Natalie's Econoshopper Bag - First Runthrough

dhaunae

Natalie (aka Natalie058) was kind enough to allow me to be a tester for her EconoShopper bag, and I finished the first runthrough this weekend. I apologize in advance for the cruddy pictures; I REALLY have to get a new digital camera! That being said ... here's how it went. I thought this would look cool in nylon, so I picked up a spool in black at my local WalMart and got started. Got the first row done and realized I was way off gauge (I crochet tightly and I think the nylon was smaller than the yarn Natalie used) but it was looking so good ... so I made it anyway ;) So you know how off gauge I was, my starting fabric panel was 12x18 instead of 16x24. Well, it turned out gorgeous. Just flipping gorgeous. It looks so pretty in the nylon that I'm going to line it and use it as a purse, or gift it to someone as a purse.

For the purposes of these pictures though, and since I don't have lining fabric atm :P I went on and stuffed groceries in it ... and for a little bag (finished size without contents is about 6.5" x 9" ... the mesh pulls up when it isn't stretched) it holds a surprising amount. This is not even close to stuffed full, and we have here a box of pasta, a jar of pasta sauce, two boxes of hot chocolate mix, a can of tea, a bag of sliced almonds, and two envelopes of pasta sauce mix.

EconoshopperBagFilled2.jpg

EconoshopperBagContents2.jpg

Hopefully despite the blurry picture you can see here some of the detail from the upper edge on the bag.

EconoshopperBagEdgingDetail.jpg

Comments: I crochet relatively slowly but this is REALLY quick, even with nylon which is a pain to work with. I'd guess it took me between 3 and 4 hours total, and that was for my first run-through. I've had no problem at all with Natalie's pattern; I followed it verbatim (except for gauge *blush*) and it's worked perfectly and resulted in a gorgeous bag. Next version will be with Sugar 'n Cream, I think :)

Archived