How do you keep track of your stash?

For you Ravelry trackers, how do you tell how much yarn is left over for a project? I have almost full skeins, half full, almost gone and not enough to do much with. Wasn't sure how to track how much is gone or left of a partially used skein.

You can put your notes in the comments part.

There is a yardage spot but I'm not sure if you can change that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For you Ravelry trackers, how do you tell how much yarn is left over for a project? I have almost full skeins, half full, almost gone and not enough to do much with. :P Wasn't sure how to track how much is gone or left of a partially used skein.

You can change the amount easily by editing the info, just click on edit and change it.

Well I'm going to try Ravelry to get organized. Mine is in plastic totes on all three levels of our house. Oh and some is in canvas totes, baskets, and boxes. It is out of control. Wish me luck. Maybe I'll start on it tomorrow. :blush

Since you are asking about keeping track of it and NOT how to store it: Ravelry. .....

Wow Empress :queen:bee ....:think Actually, how I store it, IS how I keep track of it. I know it is not nearly as organized and professional as your method :tup but for my purposes it works fine and looks so pretty :artist in the open wire cube shelving. I can easily take pictures :photo of my cube shelving and see what colors I have (and I can pretty much tell what type of yarn too) before shopping a sale for that indescriminate buying :shop I said I was trying to stay away from. I actually had all of my pictures :gallery on my other phone but have not taken new ones since I got my latest Iphone :ipod. I should do that. As far as shopping for a project, I just take my pattern to the craft room and see what is in the cubes that meets the color and weight of what I'm making. I can find it super fast since they are sorted by color and weight. Whatever is not in the cubes, goes on a shopping list :nbook .

I had plans of putting everything in Ravelry (and may still get around to doing just that) -- it is a great tool. :compute But I started with crochet books :book and could not find a fraction of my books in the Ravelry system . So, it sort of discouraged me :ohdear and I never got back to putting my yarn stash :yarn in. But I am "keeping track" by how I "store it" fine. :wink

Your method sounds very nice too. :applause

I think whatever works for people is fine. If someone is not happy :(with their stash tracking, then it is good to get new ideas :idea . But if folks are happy, then whatever they like should be fine. It is for fun afterall. :) Those doing it for a business obviously need to organize a little more seriously than a hobbyist. Even then, though, I think all should feel free to be as organized or as free with their methods as they want to be -- I say whatever they want is fine! I spent MANY years working (Navy 22 years) and always had to have things filed and stored in very specific ways. I managed to get outstanding inspections :whew but now..... I don't have to do it any specific way and if I want to change it all tomorrow I can do that too. No restrictions or requirements -- I sort of like that! :) A little anarchy is okay, and I might be rebelling just a bit against my prior meticulously organized way of life. hehehe :heehee.....

(I know I did not need to take your post as specifically directed at me just because it was made immediately following mine but.....I did just a little. S'okay, s'alright. ;) I wasn't at all upset or anything, but thought a quirky reply was in order. The profusion of smilies sort of ensures nothing is taken too seriously.)

Happy crocheting, storing, tracking and organizing! :hook

Sorry -- usually I manage to refrain from such antics, but today.... I couldn't resist! :blush

DebraKay, i had to laugh at the mental image your post gave me---the Yarn Storage and Tracking Inspector making a surprise visit to my house:lol:lol

i would not get a good report! I have a system and really it does work for me, but right now it looks like a whirlwind hit it:storm

I have like 5 plastic tote's of yarn and when I get an Idea I dig! or sometimes I'll dig just because I can looking for an Idea!

I have a clear vacumn bag filled with yarn, a 3 drawer dressed filled and two shelves filled. Oddly enough, I do not have to wonder whats in anything I have a memory like an elephant when it comes to certain things. I know exactly what books I have in print and ebook format, all my yarn, and fabric.

Ask me where I put my car keys and jacket and be prepared to wait atleast 15 minutes for a general area where they might possibly be.

I think whatever works for people is fine.

I absolutely agree!

Actually, how I store it, IS how I keep track of it. I know it is not nearly as organized and professional as your method

It's not my method, it's a suggestion.

I actually have mine in bins and wherever. I only have one uploaded to Ravelry and not even a photo with it. LOL :lol

However she asked this:

When I go to Joanne's I am so overwhelmed with the choices, then trying to match it all with something I have in my stash at home...

Is there some sort of phone app? Something else?

I don't know about you, but I can't carry my tubs to Joannne's everytime I want yarn. Just kidding you of course. :lol

And yes I saw where you had photos on your phone but I keep photos of my daughter and grandaughter on there so I'd run out of space pretty fast. LOL

She wanted an app and Ravely has the closet thing I could think of.

:cheer:hook:manyheart :yay

DebraKay, i had to laugh at the mental image your post gave me---the Yarn Storage and Tracking Inspector making a surprise visit to my house:lol:lol

i would not get a good report! I have a system and really it does work for me, but right now it looks like a whirlwind hit it:storm

Maybe that would be how the Yarn Storage and Tracking Inspector liked it too and you might get a gold star! LOL!

I was just having a little fun with it. I know I posted a picture of my "storage" cubes to help with my description, but it really is "how I keep track" too! :)

awww. You stole my line. Oh well, that is how I keep track too. I don't. But I am working on getting organized and will one day have a clue what I really have.

:think Waite a min, I am suppose to keep track!!!!!:eek

why didnt you says something sooner!!! mine multiplies:yarn like bunny's:rabbit

:lol I try to keep mine in Separate bins by color (boys/girl) to keep any Unnecessary yarn baby's LOL:D

I absolutely agree!

It's not my method, it's a suggestion.

I actually have mine in bins and wherever. I only have one uploaded to Ravelry and not even a photo with it. LOL :lol

However she asked this:

I don't know about you, but I can't carry my tubs to Joannne's everytime I want yarn. Just kidding you of course. :lol

And yes I saw where you had photos on your phone but I keep photos of my daughter and grandaughter on there so I'd run out of space pretty fast. LOL

She wanted an app and Ravely has the closet thing I could think of.

:cheer:hook:manyheart :yay

-Glad we both agree!

-Wow -- I got the impression you had all of yours in Ravelry. I should not assume!

-I never have come close to using all the memory on my phone (8 GB) and I have LOTS of photos AND videos of my kids, grandkids and pups! They take precedence and I could always upload to the internet storage if I needed to and then access as needed. But I don't think I am in any danger of filling this baby up.

-Giving the Ravelry option was great! It is the best tool going!

-I admit I played with this because of how you started "Since you are asking about keeping track of it and NOT how to store it" I thought it had the potential to sound a little chastising because of my posting the storage cubes. But I didn't think you meant any harm so I just had a little fun with it. It was very early in the AM after another sleepless night for this insomniac. All done being a child for now (I do love playing with the smilies!) and hope we are okay. :manyheart

I have like 5 plastic tote's of yarn and when I get an Idea I dig! or sometimes I'll dig just because I am looking for an Idea!

That is me too -- Mine are on the shelves of those cubes and sometimes I go in the craft room and just stare at the yarn for inspiration. Most of the time I will finally get an idea of what I want to start next. It is either that or com through the tons of books and pattern pamphlets I have. Another idea starter is to browse through Ravelry. But that is dangerous because I can lose myself in there for hours! Too much time looking and not enough actually crocheting! :hook

I never have come close to using all the memory on my phone (8 GB) and I have LOTS of photos AND videos of my kids, grandkids and pups! They take precedence and I could always upload to the internet storage if I needed to and then access as needed. But I don't think I am in any danger of filling this baby up.

My previous phone had very limited storage. Not sure how much but it seemed like I could only have about 80 photos and that included photos I was using for the caller, wallpaper, etc. I often had to email to myself and then delete.

My new phone has tons more storage but not everyone has that.

Wow -- I got the impression you had all of yours in Ravelry. I should not assume!

All I had said was Ravelry. Not sure how or why you thought I had it all there. LOL

I do look around Ravelry a lot and know most of the features.

I thought it had the potential to sound a little chastising because of my posting the storage cubes.

I wasn't aiming it at anyone. Most of the replies seemed as if they were not answering her, or had missed that part. I don't know.

I am sorry if I offended you.

Another idea starter is to browse through Ravelry. But that is dangerous because I can lose myself in there for hours! Too much time looking and not enough actually crocheting! :hook

Or in my case, I'm at work and should be working. At home it isn't too much of an issue as the computer is in another room. But here at work where behind sits behind the puter all day? Between Rav and the 'ville, it's a wonder my job ever gets done. lol

I am sorry if I offended you.

Not at all! Please don't worry!!! I tried to make sure it was clear that you didn't at all! That is why I said: "S'okay, s'alright. I wasn't at all upset or anything," and "But I didn't think you meant any harm so I just had a little fun with it." and "hope we are okay. :manyheart" And I don't pass out the "many heart" lightly! ;)

It really is all good on my end! I'm not a real huggy person so how about a high 5 :h5

Maybe that would be how the Yarn Storage and Tracking Inspector liked it too and you might get a gold star! LOL!

Maybe!;) But what made your post so funny to me was remembering all the unnecessary tracking and recording I had to do at my job, and what a relief it is to no longer have to do any of that. :lol So the YST Inspector can come anytime and give me a good or bad report and I don't have to care one way or the other!:lol

:scrachin:eek Boy, the things you learn here in Crochetville. I didn't know I was suppose to keep track of my yarn stash. Well, I have to a certain extent over the years. Also began a record/inventory of what crochet patterns, magazines, and pamphlets I have. But have not updated that for quite a few years although I am no longer buying patterns, magazines, and pamphlets like I used to. Most of my yarn stash is packed away in boxes (cardboard and can't see in them) although it is sorted by colors. But such colors as gold is packed with the yellow, beige with brown, pink with red. Still I have a lot of boxes. For sometime now I have been wanting to go through my stash thoroughly but have been unable to. My hubby has some of his boxes of "stuff" stored in front of my yarn boxes. But because of some health problems I can't carry or move anything over 5 pounds. My hubby would help but he is busy doing the household tasks that I can't do right now. He is good about it and good at it and plus it gives me more time to crochet. So guess what I did the other day. You guessed it. Found a good sale at Joann's and bought some yarn. I know some of the colors I bought I probably have a lot of packed away but can't get to it right now. Also a lot of what I have packed away is RHSS and what I bought from Joann's is Caron's One Pounders. A couple of days before discovering the sale I began using a One Pounder that I bought sometime ago and fell in love with it. So one of these days (I hope its real soon.) after I make an inventory of my stash I will completely ignore all good sales on yarn and just shop my stash. Yeah right.:rolleyes:rofl :rofl

Maybe!;) But what made your post so funny to me was remembering all the unnecessary tracking and recording I had to do at my job, and what a relief it is to no longer have to do any of that. :lol So the YST Inspector can come anytime and give me a good or bad report and I don't have to care one way or the other!:lol

I can empathize -- I was in the military for 22 years. Unnecessary tracking and recording was my job. ;) JK I did have some other duties as well.

I can empathize -- I was in the military for 22 years. Unnecessary tracking and recording was my job. ;) JK I did have some other duties as well.

Yeah, the people who set the tracking requirements seem to forget that the actual job does take some time---you really don't have all day just to fill out the reports!

I found a way that works for me. I have a non working firer place. It

can not be used. I purchased large, drawers that are meant to be stacked.

They are six high and three across. The drawers are clear. I can easily see

the colors stored. I place a 4x6" file card in the front of the drawer and

list all yarn in the drawer by color and weight. When I remove yarn I

cross it off the list.

I did try the Raverly stash list but I kept forgetting to update it.

"I had plans of putting everything in Ravelry (and may still get around to doing just that) -- it is a great tool. But I started with crochet books and could not find a fraction of my books in the Ravelry system . So, it sort of discouraged me and I never got back to putting my yarn stash in. But I am "keeping track" by how I "store it" fine. " by

DebraKay

That is what annoyed me too! Started with the books and could not find them there. I am not all that computer literate and had hard time trying to figure out if I could use my own pics for it, so I just quit.:think

Heck, I even get lost in Facebook, can't figure that place out at all.

As for where I store it, it is how I keep track too!!:hook

Whatever works is all that matters...:yes

CLEAR plastic Totes and stack them all way up to the ceiling. The other end of the wall is all thread. and Fabric. Book shelves on the other side. that is how I used to have it. Depends on our next house I am gonna try to keep it the same way the set up I had.

Archived