Helpful Hint #20: Simple projects don't necessarily require a pattern

PBLKNP

Agreed! :) Your Spiritual Awakening helps explain the puzzlement I always feel when I'm asked for the pattern for the hat / neck scarf I'm working on in public. I've made the hat over 30 times (first as a Chemo Hat, now as a Hat for the Homeless), and the neck scarf is...well...not a fitted garment.

Depending on whether I feel like working with a K / L / M / N hook, I'll chain up anywhere from 15 to 20 sts and have 13 to 18 real scs in the rows (6" wide for this community project). I double-strand the yarns, keeping one yarn throughout the 48" long neck scarf and rotating the others so that they coordinate with the "base" yarn but use up oddball lengths.

And that's the "pattern," Ladies and Gentlemen! (After I become more comfy with knitting, I'm sure I'll have a similar set of instructions for a knitted neck scarf....)

The hat is similarly simple.

DCM

Yeah, that's what I figured...it would be even easier with crocheting because you don't even need to take the article off the needles to judge the width. You can just pick a stitch pattern and yarn you love and go for it!

:manyheart

I posted a comment on your blog -- basically saying that you've planted a seed and I'll try to be braver next time I have a project that could easily be done without a pattern. I have felt a little silly looking up a pattern for a scarf that is just row after row of DCs! LOL!

Archived