nemomum

1909 lacis work book available free online

Hello everyone,

I recently read a reference to a book on lacis while reading about historical needlework. It was published in 1909 and is a complete guide by Carita. I bought a copy off eBay but I found that is it available free online because it is out of copyright. I thought members may enjoy reading it. Here is the link:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Carita

Nemomum

Thank you! some of those vintage books have beautiful patterns! I'm checking it out right now.

Edited by Momcrochets

I downloaded this today and have begun reading the preface. My, but the author is opinionated, isn't she? I wonder how many lace workers in 2011 would subscribe to her constrictions... I am finding this very interesting. Thank you for the link, Nemomum.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! :clap

My Grandma told me when she was teaching and showing me how to crochet, that when she was small they would use netting and a needle to make pictures like Filet crochet.

Back then (and even when I was growing up) you weren't as quick to throw socks and clothes away if they had a hole or tear in it. How many of you remember darning?

I didn't do much filet, I was too busy making fancy edges for my hankies and learning basic crochet items, graphs, abbreviations, etc. When I did get back to it as an adult, I found out that most patterns were the Filet crochet we do now, with the net background and the design all done at once.

I think the author of the Lacis book would be very upset with me!!!

What an interesting read! Thanks so much for sharing! I especially enjoyed her indignation against the evils of machine-made netting. LOL