots of crochet done tomorrow! Have a great night! :hug

These are what I use for size G & under; H & above I have bamboo-handled ones. I limited myself to ONE hook for each size so I've only kept what I really like!!

ONE?! See, to me, hooks are like anything good.. and I can't ever stop at say.. one chip. Hence, I have a hoarded stash of hooks!

I prefer Boye, mostly because it is the first brand I started using and it was the first brand tatting shuttle too so Boye is kind of special too me. Plus, they have always worked great for me I haven't had a reason to change. I don't have a size preference though.

Someone mentioned earlier about the online yarn shop Deramores so I checked them out. They have great prices (at least the ones I've looked at so far). The first one I saw was just a bit over the wholesale price. And you don't have to order a bag of 10 to get that price either.

Does anyone know what the dollar limit is before you get charged duty tax though?

I finished my hat finally, lol. I put it on completely happy with how it turned out, and then my 17 yo son says, "Mom, you are not a hat person" Gotta love his honesty, lol! So, I don't look like a fashion model in the hat (or in anything else) but it isn't the hats fault <grin>

Well got the second scarf done. :whew:dance

Tiffany thanks for offering it a home but it already has one. It goes to the Illinois special olympics.

The scarf I like it was the changing color every 5 inches that had me :thair.

Now do I start a third or pull out a UFO :think?

PS When I went searching for my 365 stiches... book I found 5 skiens of yarn stuck away with scrap material I had forgot about. All baby colors and textures - - maybe some hats??

post-51684-135897703976_thumb.jpg

Someone mentioned earlier about the online yarn shop Deramores so I checked them out. They have great prices (at least the ones I've looked at so far). The first one I saw was just a bit over the wholesale price. And you don't have to order a bag of 10 to get that price either.

Does anyone know what the dollar limit is before you get charged duty tax though?

I have ordered from Deramores at least three times now and have never been charged a duty tax. When using a credit card, there is a small fee for the conversation rate - mine has never been more than $1-3 per order. I love the Stylecraft Special DK Yarn. It is so soft and nice to work with. They do not charge shipping to the USA. Takes about 10 working days to get my order to Ohio. At the bottom of their home page, click on the American flag and everything will then be in dollars for the prices. They have a sale of some sort going on now and if you use the code RAV2011 you will get 10% off - even on sale prices.

I love Boye as it's what my Grandma taught me on when I was young. I have to use those Susan Bates grippy cushions on them sometimes though because I have nerve damage in my ring finger and when the hook rolls across it, it can be painful.

The soft clovers are neat but they are too short for the way that I hold a hook. They dig into my palm. The acrylic light up hook is kind of like a clover but longer so that helps.

I have Bambino handled but I'm still trying to decide on it. I would love to try a wooden hook some day. I've seen some gorgous ones and the wood looks so smooth.

I was using an F or G mostly for amigurumi but lately I is my hook.... for totes, 'ghans, friendship squares, etc...

ONE?! See, to me, hooks are like anything good.. and I can't ever stop at say.. one chip. Hence, I have a hoarded stash of hooks!

Well, that's not my first choice for sure. :-) One of the realities of living in a motorhome though...

What is your favorite hook brand and size of all time, and why? I'll give you my answer when I get back. :hook

Susan Bates size 8/H. The yarn flows much more smoothly for me with a Bates hook. Size 8 as it's comfortable for my hand and most yarn works smoothly with it.

I'm home and here. I can actually do some crocheting. I have a glass of wine, a new kindle and a sudden desire to crochet a cozy. :D

Gee, I wonder why you have a desire to crochet a cozy?:lol:lol Enjoy the wine!!

Well, that's not my first choice for sure. :-) One of the realities of living in a motorhome though...

Ahh.. You make a fine point there!

I was the one that mentioned Deramores. I've never been charged duty tax so can't help you out there. I can say that their customer service is outstanding and I've never had a problem with any of the shipments. They run sales all the time and first time order you get a discount.

I have ordered from Deramores at least three times now and have never been charged a duty tax. When using a credit card, there is a small fee for the conversation rate - mine has never been more than $1-3 per order. I love the Stylecraft Special DK Yarn. It is so soft and nice to work with. They do not charge shipping to the USA. Takes about 10 working days to get my order to Ohio. At the bottom of their home page, click on the American flag and everything will then be in dollars for the prices. They have a sale of some sort going on now and if you use the code RAV2011 you will get 10% off - even on sale prices.

:) I've ordered the Stylecraft Special DK too and I love it also!!! The colors and price are great!!! I forgot to mention about the Rav2011 code:eek

Wow Michelle you blanket is lovely and the doggie too...

Can you tell me here where you got both patterns from???

hugs

Lillibet

Ok so here is what I have been working on today. The blanket is for my sister-in-law and the dog was made for my grand baby.

My Clover H is my go-to hook. It is comfortable and helps me to get a nice, even stitch. I am going through withdrawal, because I lost it this morning. I am very careful where I put it, but I know it is somewhere in this house.

:eek:eek:eek OH NO!!!! But today is your Lucky Day!!!! I happen to have a Clover "H" and I don't like the Clover hooks. It must be the way I hold the hook, it just feels too short to me.

So tomorrow when I see you, it's yours!!!:yes

Archived