How do you keep track of your stash?

I lined a wall with book shelves and I can see my stash at a glance (and i really LOVE the way it looks!). I have a tote for partially used skeins. I love my ball winder. I can't imagine myself keeping a spreadsheet of the yarn I have. I'm perfectly happy just looking at it. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm suppose to keep track of it?:eek

that was my thought. though i do keep it sorted...a storage bin of thread, one of worsted weight yarn, one of baby yarn and one of other yarn. Then i have my small threads, size 20, 30, and smaller in a tupperware container. My sewing thread is in a tupperware box but that is about it when i need yarn or thread i just rifle through the appropriate bin if i don't have what i need i go shopping

I forgot to mention that I do not use notebooks, spread sheets or what ever one uses to track of what they have. Mine changes so much or either gets added to it. When I know I got a project coming up lets say I am crocheting on such and such and I do usually have 2-5 projects going at once sometimes....anyways I know I am gonna get started on such and such in a few weeks, then I go to my totes and see how much yarn or thread I have for that project and get everything ready in a large bag, and if I don't have enough I'll order more or get it on E-bay or Stores if its not discontinued.

Another thing when the skein of yarn gets down to 1/4 left and under it usually goes into the scrap tote. I do not like rolling into balls it stretches the yarn. Sometimes I put them in a larger gallon plastic baggie and mash air out and zip it up.

Tatting threads since those balls are small I put those in sandwich bags--mash the air out and zip it up. The air taken out prevents the balls from coming tangled up. And rto save on space I take the crochet threads if it down to 1/4 ball or less then I wind it up on those floss square things or better yet those foam meat trays after I clean them. I cut them up to whatever size I want. It works--makes a slit on the top or bottom and put the end of your thread there. Then they get put in baggies.

Then throw away or recycle the cardboard .

And crochet threads if it down to 1/4 ball or less then I wind it up on those floss square things or better yet those foam meat trays after I clean them. I cut them up to whatever size I want. works--makes a slit on the top or bottom and put the end there.

Terrific idea, thank you..:hook

"I had plans of putting everything in Ravelry (and may still get around to doing just that) -- it is a great tool. But I started with crochet books and could not find a fraction of my books in the Ravelry system . So, it sort of discouraged me and I never got back to putting my yarn stash in. But I am "keeping track" by how I "store it" fine. " by

DebraKay

That is what annoyed me too! Started with the books and could not find them there. I am not all that computer literate and had hard time trying to figure out if I could use my own pics for it, so I just quit.:think

Heck, I even get lost in Facebook, can't figure that place out at all.

As for where I store it, it is how I keep track too!!:hook

Whatever works is all that matters...:yes

As far as I could figure, you can't list any books that are not in their system. That is what made me crazy -- why not have an "Other" entry where we could type in our own books? I guess I should be typing this to the Ravelry people instead of griping here. I hate to even gripe as that sight is a treasure for so many things! I love CV for the educating, sharing and friendship and Ravelry more for the patterns, yarn ideas and pictures.

I am worse than computer illiterate -- I know just enough to get me in trouble. I know something can be done but can only come up with half of the knowledge to make it happen. Then I get everything messed up and feel like I have to finish somehow. Now that my son is off at college, I have to wait for breaks to get his help! Then I have to put up with his "rolled eyes" as he fixes it all. :D Where else would he get all those "my mom is crazier than your mom" stories?

I lined a wall with book shelves and I can see my stash at a glance (and i really LOVE the way it looks!). I have a tote for partially used skeins. I love my ball winder. I can't imagine myself keeping a spreadsheet of the yarn I have. I'm perfectly happy just looking at it. :)

That is just how I feel! I love to walk into the craft room and see a wall of color --yarn! I don't think I could decide on a project or even the colors if I already had a pattern picked out, just by looking at a typed list. I need to see the colors and textures!

Recently Jo-Anns had all their yarn on sale for 30% off and I had a coupon they had emailed me for an additional 20% off everything (including sale merchandise) so I put in a very large order. I kept getting confused as I was finalizing the order. I wound up printing off the pictures of each yarn along side the name & number to make my final choices. Worked like a charm! Probably a perception problem in my brain but since I enjoy looking so much and that is the solution, I don't think of it as a real problem. :D

Thanks for the replies everyone! Seems we each have our own ways of keeping track -- or NOT! My biggest problem is walking into Joanne's and see that my favorite yarn is on sale - but not knowing what I have at home. Or trying to remember if I have yarn to match that fleece.

I guess the only solution is to buy more fleece!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived