Girl's Striped Purse (photos-see post # 8)

brendaKbrown

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much lately and it has been even longer since I posted a pattern. As usual, there is no picture as I am blind, but feel free to post yours. You may use this pattern all you want, but PLEASE do not take credit for my work!

This purse has turned out really cute if I say so myself. the front and back are vertically striped in black and white; the gusset is black, the top is trimmed with two rounds of red and the handles and final round are done in black. the ties are also done in red and fall down over the striped sections.

GIRL'S STRIPED PURSE

Skill Level: Intermediate

Size: about 7 inches wide x 7 inches tall.

materials: Worsted weight yarn, white, black and red; I crochet hook; yarn needle.

gusset: with black, ch 6.

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across; ch 1, turn: 5 sc.

Rows 2-24: Sc in each sc across; ch 1, turn. At end of row 24, ch 2 instead of only 1.

Row 25: Dc in each dc across. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Second Half of gusset:

row 1: Working on opposite side of starting ch, join black with sl st in first ch; ch 1, sc in each ch across; ch 1, turn: 5. (mark each end of starting ch.

Rows 2-25: work same as for rows 2-25 of first side of gusset.

Side: (make 2) With white, ch 17.

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, changing to black in last sc: 16 sc; with black, ch 1, turn. Drop white, it will be picked up later.

Note: I keep first and last sc of each row in both loops while working the rest in the back loops.

Rows 2 & 3: With black, working in back loops only, sc in each sc across; ch 1, turn. At end of row 3, change back to white in last sc, looping white a bit loosely across. Drop black, it will be picked up later.

Rows 4 & 5: With white, working in back loops only, sc in each sc across, changing to black in last sc of Row 5.

Rows 6-19: Rep Rows 2-5. At end of last row (black), fasten off. Pick up white; ch 1, turn.

Row 20: Sc in back loop of each sc across. Fasten off and weave in all ends.

Top Edge and Joining: Join black with sl st in end of row 20; ch 2, dc in same row and in end of each row across; with wrong side of gusset and side held together, sc evenly spaced around to other end of black row, joining one side to one side of gusset, skipping marked ch at bottom of gusset. Fasten off and weave in ends. Rep for second side, working the dc row across the top edge and then joining to other side of gusset.

Edging:

Rnd 1: Join red with sl st in 3rd dc at one edge of gusset; ch 2, hdc in same st and in each st around, join with sl st to first hdc, not to the ch 2.

Rnd 2: Ch 2, hdc in each hdc around, join. Fasten off.

Handles: Find and mark each end of center 12 sts on front and back of sides; join black with sl st in first marked stitch to the right of center; ch 25 and join with sl st in 12 st or marked st; sl st in nt st on purse; ch 1, turn; sl st in each ch across, sl st in next hdc on purse. Fasten off. repeat on other side, but do not fasten off.

Trim: ch 1, fold handle to outside of purse; ch 1, sc in each st around top edge of purse only, and working behind each handle, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Tie: with red, ch 90 loosely. Fasten off. Starting at center front, weave tie through dc row of sides and gusset. I like to skip 2 dc and then go down, skip 2 dc and come up, but it takes a bit to get it to fit right. Pull tie in to snug up top a bit; tie in bow at front, allowing ends of tie to hang down over black and white striped section.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone crocheted this yet? I would love to see it before I start crocheting, because I am not that great without a photo to tell me I am going in the right directions!!!

Um, also, what is a gusset? Is it a small piece that connects the front and the back and forms a bottom for the purse?

Yes, the gusset is the connecting piece that puts space between the front and back. If it didn't have that, it would be completely flat. Everyone who sees mine absolutely love them. I even had a three year old boy who wanted the red one I made!

Archived