Help Needed: Figuring out yarn needed for projects

IMYarnCraz33

Question

I am not following any particular pattern so it doesn't tell me

how much of yarn A or yarn B I need.

Project one--

I need to make 54-4" squares in one color & 54-4" squares in another color.

Both yarn colors I want to use are 140g/5oz. and 355m/388 yrds, each skein.

Project two--

I need to make 30-6" squares in one color AND have enough yarn for a 2" border.

Yarn is 170g/6oz. and 289m/316 yrds, each skein.

So... my question is, how many skeins is enough yarn for each project?

I will be doing grannies in all dc with project one. My dc's are half inch long.

With project two I will use dc & may use hdc puff stitches to add a bit of texture.

Any help would be appreciated. If I need to add any more info, to help figure it out, please let me know.

6 answers to this question

someone will probably have a nice mathematical way to figure this out:P

but what i would do is get one skein of each of the colors to be used. Make a few squares in each color. make a sample of the border. then you can either rip out the samples and measure the yardage in each by wrapping it around a yardstick or something, or weigh each one on a digital scale. then you can figure the yards or oz./grams you need for each component.

and while you are at it, launder the samples to be sure there isnt shrinkage, if exact size is important.

and it is worth getting a skein of each color because sometimes different colors of the same yarn give slightly different gauges.

also if you are going to join the squares by sewing or crocheting them together, do some of that too, and measure that yarn.

another approach, esp. if you are using a popular yarn that has a lot of patterns out there, is to look for a pattern that is pretty similar in construction and size, and use that amount as a guide.

Maybe you can find a similar pattern of an afghan or individual squares online that will be able to give you a rough estimate of the amount of yarn you need :) There are tons of patterns on crochet pattern central (I looked at a bunch of squares patterns today). Good luck!! :cheer

I would see how much one square weighs. Multiply that amount by how many squares you need. That will tell you how many ounces (or grams or whatever weight you use) you will need for the squares. You can do a bit of the border on one side of the square and weigh that amount of yarn. Then multiply that by how many sides of squares the border will be on. For instance, 56 squares set out 6 squares x 9 squares would leave you with 30 sides that will get a border. So, if the border for one side = 1/4 ounce, times 30, would be 7.5 ounces.

Without knowing your gauge or how much yarn you use per square, we can't give a mathematical way of answering. If you figure out your gauge in the pattern and how much yarn you use to get there, then math can get you darn close to how much. Of course, your gauge will vary by day, depending on your mood. It should be fairly close though.

Just to let you know I made 1 square and weighed it.

If I can keep making them all roughly the same weight--I can get about 25-28 squares out of each skein. :cheer

That just sounds like too many, but we'll see.

I guess I'm so used to making 6 inch squares that these cute little 4 inch squares have thrown me for a loop. :D

Archived