How do you keep track of your stash?

My stash is growing, and I am having a hard time keeping track of what I have. Aside from yarn, I also need to keep track of printed fleece, and solid color fleece. Yarn - I generally use 3 brands, so watch for sales and what not. What I generally do is edge the fleece. But I would like to start using the edgerydoo squares into fleece "quilts". If I use the more expensive printed fleece, it is nice to alternate printed and solid fleece squares.

So, what it comes down to... I need to match printed fleece with solid fleece, and then add the yarn. How do YOU keep track of what is in your stash? When I go to Joanne's I am so overwhelmed with the choices, then trying to match it all with something I have in my stash at home...

Is there some sort of phone app? Something else?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really depends on how big of a stash and where they are stored.

I Once had 11 tubs of yarn and a big cupboard full of material, tried keeping lists and it never worked because I would invariably forget to list or cross off yarns coming in or going out, due to other responsibilities.

Now that I have gotten down to 4 working tubs I labeled them by type (worsted weight, sport and baby, cottons, fancy and novelty. Plus I have 2 small see thru tubs of threads and scrap balls. My material is down to a small 5 draw dresser broken down to baby prints, fine or sheers, thick or felt, and large yardage. The top draw is for scraps and small pieces.

There are inventory programs and sheets that could be used, but again just like lists you would need to maintain them constantly.

I prefer going through the tubs/draws on a weekly basis so they are fairly fresh in my mind, so when I am shopping and see a sale I can pretty much picture what goes with what. And if I was wrong, oh well, just means another shopping trip, and I am fine with that, :lol.

I have thought of making a small picture album of the stash, but then it would still need to be updated regularly, but as the old saying goes, one picture is worth a thousand words. :wink

Ravelry has a place to keep track of stash but I've never taken the time to figure it out.

I do lists. One master list, and label the tubs, or shelves with what's in that particular tub or shelf. I keep a copy of the master list with me, so when Im in the store, i can glance at it, and see what I am low on, other than that, I have no real system , the list is just for inventory purposes, lol

My :yarn is in 4 bins, my thread is in a big old hat box. I keep it sorted by color - reds/pinks/oranges, yellows/greens, blues/purples, white/black/browns, multi colors - in whatever bin has room. :yarn I'm currently using is in the knitting basket next to me, wherever I'm sitting :lol.

Ellie 13

I'm suppose to keep track of it?:eek

:rofl:wink

We have just learned with time that in order for it to be relaxing, (and get to go shopping more) not to get too serious about our stashes. Of course if you are in the business you would have to keep some sort of inventory. I am sure you would find a method that suits you by doing an online search. And there are professionals on the ville, perhaps one of them can suggest a good method for you. :yes

:roflThat was my thought exactly!!!!

And mine too:rofl:rofl:rofl

I have way too much yarn- to even think about organizing it- :lol:lol

I have an idea of what I have- and I like to go look and see what's there- I did buy clear bins so I can see at a glance what's in them!

Well, I once tried to put it in bins and label what colors (eg, reds, blues, greens, you get the idea). I think it lasted all of a week, then I started flinging things in more bins that I bought and of course not all of them are clear (why make things easy for me? LOL). So I just stopped thinking of it and just hope for the best when I need to look for something.

One of these days I am going to be overpowered by the yarn and they will find my lifeless body among the skeins.

LI Roe

Sometimes I take "breaks" from buying and trying to either plan projects or actually COMPLETE projects in order to decrease my stash. As many other crafters, I get overly ambitious and sometimes overwhelmed with ideas so I like to just slow it down and work on a few little projects or one big project and stick to it until it's done... then go back to my world of ideas and "want" list!! :D

You could use a spreadsheet application if you're being ambitious.

I've got more yarn than I could use in the next year, but that doesn't stop me from buying more. I really have a bit of an addiction. I can't go in anywhere without leaving with something I desperately "NEED".

Good luck getting organized. It is my goal to eventually get a bit more control over the stash, but for now I'm just tossing it into tubs and look thru it often.

I keep everything on an excel spreadsheet. Name of yarn, weight, how much, etc, and if it has been assigned to a project yet (and if so, if I need to buy more). Then I have a spot on the spreadsheet to which plastic bin the yarn is stored in. I keep all yarns that are already assigned to projects in the bottom bins (that I don't go into as much), and the ones unassigned in the top bins, so I can take them out and brainstorm, match colors, etc. I have all my Red Heart Super Saver in their own container, because I use that often for small things for the kids.

When I find a project that I want to make, it's easy to look over the spreadsheet and see if I have extra available yarn in whatever weight. If not, it goes on the bottom of the list, and from there, I know what to shop for or keep my eyes open for.

I have to admit, i am kind of in the "what, I'm supposed to keep track of it?" camp:lol But to make it easier to remember where skeins are when i want them, i have my yarn in plastic bins. the bins are labeled as far as the type of yarn, and my categories are mainly the fiber type and how it needs to be washed.

But things migrate out of their assigned spaces when I get an idea for something and start swatching. I also have 2 smaller bins that contain swatches and experiments.

I do have most everything entered in my stash on Ravelry, which helps me remember specific yarns. by doing this i discovered that the yardages and even yarn weights on the yarn data on Rav aren't always accurate---but you don't have to link your stash to their yarn info, you can just use your own info. So i think you could enter your fleece varieties in stash there. You can add a photo(s) to each entry. So that could work for shopping i guess if you can access the internet on your phone.

Everything is in clear plastic bins now. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this at first because I have an enormous stash, but I love it now. By large stash, I mean I filled around 50 bins. Uh-huh. It took a lot of time to organize, but now it's soooo easy to find anything.

All yarn that stays at a certain limited amount gets it's own bin, so all my Pound of Love is in one bin, all the Vanna's Choice is in one, Hometown USA is in one, and Chunky USA takes 3.

Then various weights and types are separated, so baby, suede, chenille, Jiffy, plush, etc. have their own bins, and sometimes many bins because of lots of colors. Christmas yarns, cording, and foofy stuff for edging are kept separate.

Of course, cottons take up a lot of bins of their own. I further divide these down by like colors and all balls of the same dye lots go into ziplock bags together. This was really time consuming, but now all the cotton is in bags from quart to 2 gallon sizes, so I know exactly how much of any color I have on hand, and can estimate much easier for projects. All cotton cones go into bins too, and this was a great idea also, so I know if I have enough for a rug project or not.

The vast majority of my stash is worsted weight acrylic and it's in bins by color, no matter what the brand name. I keep each brand together, and dye lot together when there are any.

I store my yarn in the open wire snap together crates shown below. (Mine are white, which I think lets the yarn show up better.) I have several sets and have filled most of one wall in my craft room with these. I used these for display when I did craft shows, both for crochet and my decorative painting. So, I just bought a few more sets when I needed to store my stash. I separate by color and it is fairly easy to tell in a glance what I have. If I have yarn waiting for a specific project, I bag that up and mark it on the outside so I don't mistakenly use it for something else or let the grandkids use it for their projects.

I have so much and still somehow find myself going yarn shopping for most projects. I have decided to put a stop to my indiscriminate yarn buying. I have been guilty of really stocking up when I see a good sale even when I have no project in mind. Then it sits there while I go buy more for the next project because I don't have the particular color/content/size yarn I need.

post-36681-135897701088_thumb.jpg

Since you are asking about keeping track of it and NOT how to store it: Ravelry.

It has a spot to list your hooks and another for your yarn.

It's just as easy or even easier than making a spreadsheet especially if you don't know how to do spreadsheets. The hardest part would be taking photos and uploading them. That's not even hard, just tedious.

You can then veiw Ravelry from your phone while you're at the store. You don't have to worry about dragging around a spreadsheet, losing it, forgetting to bring it, bending it all up, etc.

:)

Ravelry has a place to keep track of stash but I've never taken the time to figure it out.

It's so simple and just a few clicks and typing.

Click my notebook

Click stash

Click add new yarn

Click and type

:)

I have begun using ravelry. It's not hard to track if you use it for keeping track of your projects as well as yarn stash. When you start a project you can choose the yarn from your stash! Problem is I have 3 bins that I've categorized in there..and about 15-20 to go :rofl

I use the stash feature on Ravelry also. If I can do it,anyone can. Keeping track of my stash does not necessarily keep me from buying more yarn or thread unfortunately..But at least I usually have a designated project in mind, when I buy new yarn now, instead of a random purchase...(Unless it's on sale of course. :-)

:think Waite a min, I am suppose to keep track!!!!!:eek

why didnt you says something sooner!!! mine multiplies:yarn like bunny's:rabbit

:lol I try to keep mine in Separate bins by color (boys/girl) to keep any Unnecessary yarn baby's LOL:D

If I attempted to keep track of all my yarn and books/patterns, I'd have to take a week off work, just to organize everything!!! :lol :lol :lol

Ravelry has that section where you can enter all your books and booklets. I spent a good 4 hours entering stuff and I STILL wasn't done!

I'm suppose to keep track of it?:eek

Huh? Keep track of yarn? Me thinks me is in trouble. :rofl

Sometimes I take "breaks" from buying and trying to either plan projects or actually COMPLETE projects in order to decrease my stash. As many other crafters, I get overly ambitious and sometimes overwhelmed with ideas so I like to just slow it down and work on a few little projects or one big project and stick to it until it's done... then go back to my world of ideas and "want" list!! :D

Took a few months of not buying yarn, and did the same thing. Several projects were made, but the yarn didn't seem to go anywhere. It didn't make sense. :think

:think Waite a min, I am suppose to keep track!!!!!:eek

why didnt you says something sooner!!! mine multiplies:yarn like bunny's:rabbit

:lol I try to keep mine in Separate bins by color (boys/girl) to keep any Unnecessary yarn baby's LOL:D

Oh, now I get it! :eekEven though I use up yarn, it multiplies on it's own. gotcha :rofl

For you Ravelry trackers, how do you tell how much yarn is left over for a project? I have almost full skeins, half full, almost gone and not enough to do much with. :P Wasn't sure how to track how much is gone or left of a partially used skein.

Archived